Psytrance styles

I think it's very nessicary to have differant styles within psytrance..

if someone tells says that he loooooooves psytrance and someone else asks, "oh have you heard The Delta?" and the dude says "Never heard of them, I only listen to Astral Projection and Infected Mushroom" would you still think it's stupid to have differant styles? Would you still say that those two boys/girls listen to the same kinda music?

'cus IMO, the Delta and IM are very differant...

also, makes it easiser to find more music like, the delta (for example). If every road and street was called road and street it would be pretty much impossible to find anything anywhere..

I don't listen to psytrance anymore, so I can't tell you all the styles..

puke,

- pr0nstar mr. Aaron Surewood "hey, I'm David Hasselhoff and welcome to my website. Stay tuned..."

Guest unikos

so Mr Pronstar, u quit from psytrance? u r soooo geigh!

psy-styles: if u search the forum u will find lots and lots of posts about the same thing since this question has been asked so many times... briefly i can say that there is full-on, more like old goa but not quite there yet, example: GMS

- progressive, which is more techno influenced example: SBK

-minimal : (i hate minimal) music with as little sounds as possible and usually TOO loud base and kick that tends to get EXTREMELY boring.. i cant give a typical example because i dont listen to minimal... maybe the delta

Guest Tentwins

Once I heard a group called Spirallianz, I really don't know what the style is named but it was the most boring music I've heard.

Guest Duodenum

i think Spirallianz would be fine if you mixed the tracks like trance or techno, meaning every few minutes, and with long transitions. psy people get stuck in the mindset that all tracks are designed to be listened to from beginning to end, which isn't true for most other styles of dance music. if you are a DJ, you can take stuff like Spirallianz and craft it into a stomping set. it's like putting on a pure techno track for 7 minutes and complaining that it's boring.

here's my list of "sub-genres" (not perfect, you can always find flaws cause any clasification method is bound to show its limits, but like Aaron said, I find it good to say what sub-genre a person likes so he/ she can find CDs he/ she likes more easily)

morning trance: well, there are 2 categories in there...

sub-subgenre 1 is the "real" morning trance as purists would say, rather slow BPM, never above 120 and very relaxed airy feeling, with a lot of nature samples. examples: Feuerhake, Kode IV, Zorba, Bodh Gaia, Element, Son of the Light, 1200 Micrograms - Ayahuasca... (this is also what comes closts to the "original trance" that was played in Goa in the early 90s)

sub-sub-genre 2 (my favorite!!) , (also called israeli-trance cause most artists making it were from Israel, although this is changing now) is more dancefloor-oriented, the kind of music that's played in parties when the sun rises: fast, between 130 - 150 BPM, usually very emotional and "catchy". Usually you go home from a party having that tune in your head. Examples: Yahel - Last Man in the Universe, Chi AD- Eye am the I, Astral Projection - People Can Fly, Zorba - Datora, Space Tribe Vs. Electric Universe - Alkaloid Experiement, Transwave - The Rezwalker, UX - Masters of the Universe, Ra -ROM, Dimension 5, Man With No Name - Teleport... (you can probably tell by the tracklist that this is what was usually called "goatrance" around 1996 by record labels that thought they coined a new "hip" term)

3D Vision-style/ Full-on (called like this because the label "3D Vision" specialized in this kind of music, but then they were copied by many labels): fast 140- 150 BPM, melodic but more harsh-sounding, more on the agressive side of things (and some would say "more E-oriented"). Examples: Talamsaca - Come On, Absolum - Drumatrix, Nomad, GMS, Alien Project...

Minimal/ Psy-tekk: more techno-influenced, a lot less "challenging" then the other styles, more bass-driven. This style hit us around 1998, and some loved it and considered it was a welcome change to the usual melodic stuff, others (like me...) found it had nothing to do with "psy". Untill this year, about 80% psy releases were minimal, but this is changing now. Anyway, that doesn't mean you can't find artists that are doing good stuff... Examples: X-Dream - Radio (the one that started it all IMO), Kopfuss Resonator, Shiva Chandra - Gecko, MOS - Drive,...

Nitzhonot - Well, most people will say this isn't really psy... it's done mostly in Israel and Greece and it sounds like kids playing around with cartoon-samples and melodic psy ideas, but not something very coherent. It's sorta like melodic/ israeli trance pushed to the limit of commericalism. Examples: Eyal Barkan, Holy Men, Cyan,...

Industrial goa - Harsh, dark-soudning goa, with distorted noises, fast, indsutrial-inflenced. Examples: Battle of the Future Buddhas, Tim Schuldt - Single Collection, Ka-Sol,...

Finish trance (cause most of the artists doing it are from Finland)- Very wierd trance, with a lot of crazy and innovative ideas, very random, doesn't seem like it's "going somewhere". Some love it, others utterly hate it. Examples: Texas Faggot, Haltya,...

... well, there you go, this isn't perfect, but it will allow you to clasify about 90% of the releases out there...

SMI²LE

Guest peaceful warrior

Well I see that there are different styles within the psytrance genre but like all things these are just general categories, not precise definitions.

We have first of all the classic Goa sound; lots of swirling melodic synth lines, percusive work is not as developed as in some of the other styles, a bit of an oriental flavor to the melodies. Examples of this style might be Hallucinogen - Twisted, Astral Projection (all albums, except maybe the new one), Pleiadians - I.F.O.

Then we have what I call 'Psytrance' for lack of a better term. This is music that is still melodic like Goa but there are several differences. One is that the melodies are not as swirly, acidic and also not as oriental sounding as many goa melodies are. There also seems to be more rythmic, percussive work done in this style. Lots of FX. This is a broad category that incompasses many different sounds but I use the broad term 'Psytrance' because alot of this music doesn't really fit into one of the other categories. Much of the Israeli psychedelic trance fits into this category. Examples would be Spacecat, Oforia, Infected Mushroom, Astrix, Etc.

Next we have what is broadly called 'progressive'. This style is, in general, less melodic and more groove orientated. Lots of percussive work. High production values. Clean sounds. Smooth and flowing. Trancey and tribal. Sometimes with some house music influences. Some good examples of artist and songs belonging in this category would be: Son Kite, Ticon, Saiko Pod - Futures and Options, Quirk - newer stuff like their track 'Tribodelic', Atmos etc.

Finally we have stuff that many people call 'minimal' but is also called 'tech-trance'. This stuff shares ground with progressive except that it is generally darker and harder, also more techy. Like progressive there is a strong focuse on percussive sounds and strong rythm and groove. Very few, if any, melodies. This music is generally hard and stomping. Usually with a somewhat dark vibe going on. Examples of it might be: Spirallianz, new X-Dream, XV Kilist, The Delta, Shiva Chandra etc.

Like I said before these are just convenient categories not precisely delienated and defined lines. There are a few artists that don't really fit into any category. Artist like Simon Posford, Juno Reactor, and Infected Mushroom almost define categories of their own.

In the end categories are useful but they should not be taken too seriously.

oops, I should replace my "Finish trance" category with this:

Finish trance/ aussie trance/ Psyharmonics stuff: (called like this cause most artists doing it are from Finland/ Australia/ or usually release their stuff on the labe Psyharmonics): Very wierd trance, with a lot of crazy and innovative ideas, very random, doesn't seem like it's "going somewhere". Some love it, others utterly hate it. Examples: Texas Faggot, Haltya, early Space Tribe, Shaolin Wooden Men, Loopus in Fabula, Odd Harmonic...

SMI²LE

man....

all you guys with your opinions on minimal.

x-dream is not minimal. for petes sake.

atmos is minimal

son kite is minimal

m.o.s. is minimal.

x-dream is more tech-trance...which has nothing to do with minimal.

the delta - tech

spirallianz - tech.

if its almost all percusion its tech-trance...not minimal.

Guest gallowglass

right on to that ourobouros, i cant stand minimal trance but i love tech trance...if anyone says you cant make good psy entirely with percussion theyre sorely misguided.

Guest Dr Hoffman

good definitions Lemmiwinks

But you forgot the GMS category. Full on can be divided in many categories, and spun and 3d vision should be apart.

There should also be another category for songs like Biothing (biotonic-Biotonic on the ROX cd). A morecheerful, almost flirty (as in flirt) sound.

And what about skazi?, Skazi is nothing like GMS, nor 3D visions. it can be in a category of its own. Maybe full on should be divided in categories named by the label sound. The spun sound, 3d visions sound , shaffel sound, etc

What do you think?

Dr. Hoffman: Well, I wouldn't go further into splitting up genres. Of course, you can always go further to the point that basically every artist has his/ her/ their own category, but that would be too complicated. I'd put everything that's full-on without sounding warm and catchy into the Full-on category. On the other hand, you could also divide the melodic/ israeli trance style into oldschool, melodic, israeli, etc. and argue that AP and Pleiadians have different sounds. Or, as it was said, that X-Dream and Son Kite are different. But IMO if it has the same caracheristics and it is played at the same hours in a set, it should go together... I mean, in the morning sets, there's a high chance that a DJ will play AP AND Pleiadians, in a night set, the DJ will play X-Dream AND Son Kite... but of course, this is only my opinion, feel free to create your own categories...

SMI²LE

Guest Dr Hoffman

I new you were going to reply that thread :).

And yes, you are right. We could make up a division for every artist that sounded a little diffrent from the rest.

So lets make this simple.

1. Full on (including skazi, gms, etnica etc)

2. Minimal (Sonus, NASA, perplex)

3. Tech trance ( xdream, wrecked machines, etc)

4. Isreali trance ( IM, Astrix, Melicia, Psysex)

Guest psychotronic

people always says that about spirallianz "i don't like it because it's very boring blabla" but they don't know what real psytrance is they are just "ignorant" people.Tech trance is music only for experienced people.

>----<: IMO there is no such thing as "scando sound". I mean, what the hell do Miranda, Battle of the future Brothers and Hux Flux have in common??? But as I said, everyone can make up their own categories...

SMI²LE

Guest maxi

to lemmiwinks: Battle of the future Brothers?

brothers? hrrm yea, thats what theyre called.

sm*le :(

i dont want to take part of this debate for different reasons but when senstatux mentioned the so called 'scando style' he obviously meant (often) laidback progressive acts like atmos and vibrashpere :}