45 members have voted

1. 1. You opinion about it

• Awesome
    • Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Below average
    • Bad

Today people making goa for dancefloor... must be hard, have groove, 'melodies for dancing'...

IMO if you dont have that on your track you will not release on popular label.

Im pretty interested, why noone label did not want release this stuff?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ii13c1

Dont have groove? Music isnt for jumping and rushing?

This is new music, 2 years old and you can call it new school but style is old school.

I know music is changing always buy i cant understand this. This album isnt good, production or what? Some 'goa standards'? :unsure:

As some guy said before, all is about sun and positive vibes and SHIVA... :rolleyes:

All respects to Draeke and DAT records ;)

'keep goa alive' lol

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today people making goa for dancefloor... must be hard, have groove, 'melodies for dancing'...

IMO if you dont have that on your track you will not release on popular label.

I thought it was the opposite :unsure:

I can't hardly dance with most of new school goa. They're too floating and repetetive to be danceable IMO.

Thanks Ormion, and yes of course feel free to say what you don't like and what you do. It's a forum after all. I'm just guessing what Diaks is talking about. I can't recall any recent Nitzho stuff except for Sita Records. If there's more, then I'm really curious to discover this 'new wave of Nitzho', for sure we don't call 5 artist releasing 500 CD's a 'new wave', or a hype? That would be a bit too much honour :)...

Be careful with this Agneton guy! He might come across as a nice guy, but in reality he is an evil man with a masterplan that involves spreading nitzhonot all over the world.This is RELIGION, and I am here to convert the unholy nitzhodancers back to Shiva dancers. Just notice how everyone Agneton has ever talked to here on psynews, mystically starts to get nitzhonot influences in their Goa tunes, Lost Buddha, who in turn spread some nitzho kicks to Mindsphere... etc It´s all a deep conspiracy!!! ;-)

Be careful with this Agneton guy! He might come across as a nice guy, but in reality he is an evil man with a masterplan that involves spreading nitzhonot all over the world.This is RELIGION, and I am here to convert the unholy nitzhodancers back to Shiva dancers. Just notice how everyone Agneton has ever talked to here on psynews, mystically starts to get nitzhonot influences in their Goa tunes, Lost Buddha, who in turn spread some nitzho kicks to Mindsphere... etc It´s all a deep conspiracy!!! ;-)

OK OK, I admit. But keep this quite will you? We had a pact! :lol:

Ormion said most of it.

I'll add my 2 cents. Most of the music released today can be categorized into 3 categories:

1. Nitzhonot which I personally dislike, but it does seem to have a very solid and enthusiastic fanbase.

2. Wavy happy smiley melodic morning chilloutish goa trance (Suntrip leading it mostly), an extreme example would be Ra album.

3. "Generic" melodic goa trance which is the rest, released by everyone else (including Cronomi actually). Nice melodies, but slightly forgettable. A personal favorite is Liquid Flow which manages to actually make it very good and I still hum his tracks once in a while. :)

The problem about music other than that, which is the "more sophisticated darker" goa music, is that it doesn't exist. The music that does exist, is very rare and\or just not good enough.

In Cronomi records I try to find those tracks, and it's damn hard. In Freshly Cut Tomato I had to put a mix of all styles, and the darker tracks (first half mostly) were simply not as good as the latter half, because that's the best there was at the time.

It got a little better with People Walk Funny, but then again - there are very few tracks like that.

Artists that are writing the "other" style of goa (I wouldn't say darker because it's not always this dark) which pop right off my head are Artha (who has an album coming out next week), PortaMento (who is working very slow), Anakoluth (again - slow, studies and stuff), and even myself (and I didn't write a single track in about 2 years, again university etc). New Born is another one, but he is working very slow.

Sometimes it's easy to blame the labels for releasing crap stuff (especially if it's fullon), but as a label - I'm telling you that music like this is really hard to find. And I'm willing to pay for such music. :)

Now for some positive stuff:

I think that the newschool goa (which has been around for 6 years or so) is quite amazing. First of all, the sound is much better than it was way back then. Listen to the biggest classics. The fatness of the sound pales in comparison to today's top productions. There is also quite a lot more music, since production is much more accessible to everyone. You don't need lots of real instruments (and don't give me that crap about analog sound = good). You have to realize though, that most of the artists now are taking their first steps in writing music. Before you write a masterpiece, you need to master the simpler stuff.

Anyway, I see a bright future for the music. It will all be ok, eventually. :)

I thought it was the opposite :unsure:

I can't hardly dance with most of new school goa. They're too floating and repetetive to be danceable IMO.

You are right. Artists making to floating melodies because they think that will be great on dancefloor, but just a few sounds is good for dance...

Is better to have only 2-3 melodies but normal that you can dance then 15...

Speaking about Artha, is there anyone here who has his live sets he shared here and can upload them somewhere? The original download links are all dead, and yeah Artha is one of those rare dudes, those live sets alone would have been great albums. He is clearly heavily inspired by Hallucinogen, but still has a very unique own touch to it. I would say his tracks I have heard so far (the live sets) are darker then Hallucinogen´s tracks. I hope he haven´t changed the formula to much from how the live sets sounded.

And about New School sounding better due to newer technology etc, I dont agree, in some cases it might sound more clear due to absence of noise from old hardware mixers, noisy hardware effects etc. But don´t forget that a lot of the people who were active back then had more experience in audio engineering/mixing tracks from other genres. And one cannot underestimate experience, over learning some stuff from tutorials on youtube. For example the whole crew at butterfly studios, and the way the groups really worked as a team. Slinky Wizard for example, really another type of attention to details then what we are used to nowadays.

I think the sound in my favourite tracks from that era was thicker and more vivid/organic. I really miss that deep punch in the kick nowadays with a bassline that isn´t dominating the track to much. An example of a good tasty kick would be Psychaos-Dense Dawn, and example of good story telling would be Slinky-Wizard-License To Slink, and Slick Witch. Let me know if there is someone around who can make tracks like that today. Another good example have to be the recently released Crop Circles album on DAT records, I mean despite it´s age, with this new mastering it really has no competition at all among the newer stuff I have heard so far.

And how often do you hear some synthesizer riffs recorded in realtime nowadays? For example like in Slinky Wizard-The Wizard. That´s ace stuff right there. A lot of people back then were real musicians who had lot´s of knowledge about analog synthesizers and samplers, mixing desks and effects. MFG for example, their music is heavily influenced by industrial music. Today a young producer might start out directly with goa trance and Fruity Loops. No prior experience in music is required anymore to get "decent" results, it´s all served via a plethora of tutorials on youtube and sharing of patches among the community. No wonder that not much people develope their own style anymore.

The problem about music other than that, which is the "more sophisticated darker" goa music, is that it doesn't exist. The music that does exist, is very rare and\or just not good enough.

I think this niche is filled with some "darkpsy"/full-on/forest music with melodies like certain tracks by Imaginary Sight, Kluster, Electrypnose, Braincell, Trold, or even CPC. (Ever heard Lizard Metanoya?) It's a shame most new school fans hear strong kicks and bass and just write it all off.

Dont need to be some forest psy goa... can be some acidic goa like California Sunshine - Full Power or KURO - Mathematica or Masa - Super G... and what about Nolax?

He rocks and i know, second album is on the wayyyyyyyyyyy B)

Dark, acidic, normal goa! No more orientals and funky shits :S

EDIT: Some tracks (new school) are too funky that reminds me sometimes on David Guetta :rolleyes:

The five things I don't like in New School Goa:

1. No stand out melodies.

Back then tracks could have one-two melodies, but they stuck in your head. Today tracks have 5-6 melodies that are easily forgettable.

2. Too much floatness. Where is the intensity? The crazy climaxes? The twists? I don't wannna guess a whole track just by listening the first 30 seconds. I don't wanna fall asleep, I want energy.

3. No dark Goa, no twisted Goa. It seems that everything today is about the sunshine or the positive energy. Back then was also about the obscure, the dreams, the night.

4. Too many oriental melodies. Goa doesn't necessarily means oriental melodies. Remember MWNN, Cydonia, Psychaos etc.

5. No evolution. When Pleiadians released FOL back in 1999 I thought that Goa made the big step into something new. The 'death' of the Goa scene obviously didn't help that evolution. New School Goa seems to start from day one (1995), when it could start from FOL and forth.

I couldn't agree more. That said, IMO, producers and labels are sort of helium gas balloons, they're beautiful, going up...and without direction. And that's a bad thing, because soon it all will be under an umbrella on which is written "boring". I was ultra-anxious about Chi-ad's release, I had hopes he was the guy who'd give neogoa a shock it needs so much. Unfortunately, his last tracks are as bland as the rest of the tracks we hear today. E-mantra was surprising, indeed, and I have DJed 4 or five of his tracks regularly - but it's coming to a point I can't hear them anymore...too much "sugar in space". I loved Alienapia's last release too, but I wish it was a little darker and not so atmospheric. I bought the first 3 Suntrip CDs, but I gave when I realized all artists sound as if they feel trapped in 1995 - old goa trance in 2010! However Suntrip's last compilation is good, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it. In short, everything is very predictable, too sweet, too simplistic.

I wish it changes soon before it fades away.

The five things I don't like in New School Goa:

1. No stand out melodies.

Back then tracks could have one-two melodies, but they stuck in your head. Today tracks have 5-6 melodies that are easily forgettable.

2. Too much floatness. Where is the intensity? The crazy climaxes? The twists? I don't wannna guess a whole track just by listening the first 30 seconds. I don't wanna fall asleep, I want energy.

3. No dark Goa, no twisted Goa. It seems that everything today is about the sunshine or the positive energy. Back then was also about the obscure, the dreams, the night.

4. Too many oriental melodies. Goa doesn't necessarily means oriental melodies. Remember MWNN, Cydonia, Psychaos etc.

5. No evolution. When Pleiadians released FOL back in 1999 I thought that Goa made the big step into something new. The 'death' of the Goa scene obviously didn't help that evolution. New School Goa seems to start from day one (1995), when it could start from FOL and forth.

+1000^50000

BTW is there an official release date for Mindspheres new album? That one should bring the goodies I hope :) I imagine what a track like Molecular Restrictive or Inner Cyclone would sound like in the hands of Tim Schuldt´s mastering B) I have no clue on how Mindspheres current style is, since he only released ambient tracks lately, but I am optimistic that it´s for a good reason (to save the goa tunes for the album) And isn´t there an upcoming compilation on suntrip with a darker theme as well, what´s the date for that one?

BTW is there an official release date for Mindspheres new album? That one should bring the goodies I hope :) I imagine what a track like Molecular Restrictive or Inner Cyclone would sound like in the hands of Tim Schuldt´s mastering B) I have no clue on how Mindspheres current style is, since he only released ambient tracks lately, but I am optimistic that it´s for a good reason (to save the goa tunes for the album) And isn´t there an upcoming compilation on suntrip with a darker theme as well, what´s the date for that one?

How i understand Ali from his blog on myspace about 2nd album will be some ambient... thats shame that great goa artists stoped goa after one success album :(

well on thing where the newschool period seems to be better than the old days is that the newschool compilation almost always have original tracklist without songs being previously released. There just that few oldschool compilations with a complete original tracklist.... But that's not a characteristic of the music itself offcourse...

With me I still have to fight over allot of prejudice from my side to newschool there is quite some good stuff out there but most stuff isn't really my taste

but there are allready some newschool cds that are classics to me The ones I will force up to my children :)

Khetzal

ka-sol

Ra!

So a little waiting till the spectrum of newschool expands a little more and than all the freaks will/schould be happy :)

How i understand Ali from his blog on myspace about 2nd album will be some ambient... thats shame that great goa artists stoped goa after one success album :(

Nooo are you kidding me? Why =( I mean his ambient is probably very good, but it´s not on a Solar Fields level you know what I mean? In the same way as I don´t think Solar Fields would be able to make Goa like Mindsphere did/does? Ok it can be nice with a little ambient intro to a goa album or as an outro/conclusion to the album, but as far as I am concerned those tracks are just fillers and not what I would buy those albums for. Anyways I can understand him, since it can get very tiresome producing fast goa tracks, so producing ambient as well might be a good counterweight.

At some point the music scene (and pick your scene - rap, rock, metal, trance etc) gets to a point

where it will no longer evolve or get better. Sure you will always have a new gem in extremely rare situations

but for the most part a style goes where its going to go, evolves or gets added to a little and then peaks.

I think this has happened with psytrance. Its not that I'm not enjoying some new stuff or that new producers

are not putting some music out there worth hearing - but if you take the scene as a whole, most of what can

be done has been done and all the new stuff is just an attempt at re-making something with a new twist that eventually

will be heard in a light that reveals its just not that new or interesting. This is the deal with new school psytrance

(be it melodic or twisted or progressive or dark etc) We all "smoked" and got high in the 90s and it was fantastic

and we spend the rest of our life trying to experience that same high from the old days and it just never comes back.

No matter how much new music comes out, the "high" is just never as intense as the first time.

The scene is convoluted, overpopulated and filled with TONS of mediocre (at best) music. Sure there are some good ones

scattered here and there, but finding true quality is getting harder and harder.

I think for a lot of us, we just end up falling back on the classics because they are the closest hope for taking us to "the right place"

This was my experience with Progressive Rock as well. I tried the Flower Kings and Willowglass and Porcupine Tree et all,

but at the end of the day I always end up going back to King Crimson, Yes, Genesis and Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

And I did't grow up listening to those bands as they were from an era before I was born. Most of their classics were

released between 69-72 and I was born in 74. But through my musical journeys I discovered old and modern era rock music

and was able to hear the quality and the difference in the music that was being done during its classic period.

There is a lot to be said about music being produced in its golden era - the magic is just different.

The same discoveries can be made by newer psy fans who were not around in the 90s or not listening to trance

and they can learn to distinguish between the oldies and the new stuff and hear the differences and feel the magic.

Psytrance has some decent music now, but the magic of that golden age has passed and its just not the same anymore.

IMO you have to be something very special in today's scene not only to stand out, but to stand the test of time.

In the end, I think a much smaller list of modern era "masterpieces" will be added to the psytrance canon.

All that said - cheers to Suntrip, Zenon, Timecode, Nexus, Yabai, Cosmic Conspiracy, Electric Power Pole, Insomnia, Exogenic, Ektoplazm, Sonic Dragon, Cronomi, Phototropic, Underground Alien

and a host of others really working hard to release quality psychedelic trance. As an avid fan of the music, I really do appreciate the efforts and all the new experiences.

Here's hoping that some of your gems truly stand the test of the ages and take their place among the greats.

Peace

Nooo are you kidding me? Why =( I mean his ambient is probably very good, but it´s not on a Solar Fields level you know what I mean? In the same way as I don´t think Solar Fields would be able to make Goa like Mindsphere did/does? Ok it can be nice with a little ambient intro to a goa album or as an outro/conclusion to the album, but as far as I am concerned those tracks are just fillers and not what I would buy those albums for. Anyways I can understand him, since it can get very tiresome producing fast goa tracks, so producing ambient as well might be a good counterweight.

He have great ambient, but i dont want ambiental album from 'goa master'...

I will never release ambient track under my Space Elves (old school project) or Imba (new school), than i will make another project for ambient.

I know he have some goa but not sure that will be on next album at Suntrip... sorry if i made mistake!

Guest D N H

I don't mind good nitz at all. Actually one of my all time favorite tracks is a actually a nitz/semi-nitz one. (Psychonauts-Howling At The Moon).

Do you mean Shadows Of The Moon ?

(For Shiva's sake Ormion, that has nothing to do with nitzo!)

I was wondering what kind of sound we would have if we had Electrypnose and neogoa sounds entwined. Neogoa artists should learn something from his pure psychedelia. IMO, the best producer nowadays, he can cross the dark and goa boundaries pleasing both sides.