4.) Rosalinda

5.) Nocturn for Bright Daylight

6.) Skylight Extravaganza

7.) The Ground

8.) Rapture of the Skeleton

9.) Puppet Lemonade

10.) Believe Nothing

11.) The Day of Pearly Spencer

Long time awaited 3rd album....wait the minute...2008, 2009, 2010... aah what a hell, for me was a long time when i talk about Kino Oko's music. I am hungry of his vibes non stop. Maybe for someone this might sound like cliche but I know how I feel for real and according to that will try that to describe with this review.

After second album I asked my self: "Could it be better?". After listening the new album answer imposed itself. Big YES!

Of course, we all know his style but never know his arrangement in new tracks. As much as someone seemed predictable, Kino Oko is not really predictable with new music. New album comes with new ideas and once again just a step closer to good way of comercial style but deliberately retained in the shadow of underground. No matter of that he is born for big stage if you ask me. Always image this sound on huge events and find my self floating around in my mind with open-armed. I guess that the sound of synthesizer makes me to such behavior.

That kind of sound make his this music widespread and extensive. Its a really good enough for me. I will never forget moment when I heard "Man Upon The Rainbow" and came to knowlege that I found in the style something I've always hoped to hear in underground music. Excellent combination of not usual beats and huge comercial melodies that will make me dance non stop. After firts album i felt the same with whole second album CD but mostly at "Messiah Formula". One of the biggest reason why I expected this new album so much. To find one more top track. As an good old movie you want to happen again in a new format. Actually, to the good old feeling comes upon. Again and again. And it comes with "Skylight Extravaganza". Again whole night with big DJ headphones on my earz and track on repeat. I am at Creamfileds or Kazantip, danicing like crazy on huge sound system on this tune. Grzegorz, again, made me to want him hear live! Hope that this will come in true.

During the listening of this album lot of tracks reminds me on style of great electronic names like Krafwerk, Tangerine Dreams and lot of old school music elements which are now almost forgotten. The way it combines with the new beat is really impressive for my term. Excellent concept in every way. Not much to say about this creation except that all those to whom it has reached a new achievement, are on the big profit of delights.

Press play all over again!

Lara

Soundmute

• 1 month later...

This is indeed Kino Oko's best effort so far. The CD starts off slowly and I dont care for the first couple of tracks, but then it really does become fun. Favourite part are tracks 6-9. The last track (11) is also interesting - it is a version of David McWilliams classic Days of Pearly Dancer. I feared the worst, but actually Kino Oko's version is enjoyable enough.

Definitely recommended!

Pedro

I am now ready to give a well-grounded opinion of this album. Let me start with the positives. Kino Oko creates in "Colours Hate Themselves" an interesting and cohesive atmosphere. Even a highly amateurish music maker (avoiding the unqualified "producer") such as myself knows how difficult it is to create a cohesive track, that follows a singular theme throughout, and in particular doing so mainly by use of melodies. Kino Oko's music is mainly made of melodies, other typical musical elements take little space, this is his style, and I like it. There is an elegance to his melodies and there is a lot of class to his style. Certainly it is a hard task to make music this melodic yet not annoying.

I feel there are two negatives here. First is the unevenness of the track qualities. There are about 3 tracks that I find somewhat boring and one of them, "The Ground", I find unbearable. It contains the typical singing of the-artist-who-branches-out (although I am not sure it is actually him that sings, but its so bad it must be him) and like always, it does not end well. My second point is that some melody progressions feel very contrived. "Rosalinda" is the clearest example of this. This is a very nice track with some really interesting melodies, right up till the end there is not a lot of variation in the melodies themselves, but that is fine, because the melodies are so strong, yet at the end Kino Oko introduces some note changes that do not sound at home. They sound more like the artist thought "OK now it's time to put some variations in the melody"; well, thats not how good music is made. There are a few other such examples, although they never do ruin a track.

In summary, a very nice melodical piece with flaws that certainly can be overlooked. Even better than his previous solo release, although not surpassing "The National Heroes Of Sonic Parallel" (in Bigwigs) which is near godly to me.

right up till the end there is not a lot of variation in the melodies themselves, but that is fine, because the melodies are so strong, yet at the end Kino Oko introduces some note changes that do not sound at home. They sound more like the artist thought "OK now it's time to put some variations in the melody"; well, thats not how good music is made.

I think this is where we begin to understand your disclaimer regarding yourself as

a highly amateurish music maker

;)

The album is fantastic.

Great Kino Oko variety and style.

Great atmosphere and energy.

Wonderfully unique and truly a Kino Oko album.

People should be buying this up and supporting the artists who dance fantastically on the edges of the paradigms in which their scene is rooted.

I think this is where we begin to understand your disclaimer regarding yourself as

;)

The album is fantastic.

Great Kino Oko variety and style.

Great atmosphere and energy.

Wonderfully unique and truly a Kino Oko album.

People should be buying this up and supporting the artists who dance fantastically on the edges of the paradigms in which their scene is rooted.

Of course knowing great music and knowing how to make it are two entirely different things, but I'm sure you were just trying to be cute.

• 3 weeks later...

... and one of them, "The Ground", I find unbearable. It contains the typical singing of the-artist-who-branches-out (although I am not sure it is actually him that sings, but its so bad it must be him) and like always, it does not end well.

It is David Byron of Uriah Heep, Sir:

It is David Byron of Uriah Heep, Sir:

Well I still think it sounds pretty lame, you should have gotten a second opinion on that track from someone that doesn't suck up to you. I think you did the same thing with the monkey sounds in "Pure Irony" and the cheesy MTV-techno sample in "Body and Mind". Anyway, I hope its clear from my little review that I absolutely recommend this album (and I am definitely a fan of yours), one of the most interesting release of the year so far. People don't like to hear any criticism at all, but of course nothing is flawless.

• 2 months later...

Well I still think it sounds pretty lame, you should have gotten a second opinion on that track from someone that doesn't suck up to you. I think you did the same thing with the monkey sounds in "Pure Irony" and the cheesy MTV-techno sample in "Body and Mind". Anyway, I hope its clear from my little review that I absolutely recommend this album (and I am definitely a fan of yours), one of the most interesting release of the year so far. People don't like to hear any criticism at all, but of course nothing is flawless.

Damn seventies :rolleyes:

This is techno dance, look forward to the future :blink:

Anyway a very good album, despite the "colorless" design and the dry, non atmospheric side...I also recommend (and I am definitely a fan of yours!!!!)

People don't like to hear any criticism at all, but of course nothing is flawless (except of cource the almighty Suntrip releases which are simply perfect) :D :D :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...