Which VST do you use for GATE?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a VST which allows me to apply Gate effect on vocals or other .wav/mp3 samples? My sister is a very talented vocalist and I'd love to use her potential in some of my tracks, but of course I'd like to change and process the sound a little bit. I was always fascinated by gated vocals like the one in Hallucinogen's Angelic Particles and some other mighty tracks. B) So if you have the recommendation, which VST to use, or some other trick which would allow me to do this, please share it with me  :)

P.S. I've already tried to automatize the volume of the channel, but it's not what I'm asking for  :P

What sequencer do you use? Chopping the audio file synced to tempo directly on the audio track is one possibility, another is to set up a gate sidechained to a different track with for example a hat or something (or any other short percussive sound, works best), just something that allows you to write the pattern in MIDI.

I use the first on audio files and the second on stuff coming out of a live synth.

Arronax try to close sister's mouth with your palm rhythmically, when she sings :lol: That should work. I heard Hallucinogen did same way to make his brilliant vintage sound :lol:

P.S.

I did it in Cubase with build-in MIDIGATE plugin. In Logic I do like BlackStarrFinale described above.

What sequencer do you use? Chopping the audio file synced to tempo directly on the audio track is one possibility, another is to set up a gate sidechained to a different track with for example a hat or something (or any other short percussive sound, works best), just something that allows you to write the pattern in MIDI.

I use the first on audio files and the second on stuff coming out of a live synth.

I'm using FL Studio 9. The thing with chopping the audio track sounds good, I'll give it a try tomorrow :) Thank you very much for your reply! Btw, sidechain idea sounds very nice too, I'll try that for sure with some lead melodies that I prepared :) I guess it's the same logic like with vocoder?

Arronax try to close sister's mouth with your palm rhythmically, when she sings  :lol: That should work. I heard Hallucinogen did same way to make his brilliant vintage sound :lol:

P.S.

I did it in Cubase with build-in MIDIGATE plugin. In Logic I do like BlackStarrFinale described above.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: you're joking right?  :lol:

• Like 1

lol

Also, might be worth looking into getting a good transient going on the gated audio so that it cuts through the mix better. One way would be with a carefully configured compressor with a moderate attack (10+ ms) and very low threshold and chunky gain reduction, or maybe through the use of a transient revitalising plugin like Oxford Transmod, or maybe Digital Fishphones Dominion to shape up an envelope.

I guess it's the same logic like with vocoder?

I don't see why not, the sidechained gate should work with any sound going through it.

lol

Also, might be worth looking into getting a good transient going on the gated audio so that it cuts through the mix better. One way would be with a carefully configured compressor with a moderate attack (10+ ms) and very low threshold and chunky gain reduction, or maybe through the use of a transient revitalising plugin like Oxford Transmod, or maybe Digital Fishphones Dominion to shape up an envelope.

I don't see why not, the sidechained gate should work with any sound going through it.

Thanks man, you're great help!  :) 

fruity's newly added Gross Beat is the best gater to date :)

others are

dblue glitch

oneglitchmb

supatrigga

mgtriggergate

etc

you can also make gating automations in fruity by simply adding a dummy channel and assigning this dummy channel's peak controller to the volume knob of the sound you need gated (link mode = peak) and then turn the volume on your pc down, then you can just hit a note in your dummy channel and the volume will cut out from your lead wherever you placed notes.

nabla??

Most funky Spain psy/goa artist :lol:

I using to Vanguard or Renegade VST. There are too many good GATES, also you can try something in Syturs, try some FX and Filters, i hope you will find something good :)

Effectrix, basicly the same principle as dblue glitch, but much more user-friendly I think. :)

best effects vst. use it all the time.

try fabfilter volcano 2 for some good gate effects

• 4 weeks later...

i don't know if you're still looking for one , but i use a simple and very stable one plus its free .

its part of a pack where all of them resemble little guitar stomp boxes and one of them is a trance gate with some real cool gates. use it all the time whenever i want to gate something :)

Posted Image

get it here :

DVS VSTs

have fun!

i don't know if you're still looking for one , but i use a simple and very stable one plus its free .

its part of a pack where all of them resemble little guitar stomp boxes and one of them is a trance gate with some real cool gates. use it all the time whenever i want to gate something :)

Posted Image

get it here :

DVS VSTs

have fun!

Hey mate, I'm already using a few of them which are recommended by fellow goa freaks, but this one is fantastic too. It's very effective, thank you!

fruity's newly added Gross Beat is the best gater to date :)

others are

dblue glitch

oneglitchmb

supatrigga

mgtriggergate

etc

you can also make gating automations in fruity by simply adding a dummy channel and assigning this dummy channel's peak controller to the volume knob of the sound you need gated (link mode = peak) and then turn the volume on your pc down, then you can just hit a note in your dummy channel and the volume will cut out from your lead wherever you placed notes.

very nice vst gate ! mgtriggergate ! u should try :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...