Help a Full-On Old Timer out!

abysis212

So I got into Psy-trance probably about a decade ago. Classical Mushroom was my first CD...and I was in love. Then one day I discovered psynews.org (back before this site was taken down for renovation!) and psyshop.com and there my love blossomed :rolleyes: . I used to read lots of reviews and listen to all the samples of cds I could find. I discovered lots of amazing artists. Then several years later after getting tired of psytrance and feeling like nothing especially new was coming out my attention began shifting to the progressive-psy artists. I discovered Son Kite, the Digital Structures label, and of course Iboga Records. Once again I was excited for several years before I felt like I had a grasp on most all the major players and all the new artists that came out were not bringing anything new to the table. My tastes have since diversified into techno, house, minimal, etc...(at least as far as dance music goes).

Now everything has come full circle (though not for the first time). I find myself interested in the full-on category once again and want to catch up on what I have missed. My patience seems to be shorter now and I have less interested in going through all the reviews in the last five years and playing out samples from each album. So...I'm asking for your help. I am pretty picky about what I listen to at this point. I tend to like more mature artists who have honed their craft. Below is a list of some of my favorite full-on artists so you can get a feel for what I like.

Full-on: Infected Mushroom, Hallucinogen, Shpongle/Younger Brother, Logic Bomb/Tranan, Psysex, Hux Flux, Cosma, Saiko-Pod/Koxbox, Space Cat, X-Dream.

I'm also a big fan of progressive-psy artists: Son Kite, Ticon, Atmos, Antix, Ace Ventura, Fiord, D-Nox & Beckers, Bitmonx, Freq, Haldolium, Jaia, Phony Orphants/Emok, Vibrasphere, Perfect Stranger, and Neelix among others.

From reading some recent reviews I have discovered recently: Loud (enjoying their first album...haven't gotten to the others yet), La Mila (pretty solid for their first release...nice melodies), and a couple trax of California Sunshine (though some get too cheezzed out for me).

So there you have it. If you have any suggestions of great full-on albums in the past 5 years let me know. I'm also interested in any must have trax that may have been released on comps. There may be a fair bit of stuff that I have already heard suggested, and I of course keep track of new releases from my favorite artists, but as all you hard-core psytrancers know every time you discover a new artist or album that blows your mind it makes it all worth it again.

Thanks!

So there you have it. If you have any suggestions of great full-on albums in the past 5 years let me know. I'm also interested in any must have trax that may have been released on comps. There may be a fair bit of stuff that I have already heard suggested, and I of course keep track of new releases from my favorite artists, but as all you hard-core psytrancers know every time you discover a new artist or album that blows your mind it makes it all worth it again.

Thanks!

EAXCTLY!! That's why if there's only one album you'd get your hands on in 2010 it must be Alienapia - Goapocalipsis. I just can't hype this enough, it is like THE quintessence of 20 years of psytrance evolution IMO, I don't see how anything will come even close to it in the next few years.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvnJt4XI2LE

if the tension-release around 5:00 doesn't make you jump off your chair and start dancing there's something wrong with you :P

Yes, Goapocalipsis is a stellar release.

I'd like to make a full-on recommendation, as good full-on is a rare thing to come by these days. Be sure to check out Raz's new album, "Recorded Dreams", which can be listened to in full duration at his bandcamp site.

http://razkfir.bandcamp.com/album/recorded-dreams

It's a free download in high-quality mp3s or FLAC, but I think a donation won't be a bad thing. I might add that you shouldn't start with the first track, as it is the weakest off that album. The other tracks are very good, with fresh sounds and surprises. Sometimes they remind me of SA producer Tickets, at least the songs share the same mood imo, somehow/sometimes melancholic, very melodic, different. Really good.

Ah, one thing. THE full-on track, the one that I always recommend from the past years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23YFu8VWXc

I mentioned South African producer Tickets before, so I'll recommend one of his tracks, which is pretty unique imo, due to the 8-bit sound influences. The track is called "Tinnitus", but nearly every track on the album "Timelapse" (2006) is very good. Check it out.

Judging by the artists you like, I would go for some of the Nano Records and Neurobiotic Records stuff. Psychedelic full on sometimes edging towards progressive trance.

Check out Allaby, Zen Mechanics, Silicon Sound, Commercial Hippies, Sonic Species, Master Blasters, AMD/Dickster, Burn In Noise, Fearsome Engine and earlier Protoculture.

Here some of my recommendations:

Flip Flop - Floppy Drive [2008, Alchemy Records]

Zen Mechanics - Holy Cities [2008, Neurobiotic Records]

Headroom - Artelligent [2008, Nano Records]

AMD - Bigfish [2007, Nano Records]

Burn In Noise - Passing Clouds [2008, Alchemy Records]

Tron - Existence / Biologic [2006/09, Liquid Records]

Voice Of Cod - We Are Free / Gone Fission [2005/08, Organic Records]

Orion - Electric Behaviour [2005, Solstice Music]

Mr. Peculiar - Mind-Dala [2005, Sonic Dragon Records]