Koxbox 2010

PSY604

Posted Image

Hot Shot SAMPLE -- This sample absolutely defines the meaning of the word Koxbox.

Seismic SAMPLE -- Nice groove to this one.

Koxbox Promo tracks -- A few full, high-quality tracks that are available for a listen--not for download!

I really dig Frank E's recent work. He's evolved so much since the other two members have parted. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of these tracks this summer when I see him live!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good to hear that koxbox has taken a u-turn after his fullon album with the same name and gotten back to produce highly psychedelic psytrance :)

Haha, good one. :P And I totally agree!

You said that that first sample defines the meaning of the word Koxbox but I'll always wondered. What does Koxbox mean ?

Here's a quote from Peter Candy, one of the original members of Koxbox:

"we had a radioshow on a local radio around 1988 called

Coxbox...we just replaced the c with a k. Kox was slang at the

time for relaxing (maybe with a joint)"

You said that that first sample defines the meaning of the word Koxbox but I'll always wondered. What does Koxbox mean ?

From Discog's:

Koxbox is Danish slang and when translated to English, it roughly means 'energy box'.

Though this could be wrong, and I can't find any reliable translations. I've heard a few other interpretations in the past, but the most common is 'energy box'.

What's up with these annoying full-on basslines? When Peter and Ian was part of KoxBox the basslines was intelligent. Now it's just another Ibiza/israeli stereotype full-on bassline frenzy. The rest is quite nice but really nothing new here.

The only one that's interesting is "This Can't Be Real". The Riktam & Banzi Rmx is totally misplaced (and very standard boring techno/tech house IMO) and the rest is Full-0n with "heard it all before" sounds on top.

My personal opinion and 2 cents of course. But I am not at all impressed - so far.

Guest nectarios

I don't find them annoying, but when Ian was with Frank'e, KoxBox were writing the best basslines ever, proper pionner stuff.

My all time favourites being the ones in "The Great Unknown". Any how, Frank'e makes what he likes, and that's fair enough.

Peace out.

I don't find them annoying, but when Ian was with Frank'e, KoxBox were writing the best basslines ever, proper pionner stuff.

My all time favourites being the ones in "The Great Unknown". Any how, Frank'e makes what he likes, and that's fair enough.

Peace out.

I suspect Frank'e to make music that will get him gigs alongside the Ibiza full-on mafia ;)

The last CD and this is miles away from what he used to like and I seriously doubt he like these full-on basslines as he once told me he hated Israeli full-on.

Guest nectarios

I suspect Frank'e to make music that will get him gigs alongside the Ibiza full-on mafia ;)

The last CD and this is miles away from what he used to like and I seriously doubt he like these full-on basslines as he once told me he hated Israeli full-on.

Can't really say if likes the full on baselines today or not, as he hasn't mentioned anything about it when we talked. I know he has his IBZ side of things that will probably get him ore gigs and in more commercial clubs/festivals, than the trance ones.

In any case the rest of the music is a lot more psychedelic than his recent output.

Peace out.

My point is that he used to be fully into very psychedelic music. Probably the most psychedelic trance lover i have ever met. And here i am talking about deep grinding underground psy. Just listen to the older KoxBox and you get the picture. Then he moved to Ibiza, hooked up with the full-on commercial headz there and the result was the last CD which was far from being psychedelic and all about commercial full-on'ish trance with a small touch of some old KoxBox. The funny thing is prior to this release he told me the new release would set the bar straight and show those Israeli full on lovers how real psychedelic music is meant to be. And then he use boring predictable full-on basslines ;)

Of course there is a small chance he now like those basslines but I seriously doubt it knowing his taste in music quite well (Otherwise his taste has changed completely). As I wrote I do suspect it's a matter of getting gigs at the big commercial festivals alongside his Ibiza friends. Just as any of the old-timers jumping on the full-on'ish bandwagon! It's all about getting paid - not about the music anymore. And if so then it's also a matter of selling out to the big dollar god ;)

Guest nectarios

I know what you mean, and its not only Frank'e that moved to Ibiza and his sound changed suddenly, Dado, used to make some seriously psychedelic, bulldozer-driving-lush-psychedelic tunes before he moved to Ibiza, as well. I am not judging anyone, everyone is free to do what they like, for example I it was goa that made me fall in love with psychedelic (we used to call it "spiritual trance" in greece when you were playing out here in the '90s), but the music I make now is far from it.

And the music back in the early/mid '90s was just that, "spiritual".

Now its full-on, dark, progressive that sounds like house music (and I do love good house music, I released a tune on Dave Seaman's "This is Audio Therapy 2010 V/A)...generally there were no sub genres, implying anything other than, spiritual.

Then "it all gone Pete Tong", but I do feel that the veterans of the scene, whose music inspired to make music today, are making an effort to get back to the spiritual part.

Can't really put my finger on it, but I just feel positive about the whole thing.

Then "it all gone Pete Tong", but I do feel that the veterans of the scene, whose music inspired to make music today, are making an effort to get back to the spiritual part.

Who? :) I want to see/hear it before I believe it. I am probably very sceptic but hey the recent 10 years proved to me that it's indeed "all Gone Pete Tong" :)

I am also deep into House and techno but house far away from the trance scene as I think most of it is very boring copy-cat house and techno.

Guest nectarios

Tristan is for me getting back to the spiritual part of the music. No glitches and circus stuff for the kids to post clips on forums and ask "how to re-create that lead/effect/stutter", Master Blasters, you, Franke's new output (take out the bassline lol) is also deeper than the in your face, "chewed up and ready to digest" music he's done lately, although last time I hear him DJ I was extremely dissapointed...it was like Absolum was on stage, playing all them fast and noisy 3D Vision stuff that i personally find extremely cheesy.

Yes I know I only mentioned a handful of people, but them people have a "strong say" about where the music is going to go in the future and most importantly, there is at least some new music I can bother buying/going to listen to at parties.

And yes, there is copycat music in all genres.

Peace out.

This is a little off topic but. Elysium, I'm curious what do you think about Zenon label's output in the last 2 or 3 years and their minimal progressive, yet very psychedelic (at least to my ears) approach

and artists such as Sensient.

I just got Sensient's last album and heard it on my home system to expose all the intricate detail and really find it worthy mentioning as a bright spot

in today's sea of formulaic music.

This is a huge deal for me because I never was a fan of minimal styles. This however is something different.

Youtube compressed sound heard on PC speakers will not do it justice as I find his music to be really about the intricate details, but have a listen anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJnYXX6BipI&feature=related

I suppose you might wanna choose 720p setting on Youtube bar below the screen to get as good of a sound as possible

I agree with you on the old sound of Koxbox. That, along with Psychopod was some of the most mental music ever made. However I have not heard Frank make anything nearly psychedelic since Peter and Ian left.

great stuff! : ) sounds really promising. welcome back koxbox!

This is a little off topic but. Elysium, I'm curious what do you think about Zenon label's output in the last 2 or 3 years and their minimal progressive, yet very psychedelic (at least to my ears) approach

and artists such as Sensient.

I just got Sensient's last album and heard it on my home system to expose all the intricate detail and really find it worthy mentioning as a bright spot

in today's sea of formulaic music.

This is a huge deal for me because I never was a fan of minimal styles. This however is something different.

Youtube compressed sound heard on PC speakers will not do it justice as I find his music to be really about the intricate details, but have a listen anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJnYXX6BipI&feature=related

I suppose you might wanna choose 720p setting on Youtube bar below the screen to get as good of a sound as possible

Def. a cool tune with really deep sounds. But I really dislike the bassline here as well. It's just too boring IMO. I love tribal but where the basslines are more in the direction of old Shaolin Wooden Men or Psychic Warriors Ov Gaia. But of course that's a matter of taste really.

Regarding Zenon I think I replied to that on some other debate here a while back. Again their releases are cool when it comes to the sounds they use but the basslines are again, to me, totally boring. I guess they are equal to full-on basslines to me. Just in amore dark way.

Not my cup of tea really.