The "make a track using only your DAW and its native plug ins" thread.

Guest nectarios

Guest nectarios

Right then, the last Cubase VS Ableton thread on psyforum.co.uk, made me think about making a tune using nothing but the native plug ins of your sequencer.

Obviously we can use samples from our sampler libraries, yet use your sequencer's native sampler, if you are not simply dropping the audio in the arrangement.

Use the native soft synths, reverbs, EQs, compressors, delay, modulation FX...whatever of your DAW and mix and master the tune in there, again using only native plug ins in the mastering chain.

Would you say a -10RMS is good as a level for the mastering? Obviously not as close as commercial releases but something to make things a bit loud, yet not overcompress things and keep a "natural" sound to get an idea of things without them being heavily processed. Keeping an even level, would be better for comparing clips, besides the fact that I can't get much louder than -10RMS without making my mixes sound like shite

I'll go first using Logic 8.

http://soundcloud.com/disco-hooligans/leader

Made the kick from scratch using Ultrabeat, ES1 for the bassline.

All leads were made using the ES2.

Percussion sounds are entirely from the Apple Loops library that comes with Logic 8.

Don't look at this as a competition of which sounds best, as for example I am sure one can get better results than me, making a tune in Fruity Loops if they know their stuff, but I thought it would be an informative thread of each DAW's sound quality, as I am positive they are all equally great, the "big" ones anyway.

Peace out.

Nice idea.

But I don't get one thing.

Obviously we can use samples from our sampler libraries, yet use your sequencer's native sampler, if you are not simply dropping the audio in the arrangement.

Is dropping audio in arrangement audio track forbidden?

Let's see an example. What the difference if I drop WAV with long sound into my native sampler, turn off filters and envelopes, and just make long midi note on it,

or drop WAV into audio track... It will achieve same result, isn't it? ;)

-----

I'll go second using Reason 3 on windoze notebook.

http://soundcloud.com/goamech/goamech-parvatis-azure

Kick was from sample, pitchshifted in reason drum mashine. Substractor for the bassline.

All leads were made using the Substractor and Mallstrom.

Percussion sounds are entirely from basic refillz that comes with Reason 3.

I know mixing engine of reason not accurate, and EQs suck as well. But... There was not track mixing process in other DAW!

I think it can be done much more in Logic native. But with mixing of both Logic and Reason via Rewire - possibilities are endless. Is mix of 2 DAWs allowed in this thread? Anyway reason is not an DAW in common sense.

----

I don't remember 100% exactly about 3d one, but I think it was made with Cubase SX 3 [native plugins/fx/no gear].

http://soundcloud.com/goamech/open-mind-witchcraft-simplicity

Bass - monologue or EQ'ed vb1. Leads mostly monologue too:) Percussion was done with massive audio track work ( was made from audio cuts and one-shots). It's because Steinberg Cubase SX 3 haven't good sampler for drums, but have convenient audio editing engine. Cubase's algorithmic reverbs is sexy and musical too.

Good Luck

Guest nectarios

Nice idea.

But I don't get one thing.

Is dropping audio in arrangement audio track forbidden?

Let's see an example. What the difference if I drop WAV with long sound into my native sampler, turn off filters and envelopes, and just make long midi note on it,

or drop WAV into audio track... It will achieve same result, isn't it? ;)

-----

Its not forbidden to drop audio in the arrangement and yes its the same thing, what I am saying is, that you can obviously use a sampled kick, just drop it in the arrangment, or import it in your sampler and trigger it. The thing is that, for example, the kick and/or the bass patch, are an important part of what you can do with your sequencer's drum/bass synths. I always make my own kicks from scratch using Ultrabeat and its a good indication of the kind of kicks you can get from using Logic's native drum synth.

Every single kick on our 2 released and 3rd unreleased albums, were made from scratch using Ultrabeat.

Peace out.

Its not forbidden to drop audio in the arrangement and yes its the same thing, what I am saying is, that you can obviously use a sampled kick, just drop it in the arrangment, or import it in your sampler and trigger it. The thing is that, for example, the kick and/or the bass patch, are an important part of what you can do with your sequencer's drum/bass synths. I always make my own kicks from scratch using Ultrabeat and its a good indication of the kind of kicks you can get from using Logic's native drum synth.

Every single kick on our 2 released and 3rd unreleased albums, were made from scratch using Ultrabeat.

Peace out.

It seems Cubase SX 3 don't have good synth to make kick. Maybe it can be done in monologue, like I did kick in ES1. I don't sure about Cubase 5.

Logic have really awesome synth/sampler for drums, UltrabeaT. And it's like other native plugins very CPU/memory friendly! Another good thing about it - you can automize almost every parameter! Nice to know you use it in proper way ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...