California Sunshine - Rebirth

the goa constrictor

Artist: California Sunshine

Album: Rebirth

Label: Phonokol

Artist Discogs Page: discogs.com/artist/California+Sunshine

Buy this Album from Saikosounds here!

Review:

Reviewing this album is hard. Times have changed, generations have moved forward, and it’s kind of tricky to reference and appreciate this album while also maintaining a perspective of someone who might be new to this music. So I’m going to get a few things out first, then we can move into the review more solidly.

Long long ago, there was a project called California Sunshine. Having a name that is an obvious wink’n'nod to the blotter of the same name gives us our first level of understanding. If we take that concept and also interweave it with the literal idea of some California Sunshine you will begin to understand how to approach this album.

Cheesy named blotter of the 90’s + Sun shining California coasts = a very specific Israeli Trance energy. And it is very epic.

The album starts off with a nice updated version of their classic track Rain. Rain is a beautiful song on, what I believe to be their best album, Nasha. So the album starts by taking a piece of its past and fitting it through the holes of time and into this new world of EPIC. I mean, I know California Sunshine have always been quite epic in their cheese factor, but damn; this album goes above and beyond. They go above and beyond and do it well too. I was honestly caught off guard. I didn’t think that I would love this album as much as I do.

At first, I wasn’t sure what to think of the guitars (and there are lots of guitars), but after the disk ended the first time, I reflected upon the music and wanted to hear it again. The second listening, without the shock of the guitars, was even better. I was able to appreciate why they were there and the story that they helped tell. And there aren’t guitars on every single track or anything either. I just know to mention these things because I will be flamed if I don’t. But jesus christ, this album is so uplifting and so good.

This album feels GREAT. It makes you smile a lot. It pushes forth the energies of cosmic compatibility and hopeful longing. It allows you to appreciate the spring time flowers in bloom, the bits of rain that give those flowers life, then the sun shining down upon them and making them grow. The air of spring. Of life. Of rebirth. The album is a massive MDMA pill that you can ingest aurally and have no shitty hangover with. It just makes you feel good.

*FLASH* memory of playing on the beach with your family when 9 years old

*FLASH* memory of eating a big birthday cake with missing teeth because you just lost another baby tooth

*FLASH* memory of that sunrise on the mountain, in the arms of the person you love, breathing the fresh air of life, watching your friends dance on the dance floor

*FLASH* memory of that one smile, from that one person, that you’ll never ever forget

This is California Sunshine.

It is a massively big hug and a great piece of heart.

Now, for the VERY IMPORTANT DJ ANALYSIS OF THIS RECORD…

lol

Ok, so… I know very few people who would ever actually play this album out. But most of my friends are too cool to appreciate the level of beauty and cheese within this disk, so that doesn’t bother me much. This album is very much for certain types of DJs and people with certain types of tastes. I will gladly play these tracks during any sunrise set. In fact, I promise that if you hear me playing in the morning at a party this summer, I will totally rock this album. The momentum is infectuous. The drive is rejuvenating. The guitars are very unique. It’s not buttrock goa. It’s not metal trance. I almost want to say that it is like a proper Monster Ballads accompaniment to top shelf Israeli morning trance. Done right.

What’s really nice though, is that the album is something that over the past 3 weeks, I have just put on to listen to over and over. It’s not simply DJ material. I actually really love listening to this album and being transported into the feelings and emotions contained therein. Now I just wish Man With No Name would come out and release something totally killer and new again. That would be sweet.

So it’s California Sunshine. If you are familiar with them and like them, you should pick this up. While Rebirth doesn’t quite reach the levels of Nasha, it is still a fantastic album and reaches a completely different set of level and ideas.

I’m very happy that this is getting released just before the summer season starts, because some great anthemic California Sunshine is _exactly_ what this summer needs. Completely.

2010 has been an interesting year and I am very happy to have California Sunshine as part of the soundtrack of my summer. It will be a good summer indeed.

Hopefully you’ll have a good one too. Maybe California Sunshine can help with your soundtrack as well.

xoxox

-A’damn

Very nice and emotional review. Thank you for sharing your experience with us :) I'm listening to "The Sound of Goa" right now, and it's so nostalgic :)

sound of goa is nice, still not sure what to make of the remixes and feel i am missing something about this album. seems to lack substance to it?

sound of goa is nice, still not sure what to make of the remixes and feel i am missing something about this album. seems to lack substance to it?

The remixes are OK, but the original stays above the remixes forever :) It's just that I liked how it sounds mixed with progressive sound. I'm referring only to "The Sound of Goa". It definitely got some new energy to it and I kind of like it :) 

As I said, this is definitely not Nasha or anything. But for what it is, an album of modern mixes and a few new tracks, it does offer the energy that California Sunshine is known for.

Is it the pinnacle of their career? No.

Is it a really solid album for our summer camping experiences? Definitely

Album is good but not like Sinking Sand or Nasha.

You need to know this is just Miko. Harel have not worked on this album!

As i know they are not in contact any more but they still worked under California Sunshine but it seems splited...

I'm guessing most are able to see past this not-even-an-attempt-of-objective review, but to those that aren't: don't worry, this is just as bad as you would expect, generic cheesy full-on. Unless you, as the reviewer, have strong memories connected to the melodies that are remixed herein, or simply enjoy this (I am tempted to say horrible) kind of psy, then stay away from it. I must add however, that I've always found California Sunshine unbearable, even though some of their melodies are very emotional, so losing half their brain power for this album obviously did not spell well for my liking.

I'm guessing most are able to see past this not-even-an-attempt-of-objective review, but to those that aren't: don't worry, this is just as bad as you would expect, generic cheesy full-on. Unless you, as the reviewer, have strong memories connected to the melodies that are remixed herein, or simply enjoy this (I am tempted to say horrible) kind of psy, then stay away from it.

Indeed. The review led me to believe they still had the style that was California Sunshine but the samples did reveal that this nothing more than another Old school artist(Half of it) making generic full-on with their own small twist. Wish they would stop doing that.

I'm guessing most are able to see past this not-even-an-attempt-of-objective review, but to those that aren't: don't worry, this is just as bad as you would expect, generic cheesy full-on. Unless you, as the reviewer, have strong memories connected to the melodies that are remixed herein, or simply enjoy this (I am tempted to say horrible) kind of psy, then stay away from it. I must add however, that I've always found California Sunshine unbearable, even though some of their melodies are very emotional, so losing half their brain power for this album obviously did not spell well for my liking.

heh thanks, save me the trouble more often.

I've got strong ties to some early morning full-on of this variety. This album is definitely not of the caliber of what was written in the mid 1990's, but nothing really is. I take this album for what it is and the full tracks definitely move me. Trust me, I was prepared to hate this and slam on it as much as you all are. If I only listened to the samples a few times, I probably would have never picked it up. But hearing the full album play out a few times really took hold with me.

The melodies are cheesy as fuck all. The guitars seem almost out of place. It has a weird feeling of why through out it. But it somehow transcends all of it and is a really powerful album to me.

This is one of the reasons that I am overly positive in my review. I find the album to be really uplifting and strong in a way that should be expressed. I know it's an upward battle to try and convince anyone of this, which is why I am being very strong in my positive review. I really think it is worth listening to a few times and allow it a chance to work into your body. I have played the album for numerous people and they are all kind of taken aback by it. At first they seem kind of quiet, but by track 4 or 5, they really find root in it.

It's definitely an album I don't see many people playing out, but I think it is damn solid and far better than anything they have done since Nasha. I thought Flying Eye Land was rubbish and everything else really. They had a few moments with Nasha and Summer of 89, but that was about it. This album kind of captures that innocence of long ago.

I didn`t expect that, but I have to admit this album is a pleaser.. Very beautiful sounds, interesting melodies and high quality production.

So after a few years of not being able to find a record label who'd release their oldschool stuff, CS finally decided to call it a day (like many other oldschool artists still in the business today) and just go on with making full-on. I know many purists will be like NOOOOO, NOT CS!!!!, you know kind of like in zombie movies where the main carachter just realized that his gf turned into a zombie too. Also the amount of old tracknames with "2010" attached to them is a clear giveway that Miko is running out of ideas. I mean, there are only so many times that someone can make an updated version of Alala...

Now the part that caught me by surprise even more than the rolling bassline was the overuse of guitars, which makes it sound more like 1200 Mics than CS. Some guitars mixed in with psy work well, but when there are too many it kindof gets tiresome.

Oh yeah and don't let the name fool you, Sound of Goa isn't THAT goaish and not that great either.

Still, for what it's worth this album is not bad either, just average, and definately NOT what you'd expect from CS. But who knows maybe it will end up growing on me after a while.

Anyway, I'd conclude my review with one phrase: anotherone bites the dust...

Well I think CS managed to do what some other artists have difficulties to do... break the walls.. This album is a fine blend of Goa, Full On, Trance, Guitars... After all, we don`t really care about the style, most important is to feel something while listening an album. I just enjoy it and dance.

I like "the order", very psychedelic track. "Rain 2010" is beautiful, different from the original but still very emotional. "The fleg" is strong and powerfull, maybe my favorite track of this album. The other tracks are good as well.

I think Flying Eye Land was a good album and still is myself.

Sorry to hear that the group broke up.

If it's not the same group shouldn't be called CS.

I think they do need to move past their old sound be more flexible etc.

But this Album sounds pretty cheesy for lack of a better word.

This album is pretty cool. Starts with bit cheesy sounds but by track 3-4 it starts getting deeper and deeper and quite different sounding tracks.

The clean, soft, day time tripping mode of the californian sunshine drop is still there.

Sounds like an old funky man.

edit: now that the album is finished for the third time. its not that cool. the album cover art though is super cool.

• 6 months later...

i think that there is a problem here... not with the music... lets put it aside for a moment.

the problem is that there are two people who used to work together under the name california sunshine. they are not working together anymore- but they both use the name california sunshine. who should we belive?? i'll just remind you that the name "California sunshine" was acctualy the name of the first album that Har- el and DJ Miko have done together, The name california sunshine as a group appeard later on in 1997 when thier second album, Imperia, was released. lets move on in the time tunnel. the very last album that miko and har-el released together under the name california sunshine was "Wonderland". After that the two seperated. Miko relsead album under the name "X- Wave" and har -el reased album under the name "Adrenalin Drum", one of its manny former names (here are some of them: Brainflower, Carribian Sunrise :: MG - 3 :: New Bit Generation :: Unnatu :: Virtual Obsession). in 2003 the name California sunshine appeard agian when the album "Sinking sands" was released under out of orior. few words about this album... this is a released of unreleased track of california that has a very clear "Har-elic" sound- were these tracks done by har-el alone in the opld days? were these tracks made by both of them? it depends who we will ask. according to my expirience with both of them miko will say yes, har-el will not rememmber. who should we belive- up to you.

and now, again, two album, two diffrent people, two diffrent styles of music- one name- California Sunshine.

is it an attempt to catch our eyes with this Blasting name of the group that we all love that doesnt exist? Was this name given in order to promote sales? i guess all answers are correct.

my opinion: The name California sunshine should be used only if Miko and Har-el will ever play or create music together again. until this will come true, this name should be a nostalgic rememmberance of a group and sound that no longer exist. I belive that har-el can relay on his manny other name in order to promote itself. (if you will see an album under the name carribian sunrise, wouldnt you go crazy?? i will :)) but it seems that miko needs more the name in order to promote himself. manny people dont know him under x- wave, but every one knows california sunshine!

my wish is that the name callifornia sunshine will appear in the future once again as a group of two people that was the pride of Israeli trance of manny years... AMEN!

• 2 months later...