Machete

Lemmiwinks

Just saw the trailer to this thing... it's like Saw x 10 lol OK, I have no idea whether the story is worth it or not but it's certainly the gorriest thing I've seen come out of Hollywood in a long time.

PS I especially like the scene when the dude cuts open a man's belly and uses his intestins as a chord to jump from the building lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCkW5MpeUXE&feature=player_embedded

When I first saw the fake trailer during the Tarantino/Rodriguez "Grindhouse Special", I was like WTF?!?! And I think pretty much everyone else was totally blown away then. Everybody thought "Aww how cool would that movie be?". Finally, Rodriguez decided to actually make it. The new trailer is awesome as well, but I really can't stand Michelle Rodriguez...I dislike her in every movie. The second thing is, that the violence in the movie, although totally over the top, seems to lack the kind of...I don't know how to say that...humorous aspect, making it probably hard to watch, at least for me. Other than that, it's a brilliant cast for sure, and I'm looking forward to it.

When I first saw the fake trailer during the Tarantino/Rodriguez "Grindhouse Special", I was like WTF?!?! And I think pretty much everyone else was totally blown away then. Everybody thought "Aww how cool would that movie be?". Finally, Rodriguez decided to actually make it. The new trailer is awesome as well, but I really can't stand Michelle Rodriguez...I dislike her in every movie. The second thing is, that the violence in the movie, although totally over the top, seems to lack the kind of...I don't know how to say that...humorous aspect, making it probably hard to watch, at least for me. Other than that, it's a brilliant cast for sure, and I'm looking forward to it.

I get what you're saying there, my problem with her is that she playes like the exact same role whatever the movie, it gets boring after a while...

I get what you're saying there, my problem with her is that she playes like the exact same role whatever the movie, it gets boring after a while...

No kidding... like in Avatar, I WANTED her to die...

Machete looks awesome... reviews aren't actually that bad at all either. Might even put up the coin to see it in the theater...

I don't think he's overrated. Desperado was a good action flick, not a standard one. From Dusk Till Dawn was superb and his part in Four Rooms was the best one by far. Ok, the Spy Kids movies were average at best, but then you've got some masterpieces like Sin City and Planet Terror (yes, that's a masterpiece, too, albeit a B-movie style one...but that was the aim of the Grindhouse Special), so all in all, as an action movie director, he's A-class for sure.

I don't think he's overrated. Desperado was a good action flick, not a standard one. From Dusk Till Dawn was superb and his part in Four Rooms was the best one by far. Ok, the Spy Kids movies were average at best, but then you've got some masterpieces like Sin City and Planet Terror (yes, that's a masterpiece, too, albeit a B-movie style one...but that was the aim of the Grindhouse Special), so all in all, as an action movie director, he's A-class for sure.

Couldn't agree more. Haven't seen Spy Kids movies but pretty big scar on his record imho. Either way, can't wait to see Machete :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Far from epic, let alone a master piece, especially after Sin City and Planet Terror (I seriously adore those movies), BUT Machete has more than a few things going for itself...

The cast: resurrecting Don "Miami Vice" Johnson as a racist sheriff vigilante is something a man with brass balls can do, likewise, Robert DeNiro is just ridiculously over the top with his accent.

I won't even mention Steven Seagal, whose appearance enhanced the entire year for me :lol:

The pacing is good, quite a few memorable characters and scenes (the priest, those nurses - hell, the entire hospital sequence is hillarious - the cars those mexicans ride...

However, apart from some gruesome violence scenes, and the odd joke here and there, not much moved me during the movie. It could be due to Michelle Rodriguez (leave Hollywood, please) and Jessica Alba (fortunately her looks are as good as they are, because I don't think she could lay down a good performance in order to save her own life, and let's hope that changes).

It could maybe just be the predictibility of the movie. I knew beforehand Machete was not going to be about character development and plot complications, but watching a revenge movie, which doesn't take itself too seriously in the first place, for the hell of seeing loads of blood and kills? No thanks. I outgrew Commando and the Rambo series by the time elementary school was over.

It is most definitely a fun watch, and I'd urge people to go see it, especially if they liked his contribution to the Grindhouse movies, but I cannot escape the feeling how the entire crew had more fun making the movie than I had watching it. A solid ninety something minutes of pointless violence, obvious plot twists, cheesy dialogues and cliched trash elements - but like anyone cares when it is all so fun!?!?

3/5

• 6 months later...