Which "Classic Album" should be re-released?

@reyu

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reality is that you need money up the pocket to re-release old "classics". I doubt anyone want to loose money unless they can afford it. Again reality is very different from dreams.

I really don't know anything about what it takes money wise to do a reissue. You are an artist so I think you know what you're talking about. You're album Dance of the celestial beings has been re-released. That I know because I've bought it a few years ago. Do you, the artist, benefit from it in terms of exposure or financial gain? And did Avatar take a big risk to re-release it? I'm just curious.

I really don't know anything about what it takes money wise to do a reissue. You are an artist so I think you know what you're talking about. You're album Dance of the celestial beings has been re-released. That I know because I've bought it a few years ago. Do you, the artist, benefit from it in terms of exposure or financial gain? And did Avatar take a big risk to re-release it? I'm just curious.

I got a big fat ZERO from that re-release. Gig-wise I also got nothing from that release. So to sum it down. It was not worth the while.

I got a big fat ZERO from that re-release. Gig-wise I also got nothing from that release. So to sum it down. It was not worth the while.

Support the artist...buy the CD...That's what I thought a minute ago. OK they own the copyright but come on...I guess that's the way it works in reality. If you're a famous popstar you don't really need the money from a reissue but you're hardly a popstar. It's a shame :angry:

Support the artist...buy the CD...That's what I thought a minute ago. OK they own the copyright but come on...I guess that's the way it works in reality. If you're a famous popstar you don't really need the money from a reissue but you're hardly a popstar. It's a shame :angry:

It's ok really. I'm no longer making music to get accepted or to make money. I am past those years :)

I came to realize that in any scene this one included getting gigs and selling music is all about quantity versus quality. Most successful artists (minus a few gems) in this scene make music like a factory assembly line pushing out one similar pop track after another in order to feed the ever hungry non critical crowd. A huge chunk of those who live of their gigs (live or dj'ing) are hardly any longer unique or bring their own sound in this scene. Most parties or Festivals support quantity and similarity over quality and personal sound. Most music has to be stereotype in order to be successful these days. A sad development but nonetheless quite true.

If uniqueness and individuality and quality was what organizers and the crowd demanded way more diversity would be found in the lineups.

As one organizer (Hadra) very blunt told me recently. The reason why they do not want to book me is because I do not sound "modern" (Meaning: You do not make fullon, dark or progressive) where after the spammed me day out and day with endless emails promoting stereotype boring lineup's.

It's ok really. I'm no longer making music to get accepted or to make money. I am past those years :)

I came to realize that in any scene this one included getting gigs and selling music is all about quantity versus quality. Most successful artists (minus a few gems) in this scene make music like a factory assembly line pushing out one similar pop track after another in order to feed the ever hungry non critical crowd. A huge chunk of those who live of their gigs (live or dj'ing) are hardly any longer unique or bring their own sound in this scene. Most parties or Festivals support quantity and similarity over quality and personal sound. Most music has to be stereotype in order to be successful these days. A sad development but nonetheless quite true.

If uniqueness and individuality and quality was what organizers and the crowd demanded way more diversity would be found in the lineups.

As one organizer (Hadra) very blunt told me recently. The reason why they do not want to book me is because I do not sound "modern" (Meaning: You do not make fullon, dark or progressive) where after the spammed me day out and day with endless emails promoting stereotype boring lineup's.

I can only agree on this one...and on a positive note: because of the reissue of your album I was able to buy me a hard copy!

But now back on topic. Do you, Elysium, want to see a classic re-released? Some albums still missing in your collection? :rolleyes:

I got a big fat ZERO from that re-release.

Well that sucks. Was that agreed in advance (assuming that you were actually involved in the process) or just a result of less-than-expected sales, if you don't mind me asking?

One man game: Total Trance 200 euro

Adrenalin Drum: X-perimental goa 120 euro

MWNN: Teleportation 70-80 euro

Hunab-Ku: Magic Universe not available

Lotus Omega: Recycle Bin 65-100 euro

info from Discogs

As you guys mentioned, Discogs is notorious for its exaggerated prices. Better go and check Ebay if you want to find some cheap goodies (it requires some patience, though :))!

Discogs is notorious for its exaggerated prices. Better go and check Ebay if you want to find some cheap goodies (it requires some patience, though :))!

I'm gonna do just that, thanks...have to work on being patient though ;)

But let's talk about reissues here ...any suggestions on your behalf...something you really want but can't seem to find :)

Cosmosis: Cosmology is another nice one

The Lotus Omega album used to sell for €10-15 or so up to some time ago. This album gained more attention after the Crop Circles CD was released.

As soon as there was none for sale someone listed it for €100 and the others followed suit.

The Lotus Omega album used to sell for €10-15 or so up to some time ago. This album gained more attention after the Crop Circles CD was released.

As soon as there was none for sale someone listed it for €100 and the others followed suit.

Yep, that cd never had high value before.

I even had trouble selling mine for 10 euro. :)

Just paraphrasing others before me:

Miranda - Phenomena

Pleiadians - I.F.O.

VA - Accidental Occidentalism

Bodh Gaya - Ayahuasca

I want to ask you Mars if it was worth the while to re-release Transdimensional by Dimension 5. Was it a big risk financially? Did it cost more then other Suntrip releases? Was it a good seller and thus did you break even? Could you elaborate on these questions? I'm curious... :)

I don't think re-releasing of old albums will pay off. New stuff hardly makes any profit so pressing old stuff on CD will not work.

What could be done is re-mastering old releases and releasing them online or as small scale CD-R release.

Another problem is that while new artists are happy to be released and get some promotion without much of financial interests, most old artist still think there is lots of money in the goa scene so they will ask ridiculous prices for stuff that will not earn any money at all.

Anyway, if any of you guys makes contact with some old artists and gets the original tracks and covers and a reasonable agreement on payment i'll be happy to remaster it and release it on Phototropic. So if you are super-interested in re-releasing old albums get your ass moving and start searching and contacting old artists!

I want to ask you Mars if it was worth the while to re-release Transdimensional by Dimension 5. Was it a big risk financially? Did it cost more then other Suntrip releases? Was it a good seller and thus did you break even? Could you elaborate on these questions? I'm curious... :)

This one was worth it on the long term for sure...

it costed the same as a "new" Suntrip cd, and the sales were the same or even a little better... So it was a good release afterall...

But we were sure this cd was very very rare when it was released (500 copies were made!!) and the prices on ebay went up to 300+€... So we were quiet sure the demand for this cd was huge, AND the music was fantastic... Simply awesome!

I would be afraid with re-releases like Hunab Ku or Deviant Electronics... They are far less known, so I'm sure they would sell less, and also the quality of the music is a little less (imo) then Dimension 5...

A Pleiadians - Ifo re-release will probably happen one day by someone, and I guess it will sell good, but still you have to realise more then 5000 (!!) items were sold already of this release, which means many many hardcore collectors have this one. Even in Belgium there was a guy still selling new and sealed IFO's for 30€ not long ago. (he got a backstock of Nova Tekk)

So all in all, some cds are worth the re-release for sure, but not so many imo... :)

This one was worth it on the long term for sure...

it costed the same as a "new" Suntrip cd, and the sales were the same or even a little better... So it was a good release afterall...

But we were sure this cd was very very rare when it was released (500 copies were made!!) and the prices on ebay went up to 300+€... So we were quiet sure the demand for this cd was huge, AND the music was fantastic... Simply awesome!

I would be afraid with re-releases like Hunab Ku or Deviant Electronics... They are far less known, so I'm sure they would sell less, and also the quality of the music is a little less (imo) then Dimension 5...

A Pleiadians - Ifo re-release will probably happen one day by someone, and I guess it will sell good, but still you have to realise more then 5000 (!!) items were sold already of this release, which means many many hardcore collectors have this one. Even in Belgium there was a guy still selling new and sealed IFO's for 30€ not long ago. (he got a backstock of Nova Tekk)

Thanx Anoebis for shining a light on this + thanx for making Transdimensional available! ;)

So all in all, some cds are worth the re-release for sure, but not so many imo...

Glad to hear this from you...as I said before...now and then a re-release won't hurt. :)

I don't think re-releasing of old albums will pay off. New stuff hardly makes any profit so pressing old stuff on CD will not work.

What could be done is re-mastering old releases and releasing them online or as small scale CD-R release.

Haven't you guys done this already with SynSUN's Zelur Project & The full power of Goa. OK they weren't really re-releases hence never released on cd but it definitely comes close.

Another problem is that while new artists are happy to be released and get some promotion without much of financial interests, most old artist still think there is lots of money in the goa scene so they will ask ridiculous prices for stuff that will not earn any money at all.

If they are so keen on making money, then they should get a proper job as an executive or something like that.

Anyway, if any of you guys makes contact with some old artists and gets the original tracks and covers and a reasonable agreement on payment i'll be happy to remaster it and release it on Phototropic. So if you are super-interested in re-releasing old albums get your ass moving and start searching and contacting old artists!

I've contacted my mom about this and she would love to re-release some of her classics. Especially "Cut it out" and "Kitchen Diaries" were only released as lim ed back in the 90's. Don't thank me thank mom :clapping:

No...seriously good idea...If I do find a veteran willing I'll surely contact you. I'll contact the retirement home first and work my way up to the zoo...(section endangered species) -_-

I really want to know from you got this figure Joske. I have a copy of Implant magazine from mid-1998 with an advert of Sister Ray, a shop in Soho, London, which is still open. This advert is a whole page of psy-goa CDs and vinyl, I mean an incredible merchandise list but probably nothing rare back then. Included in this massive list is also Transdimensional CD selling for £12.99, with the LP selling for £12.49. Now, if this CD was released in mid-1997 and in a time when 1000's of each Goa CD was pressed and sold how could a CD pressed in only 500 copies still be selling a year later in that shop?

• 2 weeks later...

Somaton - Future Memories

Beautiful stuff in my opinion.

I don't know if it's a classic, but I've always loved this release. Odds that it would be re-released, zero. I would mostly just like some of this era's stuff to be more widely available so some of the younger fans can hear it and not have to pay through the nose to get it.

Makes me want to pop in Silicon Trip, I haven't listened to it in a long time.

Posted Image

Posted Image