And the Winner is!

I liked the Disco Hooligan remix... :) (and more than any of the other I have heard, not that I didn't like them)

but too bad this had to become such a mess :(

a pity!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It smell of sour grapes because a goa track did not win. Simple as that!

As you can see, I updated my post before you submitted yours. You cannot say that because I publicly congratulated Disco Hooligans before this story all started.

But I don't give a fuck to rules interpretation anymore. I don't wanna fight you Kristian, I know enough. I'm just saying it's FUCKING unfair to Disco Hooligans to scrap their prize just because of comments on a situation you initiated. You take a decision, accept the consequences.

Rules of the competition aside, it seems to me that as these tracks were created as remixes of TAE, and contain melodies and samples from the track, Sheyba owns the copyright of them. [...] Even if not officially a remix, if a track contains a recongnisable portion of someone else's work, you need that someone else's permission to release it. This is just my understanding, and may be imperfect as we've never been that involved in the remix game at all.

I think you're right but I will further investigate, so that no more time and energy is lost.

Rules of the competition aside, it seems to me that as these tracks were created as remixes of TAE, and contain melodies and samples from the track, Sheyba owns the copyright of them. Restrictions in the use of remixes (created for a competition or otherwise) are universal as far as I know, and not made at the whim of the organisers, but because this is what the law says. Things can obviously be negotiated but AFAIK, by default the remixing artist willvget paid the mechanical royalties earned by their remix, but the publishing (ie. the royalties earned by the track it self, not just that version) remain with the remixed artist. Even if not officially a remix, if a track contains a recongnisable portion of someone else's work, you need that someone else's permission to release it. This is just my understanding, and may be imperfect as we've never been that involved in the remix game at all.

so lets just say that if i use different lion samples and rerecord that mumbling mumbo jumbo man sample in my own voice (mimicing the words) and change one note to the midi bassline i wouldn't be making a remix anymore but an original track?

As you can see, I updated my post before you submitted yours. You cannot say that because I publicly congratulated Disco Hooligans before this story all started.

But I don't give a fuck to rules interpretation anymore. I don't wanna fight you Kristian, I know enough. I'm just saying it's FUCKING unfair to Disco Hooligans to scrap their prize just because of comments on a situation you initiated. You take a decision, accept the consequences.

Disco Hooligans will have another slightly changed deal with us so don't worry on their behalf.

And I am not fighting you mars. It just seem some of your participating member,s and surprisingly you too, do not understand basic of copyright laws. Furthermore some of them do not understand basic rules entering into a remix competition or simply did not bother to read the rules before entering into the competition (their own fault). I rather had been without this debate and all the complaints as we did this remix competition in good spirit and thought it would be a nice experience both for us and those participating. It sadly did not turn out this way. But when people start attacking us for our rightfully legal decisions and also point fingers at the Winner (jealousy and sour grapes attitude can only be the explanation to that behavior) then enough is enough. And do not forget that the artists have known for 2 weeks prior to the announcement of the winner, that the rules had been changed. Yet NO ONE complained here or by e-mail or asked to be withdrawn from the competition.

Link to announcement

Only one complained (tripper) and he was not even participating in the competition!

I think you're right but I will further investigate, so that no more time and energy is lost.

Colin is 100% right and you should know that by heart as a label owner. No need to investigate anything but be my guest. It's already been cleared with our lawyer and copyright laws are indeed universal. Furthermore I have been in the music business for many years and know all these legal matters by heart by now.

so lets just say that if i use different lion samples and rerecord that mumbling mumbo jumbo man sample in my own voice (mimicing the words) and change one note to the midi bassline i wouldn't be making a remix anymore but an original track?

The one note change in the bass-line would still be considered copying the original bass-line as it would still sound too close to the original bass-line. The samples are not so much an issue to us as the original melodies and the characteristic bass-line.

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:02 AM -- 3 days after deadline.

Stop this sour grapes mantra. Drama is uninteresting.

I'm happy DH will finally have a deal. When is the new "release plan" going to be communicated?

Colin is 100% right and you should know that by heart as a label owner. No need to investigate anything but be my guest. It's already been cleared with our lawyer and copyright laws are indeed universal. Furthermore I have been in the music business for many years and know all these legal matters by heart by now.

I'm not saying the contrary. But I also know law is subject to interpretations too, especially with art, and dogs don't bite hands which feed them. I'd advise artists to read that Wikipedia article to begin with even though it can't be considered as legal advice...but there's more on the Internet.

Stop this sour grapes mantra. A group that worked hard and won a prize had it taken away.

Then give me another explanation why some attacked Disco Hooligans music? And give me a valid answer to why one of the complaining members when being confronted admitted if it had been a goa track winning the competition there would not have been made any complaints to the changes in rules from 3 tracks to 1 track. I spot double standards in the complaints and sorry i simply do not buy into any other excuse why people complain. It's just a cover up for why people are upset. Its as simple as I say. They are upset because not one of their favorites won. Not everyone of course. But those who keep complaining.

And as said the winner will still be released just under a slightly different agreement. So no one got cheated in our opinion.

We do not yet have a release date. It will be dealt with pretty soon though.

All artists had been noticed that there would be a 2 week gap between the deadline to the announcement (as a e-mail reply when they submitted the remixes) and they were told immediately on the 2nd of may (Deadline was April 30) that the rules had changed. Furthermore we could not predict that only 8 remixes would be submitted. Most did not arrive until one day before the deadline. So please how on earth could we announce anything before the deadline? Actually it was very close to the fact that we would have canceled the whole deal because only 2 remixes had arrived one day before the deadline!

It's utopia to say we should have made a public announcement about a change in the rules before the deadline when only 2 tracks was submitted. We always hoped a lot more remixes would be submitted within those 24 hours as this is quite normal in remix competitions (and because so many had downloaded the remix package).

So it's not really fair to keep insinuating that we cheated the participating artists. And at the end of the day you as a label manager also demand a certain quality on your releases(or at least i hope you do) and I am dead honest when I say we did not think most remixes was of such a quality enough for us to release them. One was pretty close to the quality of Disco Hooligans but too close in style of Disco Hooligans style so we did not feel it was wise to release two almost similar remixes (style-wise). Do not forget we also have our name in this remix competition and who would ever release something they do not feel is of either a high enough quality of too far off taste wise?

And please do not twist my words now. I do not say the remixes are bad. I say we did not feel they had the certain quality we were looking for. And also they did not suit our taste. I think that's pretty honest and a fair answer.

Then give me another explanation why some attacked Disco Hooligans music?

I don't have to give explanations for opinions I didn't emit. And the debate is shitfting.

So it's not really fair to keep insinuating that we cheated the participating artists.

I'm not insinuating anything. I'm expressing my opinion and you may not share it.

Where did I ever say you can not upload it to myspace etc.? I never said that! Please read what I wrote. All I say is you can not trade it via peer to peer networks or give it to pirate groups as you yourself suggested you want to do!

ok thanx Kris ;)

that's all I wanted

I thought you were prohibited free difusion on myspace & youtube. You made me very afraid. :lol:

Just one thing:

I respect the artist that you are but please don't say that we are jealous (the artists)!! Is an insult. There is nothing to gain, just fun.

Too, it seems to have been the first congratulated Disco Hooligans for their victory (my first post) who is unfortunately the victim (big respect to Nectarios Meidanis & Jordan Bonyo).

peace

Haha.. this remix didnt make any sense from the beginning.

There is pretty much nothing in the remix files.. So how do you expect people to make a 'remix'? I would find it interesting to start, but when I looked at the package I lost all interest. And I think the other 492+ people are with me.

Also changing the rules wasnt very respectful for the artists involved. How about making a new deadline 2 months later? Pushing people a bit more to finish their remix in time? Maybe offer 2 different tracks that people can choose from or combine?

And just cancelling it because people here make a fuss about it? Sorry.. but that is just sad and unprofessional.

It's with great sadness we have decided to cancel the Trance Africa Express competition. We thought it would be a fun and good idea to organize this competition. Not only for us but also for you. But after the amount of complaints and various accusations against us and in some cases disrespect and insults regarding the winning track, and that we changed the number of winning remixes from 3 to 1, we feel this is no fun any longer. The reason why we changed the number from 3 to 1 was because we only received 8 remixes (out of 500+ remix package downloads). It was simply not enough tracks for us to choose 3 winners. We also did not feel we received remixes, except for the winning remix, we felt was right for our release

We could have hired established names and not bothered to include any of you but we felt it would be nice to include you. Now we feel that it was a wrong decision.

So this is our decision and it's a final decision.

It's really sad things have come to this and we are aware some of you are very disappointed. And again we want to stress that we really appreciated all contributions regarding of taste issues.

Sad topic.

Congrats to Disco Hooligans.

It's a shame this level of bitching and low-energy actions and talks.

I don't have nothing to do with this remix competition, but I have and opinion.

Mr. Elysium I like your music very much but I don't agree with the way you changed the rules even if you could do it, neither with the way you dealed with the bitching, putting everyone in the same goa-fanatic package. My view of yourself as a person is not so good right now as before.

Dear artists you should be more enlightened and learn to deal with this in a better way. Some of you did, respect to those, some of you didn't, sad but true.

Most of all, it's a shame that a track so full of light is in the middle of this stupid fight. Think about it, all of you, from organizer to participants, if you added or subtracted something to the good spirit we all like to see in goa and trance in general.

Love & Light