The best live psy act you ever saw

CosmoNaughty

Do you ever go to "forest trance" parties in DK or Sweden?

Nope because of the music played. I am a "tribal" person and either the music is darkpsy (not my cup o tea at all) or in between full-on/progressive (also not my cup of tea). I guess the music I am into (deep not too fast tribal) regarding Forest parties are no longer :)

Nope because of the music played. I am a "tribal" person and either the music is darkpsy (not my cup o tea at all) or in between full-on/progressive (also not my cup of tea). I guess the music I am into (deep not too fast tribal) regarding Forest parties are no longer :)

I see. Sadly tribal does not really seem to be played at parties at all anymore :(

my personal favorites last year

1.) Psykovsky in Ozora

He gave me everything in Ozora, as what i expect from psycedelic music! May be the best set i've ever heard in my live! Very special, but wonderful!

2.) Hallucinogenic Horses at Open Source Festival, Norway

Hallucingenic horses are THE supergroup in swedish forest trance. Members are the two guys from Derango, Makadam, Donkey Shot, Traskel ,and some more swedish acts in one big group! I had the pleasure to see them playing live last year i norway and this was better then good! This was fantastic!!!!

2.) Hallucinogenic Horses at Open Source Festival, Norway

Hallucingenic horses are THE supergroup in swedish forest trance. Members are the two guys from Derango, Makadam, Donkey Shot, Traskel ,and some more swedish acts in one big group! I had the pleasure to see them playing live last year i norway and this was better then good! This was fantastic!!!!

Uhh I am jealous man, I wanted to go really bad but my buddies bailed on me... it's real a dream-team right there B)

Uhh I am jealous man, I wanted to go really bad but my buddies bailed on me... it's real a dream-team right there B)

Yeah, you missed a really really great festival! The norwegian people are awesome and their festival are lovely! I was now three times at norwegian festivals and its definitly worth to travel there! However, Hallucingenic Horses is playing in Kroatia this summer, just a week after the Transilvania calling or so at a festival which is organized from the people from Lost Theory Records from belgium. I hope, that i'll find the time to travel there!

However, Hallucingenic Horses is playing in Kroatia this summer, just a week after the Transilvania calling or so at a festival which is organized from the people from Lost Theory Records from belgium.

Last time I checked, my homeland had a "C" in there somewhere, so let's drop the K, homeboy - Shit, I love sounding like a west coast thug... Imma scare y'all with my gat!!!

Aneew@yzz, come pay us a visit, I'll hook you up with a place to stay... Well, if you bring some girls along I will, otherwise -- -- -- -- NOT!

Yeargh!

1.) Psykovsky in Ozora

He gave me everything in Ozora, as what i expect from psycedelic music! May be the best set i've ever heard in my live! Very special, but wonderful!

That set was IMMENSE indeed, insanely braincurving. And I'm not keen on the darker stuff generally.

• 10 years later...

So many interesting live sets, through the years. 

If I have to recall the best gigs I have attended , live or otherwise, I cannot but mention the rare chance I have had to hear a dj set of Doof in London in 2000 which is probably one of the very last times he played the genre, and it was mindblowing. That night after him Tristan closed the party and it was also absolutely stellar, he played a ghostly track that haunts me to this day aha!

The same year I also attended Astral Projection at the Brixton Academy, Infected Mushroom at Cloud 9 and Technossomy, all in London in the winter of year 2000, amazing shows.

Then of course I cannot but mention the multiple times I have seen Simon: in London both as Hallucinogen and Shpongle (both twice) in Zurich where he played live as Hallucinogen in a real castle and then at ZNA as Shpongle in 2019, where it was a pleasure to finally meet him personally as he worked with us and licensed a track for the official compilation.

In a completely different style I cannot but mention the absolutely epic and fantastic vs. of Ka-Sol and BOTFB in Romania at the first Apsara, that was absolutely wicked, and a set to remember.

MWNN always stole the show at ZNA and it was epic both in 2017 and 2019, a memory to treasure.

At ZNA was also a fantastic experience to see both Ree-K and Masa and hear Masa in an epic dj set where he played proto goa and ebm as well.

And last but not least, I am SO SO happy to have heard Ubar Tmar at ZNA 2019 which was the wildest craziest funnier and most original artist I have ever heard live, hands down. In the hopes of someday be able to have him release somewhere, I am so happy to have woken up and danced like nuts at a very difficult hour!

And quoting mars who answered a while ago, the liveset he mentioned as being one of the best he ever attended of Total Eclipse in Bordeaux in 1997, well, you can now experience it first hand, as if you were there as DAT Universe just released a marvellous 3CD featuring the complete live and many other unreleased tracks.

11 hours ago, Jikkenteki said:

For psy related acts, it’s easy. Juno Reactor, Shango tour in Osaka. Uni opened and they really brought it as well. 

i think juno reactor is the epitomy of what live psy is all about
UNI omg now they are a real live act also, my fav japanese psy artists, except maybe a guy who resides in japan

Slinky Wizard 1997 Stockholm, Slide (Pete Martin) was on the lineup as well, but I have no recollection of the live-set of his. I'm sure it was stellar, it's just I'm not sure if we stayed throughout the duration of the event.

Infected Mushroom at Arvika 2006 I think.

Filteria 2007 or so, capital fellow! :) Had a nice chat regarding studio gear. +points for actually bringing a Korg MS-2000R which he tweaked live.

Miranda in Sweden, year uncertain but around 2007/2008.

Hallucinogen in Sweden 2014 dunno? I was amazed by the live versions of the classical repertoaire, and I'm surprised he never made a Live album containing these bangers.

Pleiadians or Etnica in Stockholm I'm not sure under which moniker they performed. At a party around 2017 perhaps? The venue was a bit on the smaller side, so it wasn't optimal. And I hope to experience them in a festival-setting in the future on a bigger sound system. Still their tracks are always nice to hear. :)

I've certainly seen more live but my memory is a bit blurry. These were after all some rather cloudy experiences. And I've attended a lot of parties where they played music from artists or Psytrance sub-genres which I'm not particularly invested in. And the stuff I do like, is rather rare in Sweden, even in the 90's it was more common to hear Techno than Goa Trance at the parties. 

And in the modern era, (Neo Goa Era) one might've needed to travel to Belgium or some other place where there has been a more active and focused scene with regards to Goa Trance. Maybe Israel as well, and the countries which host the big festivals with lot's of Goa Trance in later years.

All things considered, I now realize I have barely heard any Neo Goa live besides Filteria. So I would really like to experience some more of that!

On the wish-list:

Dimension-5

Ra

Astral Projection

MFG

UX

Artha

Artifact-303

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, technosomy said:

i think juno reactor is the epitomy of what live psy is all about

Funny how the worst live psy gig I've ever seen was Juno Reactor at Boom 2014. That was such a facepalmy mess I recall I left the dance temple before they finished. As a contrast though, their Ozora 2009 gig was great so I have no idea what happened in those years between.

3 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Infected Mushroom at Arvika 2006 I think.

Also seen them twice live in Helsinki. The years escape my memory but around 2003-ish and 2008-ish. Both gigs sucked so bad I went home before they finished.

3 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Pleiadians or Etnica in Stockholm I'm not sure under which moniker they performed.

Seen them live twice or so too. Helsinki can't remember what year and ZNA 2015. Neither gig inspired me at all, but then again, if you know me, I'm not particularly a fan of them in the first place.

And the good stuff I can remember:

Logic Bomb in Helsinki at the legendary VR Makasiinit, about 2003. Holy fuck that was an intense gig, back in the days when fullon was still fresh. I think I danced my legs numb there.

Xenomorph at ZNA 2015. Words fail to describe what an intense brainfuck that gig was.

Total Eclipse at Kosmos Festival 2019. He'd juiced up their old 90s tracks with a modernized bass section (thankfully no shitty kbbb fullon remixes) and holy shit those tracks kicked some ass on a big festival PA.

X-Dream / The Delta at Ozora 2011. Came down to the dancefloor from a nicely fluffy trip and had a properly contrasting brainfuck to finish it off XD

Morphic Resonance in Tampere, spring 2019. Cristian delivered, just as expected. The guy's a freaking wizard I tell you.

There's definitely been more that unfortunately escapes my mind right now.

The Infected gig in Sweden was nice. It was the first time I saw a Psytrance act perform on a stage at what was an otherwise more pop/synth oriented festival and stage. The tracks they played ranged from Classical Mushroom and perhaps The Gathering album and all the albums afterwards up until then. Which were in my opinion atleast their peak work. 

Only thing I didn’t quite like, was that Skazi joined them briefly and played some electric guitar. :D 

• Sad 1

i liked infected mushroom live. i saw them in arvika 2005-ish and amager bio cph maybe a year after that. 

really rocking sets.

astral projection live amager bio cph 2002 or 3 i think, it was a bit of a let down; they played the original tracks, with added snare drums and hihats and stuff like that. didnt really work :/

x-dream amager bio cph was also pretty cool! and ofc hallucinogen in cph as well.

i wish i had been to more festivals though as these were all indoor parties..

7 hours ago, astralprojection said:

i liked infected mushroom live. i saw them in arvika 2005-ish and amager bio cph maybe a year after that. 

really rocking sets.

astral projection live amager bio cph 2002 or 3 i think, it was a bit of a let down; they played the original tracks, with added snare drums and hihats and stuff like that. didnt really work :/

x-dream amager bio cph was also pretty cool! and ofc hallucinogen in cph as well.

I sw IM and Astral Projection together around the same time in Seattle. Even though I like AP’s music much more, IM was more interesting live.

• Like 1

So many, but to name a few.

One party in Copenhagen, spring 2000. Serge played three or four tracks, then the rest of Total Eclipse joined him on stage and delivered a amazing set. Chaotic Circus, Space Clinic, Free Lemonade... Many classics and some newer ones. After that Koxbox/Psychopod played for three hours. Starting with The Great Unknown and moving on to the classics. That was like five hours with nothing but great tracks.

Simon and Raja Ram four hours set at Ozora 2011. Chill and dance, Shpongle, TIP, Hallucinogen and some other side projects mixed to a wonderful journey. A perfect start to that day that also included Paul Eye's X-dream set. Which was really great, but also MWNN, Atmos, Younger Brother and Prometheus.

Prana at SUN festival 2014. First time I experienced Prana, before I've herd Tsuyoshi dj set and Joujouka live. This time Tsuyoshi blasted the dance floor with a perfect Prana set. Alien Pets, Taiyo (Chakra Remix), yeah you know. Also the whole evening/night was great, Benji Vaughan, Younger Brother, Shpongle, Jan from X-Dream dj, Children of Paradise all playing before Prana.

19 minutes ago, staffan said:

Simon and Raja Ram four hours set at Ozora 2011. Chill and dance, Shpongle, TIP, Hallucinogen and some other side projects mixed to a wonderful journey. A perfect start to that day that also included Paul Eye's X-dream set. Which was really great, but also MWNN, Atmos, Younger Brother and Prometheus.

Oh right, completely forgot the Simon+Raja 20th anniversary (?) set, that was nice too.
The X-Dream part finished with some version of "The 1st", that's still one of those magical moments you get once in a lifetime. I actually was a bit worn out and in a state of mind unable to dance, so I sat through X-Dream/The Delta in a plastic garden chair somewhere on the dancefloor. Didn't diminish the experience at all XD

12 hours ago, astralprojection said:

really rocking sets.

I saw Astral in Arvika 2000 with live drums, so three guys on stage. Worked really well. Nice touch, but maybe not what you experienced?

What Hallucinogen party were you at? I saw him 2004 in cph, with Frank E and Orion. I didn't liked the venue, but Simon delivered a banging set. =))

X-Dream amager bio 1999 or maybe 1998, I didn't have a ticket so I couldn't get in, lol, =P Went to Christiania instead. Hahaha, almost same thing in 2000 at big vega in cph. X-dream and Atmos on the line up. 18 years on the flyer, but when I got there they said 20, I was 18. So... on to Christiania again. =))