Alien Prequel(s) in development

JonCrow

I'm curious what other people's thoughts are on the plans for these movies.

Ridley Scott is directing them. It's his first Sci-Fi film since Bladerunner. Part of his motivation is to "surpass James Cameron's Avatar". I think they're to be set on the planet where contact was made with the organism in the original film. Revolving around the spaceship of initial discovery with the figure sitting in the chair with it's chest blown open.

I'm not all that excited about him deciding to make them in 3D. Though it could turn out well. I wonder how much description he will go into regarding the origins and nature of the alien creatures. I hope he doesn't ruin some of the mystique as I always loved those unexplained scenes in the first crash-landed ship. If he goes deeper into the creatures origins and mythos I hope that H.R. Giger is involved and I hope he(Scott) doesn't mess it up.

Alien and Aliens had a huge impact on me in my youth and I look forward to these to some degree. It'd be nice to have the franchise revitalised and injected with quality after the disastrous AvP's and not so great latter Alien films.

There's heaps of links around with a few interviews minorly detailing his plans and intentions.

The man hasn't made a single mediocre movie, except maybe G.I. Jane. All his works were at least good, some of them even masterpieces. If he does another Alien movie, I am sure it will be excellent, because he won't spoil his reputation in that franchise.

i got some problems with this movie. as a very young fella, i used to sniff around the couch silently when my father watched movies at night, and it was one night that i wish i couldve avoid, it was this god damn movie. everytime i see it i get the same freaky dreams and i wake up with a pulse of 200 bpm.

i've watched Freddy Krueger and Michael halloween stuff and was always amazed how people got scared from that cause i was bored to death with them. and ill tell u, the last thing you want to see in your dreams is this monster, if you see it, just wake up, dont bother.

i got some problems with this movie. as a very young fella, i used to sniff around the couch silently when my father watched movies at night, and it was one night that i wish i couldve avoid, it was this god damn movie. everytime i see it i get the same freaky dreams and i wake up with a pulse of 200 bpm.

i've watched Freddy Krueger and Michael halloween stuff and was always amazed how people got scared from that cause i was bored to death with them. and ill tell u, the last thing you want to see in your dreams is this monster, if you see it, just wake up, dont bother.

I can sort of relate here. I saw these movies first probably at about the age of 7 - 9. Wow did they have some impact. Whenever they were announced to be coming on TV I used to experience such a rush of anticipated fear and excitement. I used to go to bed after watching them with my heart pounding. I love and will never forget them for this rush. I think H.R.Giger is really the one to thank.

I spoke to another guy at work and he has had them in his dreams his whole life also.

Anyhow, now in my older age the creature from these movies comes to me in dreams every few months as a healthy symbological archetype representing psychological fear in general. As I mature and develop and face/rise above my fears in life the nature of the dreams with this creature in it has started to change. I find myself sometimes successfully fighting, facing and killing the creature. Even just last week I had one where I felt much less fear with its approach and presence and broke its head apart with my bare hands. Posted Image

Jon

Ha, I thought the acid issue might be brought up as I typed that out. There was none.

Yeah tough guy indeed. I cry like a baby in drama films and dramatic moments in films. Posted ImagePosted Image

And to stay a bit better on-topic it seems like the first prequel is due for release in 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumour has it that H. R. Giger will be involved indeed.

Still, I'm not going to watch it. The risk of ruining the whole Alien thing is too big for me. If there's one thing I hate more than sequels, it's prequels :) Last prequel I watched was the Hannibal thing (prequel to Silence of the Lambs), and yes, it sucked.

just saw this today...i did not like the fusion of the two aliens in the movies before but the idea was not so bad...improvisation needs work for sure

ps, i used to play AvP as a Half-Life Mod game, it was scary as the movie itself...highly prefer it.

i never saw it until i was around 15; i was always nervous about it b/c my dad said when he saw it in the theater back in 79 it gave him nightmares for weeks. although it turns out he saw it right after smoking several joints (the first time he ever got stoned apparently); he hasnt smoked pot since and that might be why.

for me though, the scariest moment of the alien movies was in the second one, where the family of prospectors stumbles on the wrecked egg-ship and the dude staggers out with a facehugger attached. that scene just haunts me for some reason.

i agree that if ridley scott and hr giger are involved they probably wont let it suck, and im interested to see what they can do with modern computer technology and filmmaking techniques.

"Aliens" is definitely in my top5 favorite movies. Everything is perfect: from the deep and intelligent yet fast-paced storyline, humor ("GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!"), the casting and the different characters to the excellent design of the creatures and the environment as well as the magnificent and terrifying sound-design. I can still get goosebumps when I hear the sound from the Marines' motion trackers getting louder and louder as the Aliens begin to move.

The 80's was basically a great time for big, macho action-blockbusters with both interesting stories, plenty of action and none of those obnoxious, shallow and totally irrelevant love-stories (think "Transformers", "Armageddon" and probably every other action-movie made in the last 20 years).

With Ridley Scott on board I have very high hopes for this.

just saw this today...i did not like the fusion of the two aliens in the movies before but the idea was not so bad...improvisation needs work for sure

ps, i used to play AvP as a Half-Life Mod game, it was scary as the movie itself...highly prefer it.

i don't know about Predators , i get the feeling they are coming with basically a bit of the idea that Cameron did with Aliens but this time in the Predator franchise and it also seems to be a bit of a copy from the 1st movie ...

About the topic , very looking forward to what Ridley Scott is up to Alien!!

i remember Predator 2 had a scene of the ship under the city, where that detective goes in to kill the predator, and finds out some weird skulls (different creatures, now none of them look from earth but it could also mean they were on earth long time before our breed :P), the thing with the skulls is that they keep evidence of any creature they hunt, and they do hunt for fun, hence the name Predators.

now AvP was shit, but i liked the part where they put the Aliens as pets for more action packed hunting, i never understood what Men was doing inbetween (and Pyramids, wtf?) but i liked the sense that they were superior (mentaly and physically) coz im sick of SuperHuman Sci-Fi shit.