Newschool Goa article in Computer Magazine!

Agneton

So appearently THIS MAGAZINE made a 4 pages long topic about Newschool, and highlighted some releases from labels such as Ezel Ebed and Phototropic Records! I don't know if it's good to share the pdf here, but I'll make a small printscreen of a part of one of the pages for u guys, that can't be wrong :)...

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Like 1

Many congrats to all you New-school artists and labels for keeping the old Goa vibe alive! :)

I'm trying to read the article but even when I enlarge it, it remains unreadable.

I have the mag. The article is pages 128-132.

Very interesting, esepcially for those who would be interested in starting with newschool goa music production.

I'd like to know who wrote the article. Obviously someone close to that scene. I'd bet some Phototropic artist :)

Anyway it's good to see that. It feels like 1997 ahah :)

Nice, going out right now to buy this magazine! A Mad Scientists Night!! :D this reminds me of an old article i found in a Swedish music production magazine (musikermagasinet), where they interview Simon Posford and Martin Glover (Youth) around 1995. They explain a bit what Goa Trance is etc, and about the production of the Twisted album. All modern goa labels should bomb all types of magazines which emphasizes on the production of electronic music, with review copies of your latest compilations.

It would be really nice to see a studio special or something, where they visit some contemporary goa trance producer and let them explain a bit about the creative process as well as the equipment used. Props to whoever made this possible, this music has been neglected for way to long by these types of magazines, who most often focus on the production of regular trance, house and electro.

Also i believe firmly that these type of magazines will listen to their readers if they get a lot of requests for more articles like this one, Filipe should make a complete tutorial and submit it. :D

Very interesting, esepcially for those who would be interested in starting with newschool goa music production.

I'd like to know who wrote the article. Obviously someone close to that scene. I'd bet some Phototropic artist :)

Mars i just bought the mag today and i was asking exactly the same question. I have no idea who wrote this article but CM always does this section in every release they do , so i think its the whole CM team who wrote this i would say.

I am happy to share these great news with everybody as this is a victory for all of us.

Thank you all once again.

Yeah well, putting a good pdf online is prolly illegal, so sorry for that...

Agreed and we don't wish to bring any trouble to us and nor even this forum , any forum or anybody.

Best advice is if you can put your hands over this magazine , do it , its educational , brings a dvd with tons of samples and the latest vsts even including some free ones and its all for almost 6 pounds here , not very expensive.

really ???????????????????????????

i remember very well the 1997 years

yes same feeling :(

i think many people must be happy for such publicity

but

dont confuse years

enjoy the begining of new sound but there is no much similarity of old days(and i think the title ''new school goa trance'' sounds a bit cheesy)

Yeah man... i counted today we have about 150 goa artists/projects at least, but not much enough labels to sort all things you know :)

150?

Exaggerating a bit no? Maybe yes if you count everyone who started making music 2 months ago and found an artist name.

How many of those are truly professional?

can't u scan in 300 dpi and post here plx? :P

really ???????????????????????????

i remember very well the 1997 years

yes same feeling :(

i think many people must be happy for such publicity

but

dont confuse years

enjoy the begining of new sound but there is no much similarity of old days(and i think the title ''new school goa trance'' sounds a bit cheesy)

Those days aren't gonna return, we should cherish them. It was all Goa back then, it was fresh and diverse, there was this sense of togetherness but now we have to deal with the subgenres for better or for worse. It's good that Goa has returned the way it did, the production is better though it's gonna be difficult to top the music from the old days. Another advantage is that some Goa-veterans from the 90's are performing again and maybe start thinking of producing Goa again. Goa lives! :rolleyes:

Those days aren't gonna return, we should cherish them. It was all Goa back then, it was fresh and diverse, there was this sense of togetherness but now we have to deal with the subgenres for better or for worse. It's good that Goa has returned the way it did, the production is better though it's gonna be difficult to top the music from the old days. Another advantage is that some Goa-veterans from the 90's are performing again and maybe start thinking of producing Goa again. Goa lives! :rolleyes:

You produced goa before? Tell me more about you :)

You produced goa before? Tell me more about you :)

I'm a lover, not a producer. Who knows maybe one day...

150?

Exaggerating a bit no? Maybe yes if you count everyone who started making music 2 months ago and found an artist name.

How many of those are truly professional?

I agree, I think that a perhaps more realistic approximation would be something below 50? I mean something that has the production and arrangemente value of let´s say Ra, Artha, Mindsphere, Lost Buddha, Filteria, Artifact303, Goasia, Astrancer, Khetzal etc, there are more I know, but those were just some that immediately popped up in my mind when talking "new wave goa". These artists probably represents quite well what this new wave goa is, if one would have to show someone new to this, what it is and how it sounds.

And of course the quality of their output is ever-changing and improving. I think there are quite few that are fortunate enough to have a complete studio set up like Filteria and Goasia, but I am really impressed with what some are making with the few tools they have available. Im looking forward to see how some of those I listen to now will develop in the future, hopefully with more live bookings, they will be able to invest in better studio monitors, sound cards etc.

Overall if one takes a look at different forums dedicated to different genres of electronic music production, I get the impression that in other genres it´s more common that people invest more in equipment. Everyone and their dog seems to have some synthesizers like Access Virus or Clavia Nord Lead series, and Dynaudio, Genelec, Mackie and Adam monitors. But for some reason the overall Goa Trance producer seem to be more restricted, and often use either regular speakers or some really cheap entry level studio monitors. This is something that I think contribute to how people conceive the current state of Goa Trance.

Perhaps people active in other genres like for example regular Trance, are more focused on making it big time, since there are more possibilities for commercial success in regular Trance or Electro/House. So therefore they invest as much as they can, as they see a window of opportunity if they can compete with the biggest names in terms of production quality.

BTW is it just me who has noticed an increase in free Goa Trance releases lately with more or less undeveloped tracks? Most often with very cheap looking CD covers. It´s like the tracks that didn´t quite cut it to be released on some more well known label, are released on these labels, kind of like a "Salon des Refusés". I think quality control is pivotal if anyone outside this little bubble will pay any attention to it, and take it serious. People should be more active here in the production section and music promotion section, so people can post some honest feedback in order for people to improve in areas where they may be lacking.

Diaks, I am with you on most of the subject.

I disagree about hardware synths, as they are not important for sound generation and equal if not better results can be achieved with software synthesizers. Someone who knows his hardware synths well will make something good out of them, and someone who knows his soft synths well will also succeed.

It is true that most producers do not have proper monitoring environments and you can definitely hear it in the music, with productions being simply not good. This is purely a financial problem, which can't be blamed on the artists. My heart goes to them :)

And yes, lately there is an inflation of "free Goa Trance releases lately with more or less undeveloped tracks", as you call it. The thing is, that a few years ago if you are a new artist and you wanted to get exposure then your only possibility was to release something on a label. The label would have to spend money on the release, so it had to choose the tracks very carefully and ensure that everything is top notch and well produced. Today it's different - there are platforms for distribution of music without getting a single cent spent on just about nothing. Because it is risk free - labels don't care about quality and focus on quantity, as told to me by an individual from one of those labels - as bizarre as it sounds. They have zero quality control and release just about everything.

This floods the market with countless (literally) free releases which would never be released by any self-respecting label. So what happens? Some guy sees this article in Computer Music Magazine, and googles for goa trance. They end up downloading those releases because that's the easiest type of goa trance to download at the moment, they hear it and decide they don't like it. So they move on. By this, those free releasing labels are actually damaging the scene. The "free music revolution" is a welcome one, as long as quality is being maintained. Quality is definitely not being maintained.

This is all very frustrating to be honest, since I am also a label owner which is working very hard on putting out quality releases, and constantly telling my artists "this is not good enough! work more!". And then the reputation of this genre which me and other hard working labels in this scene are developing, gets shattered to pieces by the low quality releases which are widely circulated.

I'm afraid that this scene is going to the same thing that happened to full on - the few excellent releases were eclipsed by many crap releases and gave the genre a really bad reputation of being just not good.

End of rant.

A small injection of critique into the Newschool Goa arena:

I can't stop noticing the very few chord progressions happening in the NS Goa tracks I've listened to. Most of them are in one & one key only for the whole track as opposed to some of my favourite older tracks by AP, MFG or Pleiadians to name a few. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot going on in the tracks which is interesting but I miss those dramatic, "key" changes a lot in the new tracks.

I can come up with a track who has a chord progression I like and that's the Astrancer track from Energy Waves right in the middle of the track, more like a break kinda thing. Sadly just once in the whole track, it makes me want to beg for more.

Maybe the artists think it's too cheesy but I think, when done nicely, it creates a huge dramatic effect which makes a track an epic one.

A small injection of critique into the Newschool Goa arena:

I can't stop noticing the very few chord progressions happening in the NS Goa tracks I've listened to. Most of them are in one & one key only for the whole track as opposed to some of my favourite older tracks by AP, MFG or Pleiadians to name a few. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot going on in the tracks which is interesting but I miss those dramatic, "key" changes a lot in the new tracks.

I can come up with a track who has a chord progression I like and that's the Astrancer track from Energy Waves right in the middle of the track, more like a break kinda thing. Sadly just once in the whole track, it makes me want to beg for more.

Maybe the artists think it's too cheesy but I think, when done nicely, it creates a huge dramatic effect which makes a track an epic one.

Amen on that!

Key changes are awesome and I don't think they are cheesy at all if used in the right way.

Check out Filteria-Stars track from Sky Input. Insane key changes that send you to space!

Is it issue 155? I see that the October issue (156) will have an article (CM Focus: Go Eastern with our how-to on Goa trance) and I guess that's not what you're talking about. :rolleyes: