http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=5545

http://www.myspace.com/multievil

Tracklist:

1. The Bridge

2. Komix FM

3. Molecule Accelerator

4. Goa Power (with Ator Project)

5. Opposite Directions

6. Psy Cut Fingers - Bombay Fx (Multi Evil RMX)

7. Time Screaper

8. Radical Structures

9. Transport Blazing System

10. Colors

The Multiplication of Evil is Polish artist Jakob Kaminski´s debut album on Warsaw based label No Comment records. You may have heard some other No Comment Records releases if you keep upto date with dark and twisted night music - The most recent CPC release Sublimininal Messages which came out last year for instance.

The music on this album ranges between 150 and 156 BPM and takes varying stylistic directions, but more on that later. Lets get muddy and jump right into the action

The Bridge

After a short atmospheric introduction a powerful and relentless baselines leads the way. Jakob is a Science fiction fan, and this immediatly shines through in his choice of FX which paint artificial intelligence infested secenarios. Echoey vocals, metallic percussions, laser warfare line our path in an electrically crackling environment. Imo this is a strong start to the album - I appreciated the curve of the track as it is given enough breathing space space to unload its fx firework piece by piece as not to totally fry the listeners brain after 30 seconds.

Komix FM

As we tune the dial into Komix Fm we are welcomed by stuttering voices and weird harmonic snippets that fade in and out of this reality. After the steady first track we take a different direction here - this is busier and more agressive overall, definetly has some Noise Poison style influence in that it is very disorientating and glitchy. Whereas "The Bridge" knew exactly the direction i was heading, this likes to do this:

I know exactly where we are going, its this way! Oh wait let me stop and think for a second ...nope its the other way... oh hold on just one sek...... I think you get the idea

I think this one unfolds its true potential on dance floors, it definetly manages to build up and release tension very well with its intensity. For home listening I did not find it very memorable.

Molecule Accelerator

Here we take a steadier approach again and some deeper atmosphere. The base line is determined but also shifty and playful at times. Reminds me of Meteor Burn at times, but only in terms of the baseline. In terms of imagery I have to emphasise the metallic, sterile machine environment that the sound manifests. Are we inside a computer perhaps, witnessing the binary flow? Maybe we are a microchip...

Nice choice of fx which bring a "springy and boingy" quality to the track, wierd harmonics, DNA strands unraveling and coiling up.

Good track!

Goa Power (With Altor Project)

This one is more organic sounding in the fx choices, I can only guess this is the Altor project influence. Definetly adds another dimension to our robot environment. Also has a slightly glitchy approach but storms forward remorselessly. I would say this is comparable to Kdd in the sense that it has those charecteristic random trinkling beeps and bleeps. As we move deeper into the track a haunting melody slips in and out, is this the "Goa Power" which is invoked? Another comparison with Kdd here in the way a melody slips into the frenzy and catches listerner by the balls - Shaivaya Voda and the like.

Definetly a favorite.

Opposite Directions

Sets the scene with bucket loads of sample chops that add as rhythm developing devices, although the direction of the track is clear we do experience some disorientation at the hands of a glitchy massacre. Definetly on the quirkier side of things and the percusion work comes across in atruly agressive manner, it sounds outright pissed off. First time the "Evil" shines through as it seems to channel its rage into beating the crap out of the virtual drums.

Becomes increasingly steady and settled and some very cool and diverse fx like hints of distorted guitar riffs. All along we still have the metallic, heavy soundscape it the track - later the Evil subsides again as it seems to have calmed down again, we wind down in a more relaxed manner, music has soothed the beast it seems. Propably the most rhythmically intricate track up till now.

Psy Cut Fingers - Bombay Fx (Multi Evil Rmx)

Next on the tracklist is Jakobs remix of the track "Bombay Rmx" by fellow Polish artists Psy Cut Fingers. The inclusion of some external influences adds some more depth to the album. Here we have a warmer and more playful effort as Indian esque vocal cuts slice through the soundscape and mysterious pads create an eerie, yet optimism infused outlook. Later into the track we have some quieter passages with breakish and funky elements which add some light heartedness to the mix. Over all this does feel lighter and less weighed down in its metalic, bestial nature. Definetly a welcome addition.

Time Screaper

Here we find the speed increased (154 BPM) and this is audible in the baseline immediatly as it races through cyberspace. This is more on the rage filled and glitchy side again, definetly in-your-face as it does not waste any time in unleashing in assault of fx, which tend to like to hang out in a high pitch region that is not always easy on the ears. Another reoccuring feature of this track is the "computer talk" assorted random bleepology, bleep warfare Track fades into a much welcome sea of calm which I gladly dive into after this violent assault. I feel.... violated

As I mentioned earlier I prefer the sound when Jakob does not go into full fx assault mode right away. Not a memorable track for me, might be stronger on the dance floor where it can unleash its full disorientating potential.

Radical Structure

Slows things down again as we welcome some deep atmospheric elements, like the somewhat Delta- esque exhaling Darth Vader when-he-is-sleeping and deep-breathing synth You will here this begining in the quieter middle section of the track. Also some subtle fequencies going on that operate on the outskirts of hearing and a genearlly wet, oozy moist feel which is a contrast to the metalic dryness we encounter in other parts of this album. I liked this more layed back style, definetly a favourite.

Transport Blazing System

After an extended atmospheric disorientation intro we reach the fastest point of the album, zooming along at 156 BMP. Full violent onslaught again, the Evil is bursting through again

A bit more on the jumpy glitchy side again but get alot of its charecter from those wierd subtle high fequency ambushes. Overall this fits into the group of tracks that work best on the dance floor imo. Not that memorable for me.

Colors

Jakob ends the album with an absolute Gem, the question I have to ask... why is this only just over 6 minutes long? Gives diversity to the album with its haunting atmospheric syths, and layed back, almost foresty attitude. Very cool, smooth crackling flow with melodical touches pulling everything together beautifully as the Evil subsides into tranquility. Jakob really uses the closer to show his talent and give me high expectations of things to come.

Conclusion

Personally I like Multi Evil the best when the tracks have some breathing space to develop, when the FX and subtle elements launch a tactical assault rather than trying to storm the castle with brute force alone. Luckily this is the case most of the time, and I have to say thumbs up to for debut album Whereas I liked the slightly slower, steadier tracks better, I am sure the super glitched out ones will also lead to some twisted limbs this summer.

I would like to see Jakob continue this diverse style and include more experimental tracks like Colors, I think it suits him well.

People should also not misinterpret the name, there is nothing truly Evil here... yes it is agressive and vicious, but in no way "Horror Trance", we dont have any cheesy splatter samples or the like. Just really powerful ,somber sci-fi night time music which unfolds its subtlty after several listens.

I think the name "Multi Evil" represents the ability to call upon multiple darkness infused styles

Favs - 1, 4, 8, 10

Not bad at all, but I prefer the comparable release "Full Face - In Every Place" also from this year. Multi Evil doesn't really get completely nuts, even in the climaxes, also most tracks are very low on lower-mid frequency action which contributes to a sound that isn't very absorbing (or perhaps "full" in some sense.) A third point is that most complexity in the tracks come from just a single typical dark synth sound, as opposed to a plethora of blips and blops and what not (see Full Face). All in all, I can't really call these points weaknesses, because they are clearly part a cohesive style chosen by the artist, a style well applied. The rest is simply taste.