3. The fourth kind / Conscious Chaos vs. Frozen Ghost

4. Esoteric Agenda

5. Red Revenge

6. Blind Submission

7. Discopopulate (Frozen Ghost rmx)

8. Ingredients for Sestruction

9. Preventing Seperation / Conscious Chaos vs. Frozen Ghost vs. Psyqlops

10. Big Acid Binge / Conscious Chaos vs. Shift

Hey, times are tough. Like most people I don't have a lot of green to throw around. You have to be careful with your money. So when I am deciding to purchase a CD I want to hear it first. This isn't out yet, so I downloaded it. I've listened to it quite a few times and felt like reviewing it. That said, I will be first in line to buy it, but more on that later.

Conscious Chaos is Johan Schreuder from South Africa and this is his debut. I hadn't heard any of his stuff so this was a surprise. The main reason it caught my eye is that he collaborates with two of my favorite artists, Shift and Frozen Ghost. Hell, if I close my eyes, this might one of their albums.

1. Discopopulate - "It had such promise...my great machine. It was meant to be an instrument of progress. Of Creation. The machine was born purely of my intellect. Which I now know...was not enough. My creation was hopelessly flawed...and indeed dangerous.. for it lacked a human soul. And could be easily corrupted by those who controlled it. That's why I am making each of you."

Enter melodic acidic intensity! Those lines just swirl especially when the beat drops out. The bassline crawls searching for victims as the leads pierce the ears. The break takes on a symphonic tale of regret as another sample creates the atmosphere. What a tremendous opening...this is just shut your eyes and dance music. Stupendous!

2. Six Nine Six - "During the next mission you won't be flying alone. It appears that there is more to this alien thing than just talk."

More distorted atonal leads accompany alien sounds from Pitch Black. The lead rises with the track as the groove intensifies. There is a sci-fi feel with messages to pilots as the chaos continues. The break aides in this feeling with a cold string providing the foundation. Good stuff!

3. The Fourth Kind - A collaboration with Frozen Ghost has my ears pricked up in anticipation. The signature squelchy leads are present as melodies twirl around the clear bass line. It builds up almost to the point you can't take it, then the floor drops out and the melody takes a different shape. Purely groovy with twisted acid which makes quite a delicious mess. Not much on storytelling, just a punch in the face.

4. Esoteric Agenda - "I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. A dollar buys a nickel's worth. Banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter....All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say I'm a human being goddamnit! My life has value!"

This guy really knows how to set the stage. The same acidic, crazy leads start you off again. And it keeps going. Once you've heard the first 3 minutes, you've heard the rest. Variation....not much, but we ain't telling a story here.

5. Red Revenge - Acid. Leads. Groove. Repeat.

That's pretty much the description for most of the tracks, but this one is one of my favorites. So powerful and dance friendly.

6. Blind Submission - "What we think we understand, where we came from what we think we're doing, the more you begin to see we've been lied to. We've been lied to by every institution. What makes you think that for one minute the religious institution is the only one that has never been touched. The religious institutions of the world are at the bottom of the dirt. The religious institutions in this world are put there by the same people that gave you your government, your corrupt education to start up your international banking cartels....because our masters don't give a damn about you or your family. All they care about is what they have always cared about and that's controlling the whole damn world."

Wow that is one pessimistic and angry sample. The lead reflects that anger and this track is another one that ain't here to take you to dreamland. This is aggressive overthrow the government grab a sniper rifle type of psytrance. There is another sample which decrys Christianity and allows the track to regroup. Powerful and in your face, but very little variation.

7.Discopopulate (Frozen Ghost Remix) - This is the second track where Mr. Ghost lends a hand and he remixes the first track on the album. I'm a big fan of his tracks so expectations are high. I was only slightly disappointed. Crazy leads, crawling basslines, and a rich full sound. There is very little variation here basically presenting you with leads and running over you like a bulldozer. Pretty good for what it is, but the original was such a crusher that it would've been hard to outdo it.

8. Ingredients For Destruction - This track begins a little lighter with a still aggressive sound. Abrasive leads (is Artifakt hiding in the studio?) combine with crunchy ones as a distorted guitar makes it even...crunchier. Not much for melody, but maybe this was put here strategically to allow your ears to recover from the beating they have been taking. Much less insanity here with not a lot to keep my interest.

9. Preventing Separation - Any track with Frozen Ghost (3rd time is the charm)in it is fine by me. I don't know who Psyqlopz is, but I don't think that is how you spell that. :P Nonetheless this track is just fun. It bounces, it weaves and it sears. The melodies are all deadly and this is like getting hit with a brick in its intensity. Just when you think it is too much, they drop a few to give your ears a little relief. I'm a sucker for an acidic groove and this track has it in spades.

10. Big Acid Binge - And now we come to one of the reasons I bought this album....a collaboration with Shift. The lead that starts this track is strangled for all it's worth. It sounds like an unknown species calling out in warning. It ain't long until that beautiful acid barrage hits above the growling bass line. The break allows for an evil, alien calm, but quickly the lead grows in intensity. The last part of the track throws all the elements into an aural assault that will leave you dizzy. Wonderful.

Wow. That was a truly intense listen. Overwhelming almost. If you're looking for a smooth dreamy sunrise experience, you got off at the wrong beach, because this will pummel you. Very loud and very intense but with oodles of groove and melody. Just how I like my psytrance. I don't think it will be long before you see this artist on Nexus Media or Timecode because that is his type of sound. Some may find it too intense and difficult to listen to all the way through. For those individuals, I'm sure there are some Air Supply records for you in the bargain bin. You do have to be in the mood for this type of psy. The other critique would be that all the tracks sound similar. So, for variation I would say this is weak, but for in your face kick you in the balls psytrance, hop on board. Just when you think the genre is headed for the shitter, something like this comes along and restores your faith. Bravo.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Mdk

• 4 weeks later...