can you side-chain EQ?

just want to know if you can side-chain EQ in cubase 5 like you can side-chain compress. i want to be able to cut all frequencies' below say 100 / 120 Hz on the off beat when the bass is playing. just wondering if you can get a midi track to trigger an EQ to do this. i know how to side-chain compress but that is easy thanks to the handy little button they placed in the compressor plug-in.

just want to know if you can side-chain EQ in cubase 5 like you can side-chain compress. i want to be able to cut all frequencies' below say 100 / 120 Hz on the off beat when the bass is playing. just wondering if you can get a midi track to trigger an EQ to do this. i know how to side-chain compress but that is easy thanks to the handy little button they placed in the compressor plug-in.

you can do this with another trick:

creat a stereo group and invert the phase.

put a sidechain-gate in the group and put the bass in the sidechain of the gate, so the gate opens when the bass is playing.

now put an e.q. in the group with a lowpass around 100hz (put the e.q. after the gate, and experiment with the cutoff of the lowpass and also the slope).

now send everything (sending, not routing!!) to the group where you wanna kill the lows when the bass is playing @ 0db (when you don't want to kill the lows completely, try to send it with lower levels like -3db to -6db etc.).

have phun!!

Seamoon's suggestion sounds like it might work. I'm gonna give that a try myself when I get home just for kicks. As a point of interest, this wouldn't really work properly in the analog realm without undue effort because the phase shift caused by the low-pass filter would cause it to be not exactly 180 degrees out of phase.

Another possible option would be to use a multi-band compressor, but I'm not aware of any multi-band compressors with side chaining.

Just out of curiosity, why do you only want the low end to duck? It would be easier to just do it on the whole kick drum. Is there a lot of high end in the kick you really need to keep?