Astral Projection & Roy Sela - Joy EP

Lemmiwinks

1 Joy (Radio Edit) 4:56

2 Joy (Progress Edit) 6:44

3 Joy (Extended Version) 6:29

4 Joy (Progress Mix) 9:22

5 Joy (Chill On Mix) 6:20

6 Joy (Instrumental) 9:20

YAY Astal are back!!! Hmm well, kindof cause this isn't quite psytrance, more on the vocal club trance side of things... don't say I didn't warn you ;)

So, I guess that just by seeing the remix names you could guess which ones are worth skipping and which are worth listening to (yes don't bother with the first 4, just skip directly to no. 5 and 6). When you come to the Chill On Mix all of a sudden this starts getting interesting with a nice breakbeat electro-ish version of the track. The vocals eventually appear on here as well, but somehow they make sense here, I really really like this version!

Then, the best version is the instrumental one, although believe it or not, those cheezy vocals make their way over here as well, but just for a short while. The beginning is actually quite promissing, more on the chilled progressive side of things, you have a hard time realizing this is Astral, all those little trademarks that made their sound aren't there any more, instead you have a quite nice goth guitar loop. This might sound cheezy but believe me, it works out REALLY great. Then it kindof loses momentum around 5:30 with a pretty childish full-onish melody. Then, after a brief insert of vocals, the lovely guitar loop comes over again and there's anice melody on top, the end result is pretty good IMO.

I remember that already back in the days Astral came under fire from purists for being commercial, this one would've drawn a HUGE flame war a few years back. However, with people like Yahel and Infected Mushroom having defected to the commercial side this doesn't really come as a surprise IMO. For what it's worth, and as long as you keep in mind that this has NOTHING to do with the Astral we used to know and love, the last 2 mixes are quite enjoyable, I really like playing them while driving during a nice sunny day. 3/5

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...