Psyfactor - Futurised

Morpheus Music

STYLE

Lush, spacey electronica. Psyfactor looks outward once more on this new twelve track release, the composition titles giving a clear idea of the musical direction: Discovering Andromeda, In Space, Cassiopeya, Neptune's Waves. Here smooth pads and lustrous washes form colourful canvases for crystalline sequences and tinkling lattice works. Beats are vigorous and dynamic programmed affairs running a fairly high bpm for a chill album. Psyfactor uses the varying beats and rhythms of the music to hold the attention as much as the melody; percussive grooves layer and alternate with arpeggio forms bristling with sparkling effects, buzzing, electro bass lines rippling beneath. Frequently these driving regularities break apart into gleaming atmospheric expanses where the softness and liquid clarity of the synths can be appreciated by contrast.

ARTWORK

Futurised comes in a sharp, glossy two panel card wallet - no unpleasant plastic - disc neatly held in a simple pocket within. The front cover image is of a glassy fractal helix made up of myriad bubbles rising from a dense orange cloud mass into a bright sky. There above the cloud a beaming star illuminates distant planets partly obscured by immense distance. This design runs across both front and back panels, the rear section holding the tracklist with times alongside. The briefest of credits are here too as well as the Ajana website address. Inside the space is text free - the orange sky of the outer cover here leading down to the surface of a planet where alien foliage stretches upward unfettered.

OVERALL

Futurised is the second chilled album from Russian chill artist Dmitri Korablin in his role as Psyfactor, the previous Endless Universe having been released on the same Ajana label back in 2006. This latest offering is billed by Ajana Records as a 'psychill' album - and despite being loosely catagorised as chillout, the music is relatively uptempo, although clearly less so than Dmitri's other two uncompromising psytrance releases. There are sound samples of all the tracks to explore at Ajana if should wish to listen to the music there, as well as one free track to download. The digifile version of Futurised comes as limited edition of only 500 copies, so you might want to make a decision on this one relatively quickly.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is one. Its great, buy it.

I would really like to buy it but i need to make sure it's O.K. because his last album was a disaster to me :ph34r:

Anyone :(

I would really like to buy it but i need to make sure it's O.K. because his last album was a disaster to me :ph34r:

Anyone :(

last one? which ones u mean? Aries Madness? or Endless universe?

if u didnt like Endless universe - so u can pass this album out))

or if u dislike Aries Madness so - just try to hear a preview at psyshop of Futurised)) and

ok end of line, i just got it from a friend of mine and i'm going to review this myself very soon so keep watching,

It will be my firt review,

so far so good....

PS:EDIT: Ultimae records is distributing this album though the EU, so I'm going to review from my friend's Cd until my copy arrives (it takes for me 7 to 10 days for shipment)

btw!! try acid before listening from a start to the end!

Yes i did ;) , Man With No Name-Teleport...delicious :lol: ,

Ok Here we go:

Posted Image

Psyfactor - Futurised

April 2010-Ajana Records limited edition

Written-By, Producer Dmitry Korablin

Mastered by Vincent Villuis

Artwork by Laurent Antonini

Tracklist

1-Discovering Andromeda - 5:38

2-Flying Dolphins - 7:23

3-Are We Alone - 6:12

4-Futurised - 6:27

5-In Space - 6:00

6-Above And Beyond - 7:45

7-Cassiopeya - 7:03

8-Over The Edge - 6:53

9-Back In Time - 5:52

10-Purple Sky - 6:37

11-Neptunes Waves - 5:58

12-Out Of This World - 5:28

Discovering Andromeda is a nice ambient piece, some pads and noises but soon a steady pattern kicks in, this track perfectly embrace the overall style which can be described as (Uplifting-Progressive Ambient): the artist starts with some pad, strings, noises, then add conscicuitly layers and layers of new sound (percussion, drums, synths) until he reach a climax, where he drop of (breakdown, in that case at 3:10), new loops follow in.. Nice track, nice melody, nothing special, the Pads and overall ambiance are excellent well made the mix is also good. This could be my day after all: 8/10

Flying dolphins is a fast-paced track, fast synth bass from the very start, this is another facet of Psyfactor's Style: Uptempo chill, try to figure this out, the track is overloaded with FX/effects the same used in the first track, too much loaded at the same time, somehow useful but may hurt some delicate ears s nice pads at 1:50, followed by a steady drum pattern at 2:34, powerfull bass that keeps you away from the chaotic noises.. Breakdown then a new build up at 4:45, the transition here seems a little dry, not subtle, very rushed; this could be the artistic choice. Something terrible in the end, too much sounds, very crowded mix, ayyy, bad ending, like some fade out only 6/10

Are We Alone hmmmm… nice track indeed, it starts slowly and then rise up, acquiring new patterns in its way (the classic sound) but without all the “nonsense”, the background ambience is superb, charming, no signs of fills between bars. The artist just seems to add a new layer every time. No comment 7/10

Futurised is a very emotional, thematic track. Some weird sounds, but nothing coherent, the breakout at 3:28 is excellent but again it lacks some creativity. Tempting plucked melodies and structural electronic “glitchy” percussions, maybe too crowded at the very end, this track could be simpler and yet effective, bad outro 7/10

In Space another progressive track with the same structure as of track 2, deep delayed bassline, breakdown at 2:38, nothing special here.

Another breakdown at 4:03, this section is very much the same as Galieo Space Mission… 6/10

Above and Beyond let’s see how this ‘uplifting track’ is, same structure as always, things get very weird at 3:48, out of sync or something, just a BIG BIG mess, I couldn’t keep my headphone on, the delay on both drums and pad are out of tune. 4/10

Cassiopeya, Flanger, nice pad, but the mix is too busy, drums, lot of drums. I could probably dance since this is almost breakbeat. Wow, I liked that, the middle section, the clean stuff ahead, nothing to worry about principe in which you have a baseline perfectly aligned with it surrounding, nice flute melody, shapelessly and swiftly, huge pad breakdown at 4:20. Excellent, But you’ve put the fader a little bit up for the piano sequence, probably to cover everything else. Excellent work 10/10

Over The Edge the deepest track of the album, clean strings, some acid lines gabber’s noises which are perfect for the mood, disorganized sounds at 3:42, still great though, trying to be impressive, keeping away the listener from what’s next, kind of intelligent manipulation, an ‘edgy’ track, a classic conventional trip would do, but this track got it magic. Still the lack of creativity, all tracks sounds the same till his point 8/10

Back In Time is a mind blowing song, keep you bass eq. down cuz this track got big big beats, I really liked the drum layer, very original ‘ambient’ (the term start to feel inappropriate),very catchy. 7/10

Purple Sky, see In Space, same thing…No Comment

Neptunian Waves starts with an atmospheric, super-sonic pad, big keys, expecting the shift soon, a shift which doesn’t occur. Endless flow, cyclic rhythms done by some weird sounds. This track is simply better and perhaps unique as it differs from others before, a perfect demonstrating of the artist’s ability to manipulate and organize his track as he desire 8/10

Out Of This World. No comment either, I wouldn’t expect something different

I’ve made my mind, soon after I’ve listened to the album for the third time, I’ve decided I need some goa therapy right now, Man With No Name-Teleport would be excellent, why?, cuz this track is very much the same as Back in Time or Cassiopeya, technically speaking, the same progressive debuts, using the same elements and sounds. But what makes Teleport even better is not “How” it is made, it’s the purpose.

Technically speaking Futurised is perfect, because I think that’s why Psyfactor created it, but he forgot to put some spirits in his work, there is nothing that sticks in mind, aside from the beautiful sounds and astonishing drums, superb groove lines and electro basslines and other things that I wont probably see in other’s work. There is a terrible lack of creativity within the album; the sole objective is to get maximum impact by compiling maximum sounds inside a short amount of time, I wouldn’t be able to do this of course (although I’m a producer myself). There are no real transitions between parts, no fills, not a single lasting melody, no shifting in chords, massive use of the arpeggio in every form to give some feeling doesn’t exhort the artist to actually “perform” something original. Plus it’s very hard to keep up with the album, you’ll get bored within 5-7 tracks.

This is just my opinion, feel free to discuss

Farewell

Final Note:6/10

EDIT: 10/10 for track 7, and final note 6/10, not bad, but not that good. This track is just amazing, keeps growing on me, i may sound ridiculous but it's perfect

great man)) thanx for nice reviewing)) well, different tastes, unusual opinions) at least this is completely review)

p.s. about track 6 (its strange because lots of people like it more than others) - who said this is for relaxing?))) its a mind inspiration test)))

joking))) just for different tastes)

but i still cant get a completely painted view on this album because to much diferences with a tastes who had listened Futurised

and also ive met a problem much bigger than it - habits of people to usual chillout/ambient novadays, and my music just breaking their ears)

enjoy listening)

Yeah right now Cassiopeya is my favorite, like Space Galileo Station, I wish you would improve as you've got some huge potential ;) , :D :D :D Cheers.

PS: About Track 6, there is something wrong with how you used the delay on both drums and synth channels, as they look like out of synchronization, maybe a pre-delay, or an exaggerated feedback, or simply an non positioning record if using Live :ph34r: , anyway it's a big mess like i said but some guys may find it perfect as it's heavily charged with all kind of sounds (which make it cool, you're so good at that).

ah i see,.. well maybe because i always use a plenty of percussion in one time playing, not only one drum, 3 or 4 different hats at one time, two or three different drum percussions at once and all of it creating this strange atmosphere)))

i dont know why)) but i like it) to be a bit different

in trance im using tripple drum to logical delay effect (it creating stomping rythm effect))) maybe like this))

not a usual music making standart patterns like one drum one bass, one close hat, one percussion for example...)

I've just mad some modification in my review,

About the delay, I'm a typical Trance producer, i use a pre-compression on my drum line, then every thing else (Delay, eq, reverb), then another compression on top of it (including kicks and bass), with a very low attack and release, it gives me some atmosphere to dull static patterns, messing with feedbacks and thresholds during the song gives me the dynamic range of it, try it it's cool

Cheers :D

Please remember to post links to samples and where to order it.

Update: See my review and longer samples below. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Psyfactor - Futurised

Ajana Recordd

Posted Image

1. Discovering Andromeda - 5:38

2. Flying Dolphins - 7:23

3. Are We Alone - 6:12

4. Futurised - 6:27

5. In Space - 6:00

6. Above And Beyond - 7:45

7. Cassiopeya - 7:03

8. Over The Edge - 6:53

9. Back In Time - 5:52

10. Purple Sky - 6:37

11. Neptunes Waves - 5:58

12. Out Of This World - 5:28

Futurised is the second ambient-influenced, Psy/Chill album by Psyfactor since the release of Endless Universe in 2008. I never heard that album (save for samples) so I can't really comment, but read some positive reviews on it. That said, a full review ensues of this new Psy/Chill release.

1. Discovering Andromeda begins as a dreamy, ambient-influenced score. There's what appears to be an altered goat and/or individual's voice laughing that somehow works wonders. A chilled, downbeat kick drum enters around 1:52. The song moves forward, surrounded by gorgeous soundscapes, emotive melodic and psy sounds. These have been combined very well, producing a heavenly backdrop. I love the beat, and virtually all ingredients throughout the track until the last thirty-eight (or so) seconds, the latter where the track seems unsure when to end. I think that the beat could have continued just a little longer; fortunately, the section with the beat changes up and avoids repetition. An evocative score pours across the layers like liquid at around 3:32. The entire world seems to be swimming in colors and lights; with elements ranging from romantic to intoxicating. The last minute or two could have used a little more touching up (direction and magic). But the first two thirds are engaging, and showcase strong craftsmanship. This is a magical, tasty, and beautiful opening track. It's sensual too. I love it. B+

2. Flying Dolphins starts out with many psy sounds/scapes that are enhanced with ambient notes, multiple layers of ambient notes actually. There's an curiuos, fast paced sound/melody rising and lowering. It's soon met with more zesty, psy notes. Those notes temporally disappear to front a brief moment of breath before the song takes off via beat at 2:31. I really like this part, as the song seems to balance beauty and sensation fairly well. More notes arrive, some echoed; they carry the song to new areas of the land, and to a calm clearing, before soon taking off again. Tiny, melodic ingredients are gradually placed into the bigger pot, though the beat could have possibly changed up a little. The song seems almost bursting with sounds, for better or worse, and has less of a magical feel than the previous track. Furthermore, the sounds seem almost too layered at times; they don't flow as well, nor seem as congruent as the first. Overall this is a pretty good track with an experimental edge; I give the artist credit for taking risks. I'm simply not in love with the song. B-

3. Are We Alone begins with strong ambient notes that soon melt into a warm and intriguing, psy backdrop. Now THIS is the sound I love from this artist so far. I think the previous track was trying too hard. We're taken through a peaceful aura of colors in the first half. A slow, fairly soft beat appears, soon changing up, and letting the sounds breath in the infinite universe. At around 3:12, a tasty psy sound (like a skipping melody) trips over the reoccurring beat. The song develops nicely, and enters an evolved, celestial realm at around 4:10. There are so many nice elements working together here, yet none seem to overpower the other. In the last minute, the song loses its beat and elegantly returns to its contemplative, ambient-influenced direction. This is one of the most solid tracks by Psyfactor I've heard, and with a more satisfying ending than the opening, psy/chill number. Very good track! B+

4. Futurised is an energetic and driving, uptempo number. It's loaded with cool sounds, melodic elements, ambient notes, flying soundscapes, and a fast, motivating beat from near start to finish. Although I found the second song fairly good at best, I better see the draw to Psyfactor's non-psytrance, uptempo work with this one. The beat provides an intense energy and gives the album more variety. I'm not bothered that the song seems more beat/driven than that with melodies, although there are many melodic elements. The style, approach, and energy is inviting and catchy enough. Cool track. B

5. In Space is my favorite uptempo track on the album. This is an energetically driving, sweetly textured, and visceral/pulsating electronica/psychill number. The kickass beat, and how it changes up around 3:30 reminds me of some of my favorite electronica tracks growing up by Prodigy, Chemical Brothers. But before the track falls into Psy-influenced techno, the artist changes up the beat in the second half after a fantastic interlude. Suddenly, the vehicle takes off with what appears to be breaks around the core energy and rhythm of the ride. Both my girlfriend and I really like how the song takes off and develops, as well as the break/beat (and all other) work in the second half. I don't quite understand why some people don't like song; to each their own. This is one of my favorite songs of 2010. Excellent work. A

6. Above And Beyond seems to have received some criticism, but I like to judge a track for myself, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. This song begins more ambient based, and gradually attains many (to near exorbitant) sounds. A chilled beat arrives around 1:19 after a short, catchy lift. The song takes off, though remains down or mid-tempo. Melodies enter one after another, but the ambient notes really stand out as well done. They give subtle direction through the horizon until around 2:22 where a string of melodies pick up. Currently, the song is good. A peaceful interlude takes place at 2:57. Here is where new sounds arrive, particularly two or three (what I'll call) distorted, echoing cords. These distorted cords unfortunately get into trouble later on. Focusing on the song's continuation, the beat returns, and like a gentle tornado in concept: it absorbs numerous sounds around its deep, yet fairly soft and arresting movement. The beat works very well here, and as we cross over the forth minute. The problem is the distorted cords; they seem to become more out of sync to the point of distraction. There is a lot of overlap here, and in the case of the simultaneous pair of distorted cords; such overlap seems to throw off the measure, the timing of the beats. In this sense, I would have removed them entirely, or added something that better takes place. This flaw and/or gripe is heard without almost all other sounds in the last minute. I find it very distracting, and I have difficulty enjoying the song unfortunately due to this technical complication. C

7. Cassiopeya is a big improvement after the previous number. I realize that the artist likes to experiment, but this is the song I would have replaced the previous one with, as it's strikingly attractive, elegant, and catchy. The first ambient-influenced minute appears to incorporate numerous ticks, clicks, hi-hats, and various other elements that appear to produce a beat-free power. A shortly lived beat (great work) soon emerges, and updates itself into an even faster combination. The echoed melody at 2:24 I find rather simple, less contagious. However the ambient notes around 2:40 are very well done. The song is elevated by a lovely, musical fusion at 2:56. This part is wonderful, transcending. The artist pulls it off to an energetic beat those temporal excuses itself, in place of a beautiful interlude, from 4:17 to 5:03. At this point I've felt involved; I'm now enamored by the vibrant energy and harmonies entering. The beat returns as beautiful hymn-esque sounds layer a wonderous backdrop. Then they leave to accomidate a catchy, beat encore in the last minute before the warm atmosphere overpowers the final seconds. This is a strong and passionately produced number filled with lush atmosphere, elements, and harmonies. A-

8. Over The Edge is a healthy follow up to tasty, psy/chill, ambient-influence. The song sounds quite experimental, and although there are many sounds, none seem over worked or crammed. I really like when the artist takes time to develop the harmonies and backdrops, in addition to having unexpected, infectious elements at times. A psychedelic wave trips across the ambient notes and rhythm projected in the first half. The song seems to be growing, sculpturing itself to the magnetic sounds as it progresses. Then, at around 3:45, and before the track dragged for too long, a bizarre yet gripping sound combination enters. It's as if two insects are talking to one another. However both sounds play off each other to near simplicity and brilliance. The flow well, as the bass line appears to strengthen. Towards the final third, the entire melody approach changes up, though remains intact with the dreamy backdrop. I really like this track. It sounds inventive, creative, and diverse in ideas, while remaining solid throughout. Good track! B

9. Back In Time begins with numerous ambient layers. A strong melody enters at 0:32, and is soon enriched by ambient notes, a soft, but deep and effective beat, hymns, psy sounds, sustained melodies, and we're not even at the second minute yet. The beat soon picks up, becomes harder, more effective after the intro. The melodies are good here too, though the initial main melody remind me of a song I have by electronica artist Velvet Acid Christ. The song has a gripping interlude where the beat changes up and chills in the background to the atmospheric/psy elements taking place. It soon returns with its changed up momentum; the song avoids repetition by rebuilding in a sense, many new elements, and tweaking previous sound walls to the new skyscraper. In the final third, the strong beat arrives; it gives the song a more substantial, supportive feel. This is a good psy/chill mid-tempo number. I like the emotive, harmonious feel, coupled with floating backdrop, and beat work. There could have been some cool break work mixed in after the interlude I think, but that's no big deal. The song flows well and keeps my attention throughout. Good track! B

10. Purple Sky is a strong ambient-influenced number. The powerful bass line (without overdoing it) is great, and reminds me of some of Solar Field's recent work. I would have liked if maybe the melodies were developed a little more, but they sound good. There's some clever, dynamic mixing; the beat work is excellent, and sounds great with the melody/sound work, lush atmosphere, and ambient notes. The latter has supported the album nicely. It would have been nice if maybe more were done to build upon the tone and feel of the strong bass line early on. As the song seems to go through numerous sound details in order to hold the listeners attention. Take Solar Field's for example, who adds many details but also accomplishes so much power with grace, and typically less animation. Overall this is a pretty good track. B-

11. Neptunes Waves is yet anther ambient-influenced ride, albeit a consistent (without much of a beat) one throughout. It sounds nice, but I find the overall track more monotonous than the others, lacking in emotion and intrigue. What appears to be piano enters towards the end, but there are very few notes; not much seems to happen. I think piano in general can add good emotion depending on the artist's vision and musical abilities. The song here sounds less ambitious than the other tracks. It's okay, but kind of forgettable compared to many others I feel. C+

12. Out Of This World utilizes a beat to support the melody work. I suppose the song is more interesting than the previous number, at least for the first half, as it seems unsure where/when to end. Among all of the sounds however, I find very little that arrests my attention. Sure, much of it sounds nice. I would have preferred if less subtle work was incorporated in these final moments, or last two tracks. Many nice sounds take place, but not much relative to structure or direction seems to happen. I'm left unsatisfied in this final chapter. Towards the last two minutes, it seems that whatever support this may have had, disappears; sounds kind of pour all over the place. It sounds kind of random to me, and not as congruent as the previous songs. That said, Psy/Ambient lovers may better appreciate this atmospheric number since it is more Psy/ambient based. C+

In conclusion, Futurizeed is an interesting release with some very strong work/tracks on it. This isn't ambient alone per say. Tracks are loaded with numerous elements. Some involve driving beats of various kinds. Others incorporate a down/mid-tempo feel. There's plenty of uptempo work too. The album isn't perfect though. For instance, the beautiful, sunrise, psy/chill opening could have had a clearer ending, and Above And Beyond "becomes a big mess" (my girlfriend's words, though she loved the opening) after the first several minutes. Flying Dolphins seems to involve almost too many sounds at times, and at the expense of numerous sounds appearing less connected with others. But I like it to some degree, and it's through experimenting in part that the artist's work has matured. While I'm getting my negatives out of the way, I'll add that the last two tracks don't interest me, and a track or two in the second half seems similar in beat to one earlier on, and the mastering could be better (especially track 6 which makes me want to pull my hair out the more it progresses). Relative to positives: Psyfactor seems to break, or at least bend conventions at times, combine sub-genres, and basically come up with his own. For starters, I love the opening, chilled track, which could have been inspired from Goa, to Psy/Chill, and downbeat. Both Discovering Andromeda and In Space put a smile on my face, similar to the way I used to feel when listening to one of my favorite tracks by Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, or Crystal Method, thanks to having strong direction, melody/sound work, beats, and energy. Naturally, these aren't techno songs, but deliciously influenced psy/chill numbers with lots of psy, ambient, down/mid, and uptempo work. The beats (and the changing up of them) are generally great throughout the album too. Furthermore, Cassiopeya is just beautiful. Generally speaking, there's no limit to improving, and if the artist's third psy/chill album can correct and strengthen what was weak here, a masterpiece (yes, it's a subjective word) album may not be far away. Futurized is an interesting, well done album with a handful of very good tracks on it. While there's some room for improvement (the same can be said for every artist), I'm currently adding this to my top 5 Psy/Chill (includes downbeat, ambient-influenced) albums of 2010. Good release.

Favorite tracks: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9.

B

Samples / Orders

http://www.saikosoun...ase.asp?id=8409

http://www.psyshop.c.../aja1cd012.html

It's on Amazon too and I imagine various other sites too. Posted Image

Nice review Cocco!

The first couple of listens on this album I did not 'hear' it, but then it hits you....pure space travel out-of-this-world magic going on here! I totally can disappear in the colorful world/travel that is been created in Futurised.

The only critic I have is the sound/mastering. The sound-level/clarity seems to be a bit on the lower side/muddled.

Highly recommended!

Favorite tracks Cassiopeya (10-), In Space (9+), Futurised (8,5), Are we alone (8+), Out of this world (8)

• 2 months later...