• Average
    • Below average
    • Bad

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goa trance becoming melodic trance :rolleyes:

I voted awesome, but if you're in the mood for a darker goa experience, I just reviewed an EP from Direct Brain Access in the 2009 reviews. It's a free release and a 22 minute track. You will not be sorry.

Mdk

O-OW not this discussion again :P

I guess what they mean is music that doesn't focus on pure melodies but on athmospheres on structures maybe even on concepts :) and offcourse that music is in most cases darker then the melodic stuff....

I think some new school Goa is way superior to the average old school release. Look at it this way: the golden age lasted from 1995 to about 1998. New school Goa has been rocking out since 2004 and shows no sign of stopping. It's had more time to develop and mature.

O-OW not this discussion again :P

+1 :lol:

With all due respect, but I'm getting bored with all these endless Newschool-Oldschool superiority debates. Each period has it's bad names and each period has it's good names. And strangely enough, nobody 100% agrees with anybody else about which names are the bad ones and which are the good ones. It's called: tha fabulous miracle of taste and subjectiveness :) !!

The five things I don't like in New School Goa:

1. No stand out melodies.

Back then tracks could have one-two melodies, but they stuck in your head. Today tracks have 5-6 melodies that are easily forgettable.

2. Too much floatness. Where is the intensity? The crazy climaxes? The twists? I don't wannna guess a whole track just by listening the first 30 seconds. I don't wanna fall asleep, I want energy.

3. No dark Goa, no twisted Goa. It seems that everything today is about the sunshine or the positive energy. Back then was also about the obscure, the dreams, the night.

4. Too many oriental melodies. Goa doesn't necessarily means oriental melodies. Remember MWNN, Cydonia, Psychaos etc.

5. No evolution. When Pleiadians released FOL back in 1999 I thought that Goa made the big step into something new. The 'death' of the Goa scene obviously didn't help that evolution. New School Goa seems to start from day one (1995), when it could start from FOL and forth.

I still enjoy New School Goa very much. Filteria, Afgin, Agneton, Amithabha, Artifact 303, Subra, Alienapia, Khetzal etc. are really great producers and many new tracks beat the crap out of old school Goa, but like Basilisk said new school is here since 2004 so I believe it's time for the new step.

All IMO of course. :)

Back then tracks could have one-two melodies, but they stuck in your head. Today tracks have 5-6 melodies that are easily forgettable.

2. Too much floatness. Where is the intensity? The crazy climaxes? The twists? I don't wannna guess a whole track just by listening the first 30 seconds. I don't wanna fall asleep, I want energy.

Well I do agree a lot on these two points, hence why we created Sita Records...however it's kinda oriental all the way :P

@Djuna: You probably know most of it, but again, I guess your taste matches Cronomi Records, Space Baby Records and maybe also a few other 'freelance'-artists such as Arronax, Innerself & Liquid Mind... I enjoy their music a lot, but since my childhood I've always been attracted by larger-than-life cheeze, so that's my main preference B)

*EDIT*

Ultiva Records also fits the list!

3. No dark Goa, no twisted Goa. It seems that everything today is about the sunshine or the positive energy. Back then was also about the obscure, the dreams, the night.

4. Too many oriental melodies. Goa doesn't necessarily means oriental melodies. Remember MWNN, Cydonia, Psychaos etc.

5. No evolution. When Pleiadians released FOL back in 1999 I thought that Goa made the big step into something new. The 'death' of the Goa scene obviously didn't help that evolution. New School Goa seems to start from day one (1995), when it could start from FOL and forth.

You said it all.

Well I do agree a lot on these two points, hence why we created Sita Records...however it's kinda oriental all the way :P

I don't have any problems with oriental melodies, but I don't believe that Goa means necessarily oriental melodies.

I believe you agree with that.

All IMO of course. :)

I think main reason is number of producers and releases in golden ages. There was much more creative human beings and powerful substances involved in goa scene, comparatively to nowadays. So any goa freak was able to find something close to his taste.

But new school scene slowly grows... Many of the demanding people will get what they want if they'll live long enough. :D

Let's be optimistic.

My vote is Good. For now ;)

I believe that a lot of new school releases are of superb quality, thanks to a few well-known and respected labels. Yet, I am still waiting for something legendary, stuff with the quality of old pleiadians, hallucinogen, mfg, to name a few. I do believe though that it's a coming, I really do.

It's all a matter of time.

I think that people has got it all mixed up, Nitzhonot/Uplifting is not Goa Trance, besides an experiment by Pandemonium that had a pinch of Psychedelia/Goa Trance, which was enough to keep it interesting. But this recent wave of Nitzho/Uplifting with a new VA coming out every week is a bit to much. The lack of depth, psychedelia and the overuse of silly themes, emphasize on big kick drums and a generally simple/childish arrangement style, makes it a bit too much for me. Nitzhonot died out for a reason, it was simply to much cheese to handle for a normal human beeing, under the influence of a psychedelic substance. If the best Goa Trance is equivalent to a good movie or a well written good book with an intriguing story, that manages to convey the feeling of a psychedelic experience or some message from outer space. Then i guess Nitzho is equivalent to something in the vein of a comedy like Borat or anything else you might laugh at for five minutes, and then forget.

I do understand that not everyone wants too, or is capable of delivering the type of tracks MFG, UX, Crop Circles etc did. But atleast their music still kicks ass, I am quite sure that I will have forgotten this new wave of Nitzho and to some extent some of the New School Goa artist in 10 years from now. My impression is that this type of music (Nitzhonot) often tends to be appreciated by younger people, in the same way as the "music" of Basshunter, Aqua and Crazy Frog did.

And concerning some of the other stuff which is discussed in this thread, the so called New School Goa. I think that with the exception of a few artists out there, it´s basically just a rehasch of old ideas. Like some people have pointed out allready, Psychedelic Trance or Goa trance as it´s also called was never exclusively about oriental melodies. Most of the new producers of this genre are stuck in the idea that it has to have oriental melodies and india/shiva/baba crap themes, and I am not even sure about how many of the these new producers that have actually had a psychedelic experience? I mean to me Psychedelic Trance without psychedelia is like coffee without caffeine, no psychedelia=electronic belly dance music.

The Psychedelic Trance artists in the 90´s very often had their own distinct sound and style, which easily could have spawned a subgenre on their own. I mean just compare the style of for example: Sheyba, Slinky Wizard, MFG, UX, Hallucinogen, Dimension 5, Pleiadians, Man With No Name, Koxbox and many other less known artists. You could very easily recognize the tracks of these artists, by their characteristic style. Nowadays it´s an inbreed style with low genetic diversity which desperately needs an injection of fresh DNA.

I am not saying that I can do it any better then any of the other New School Goa artists, because the artists of the 90´s set the bar pretty damn high. But as a listener I sure can tell the difference. Because at the end of the day, most of these artists release their music, often on a profesionally mastered CD which is distributed via psyshop, beatspace, and other similar places. So I feel very comfortable in criticizing a genre that I have enjoyed a lot for many years. And that´s something these artist must be well aware of when releasing their music on a CD. Overall I think there is a bit to much ass kissing around here when there is a new release, always the same "KEEP GOA ALIVE BRO" "THIS IS MAGIC TRUE SHIVA GOA" or some other stupid crap which makes me yawn.

Flame on.

But this recent wave of Nitzho/Uplifting with a new VA coming out every week is a bit to much.

Exqueeze me ? :P Can you point out those releases plz? And for sure you enjoyed Nitz for longer than 5 minutes. Still got ur Nitzho tracks in my harddisk. And they kick ass btw...whatever u think about them. :)

EDIT: Also, the thread is about Newschool...I think most people already share a general feeling of disgust towards Nitz, so no need to discuss that here. :P

I think most people already share a general feeling of disgust towards Nitz, so no need to discuss that here. :P

About bad nitz.

I don't mind good nitz at all. Actually one of my all time favorite tracks is a actually a nitz/semi-nitz one. (Psychonauts-Howling At The Moon).

There is good and bad nitzo. Your music Agneton belongs to the good side. I'm not saying that cause you're here (I don't know you personally after all), but this is how good nitzo should be. Multilayered, crazy, psychedelic, intense with hard but not annoying kicks and cheesy yet not belly dance melodies.

Unfortunately you're the minority.

Although I have to admit that new school nitzo is 100 times better than the disgusting uplifting crap we use to have in Greece some years ago.

Thanks Ormion, and yes of course feel free to say what you don't like and what you do. It's a forum after all. I'm just guessing what Diaks is talking about. I can't recall any recent Nitzho stuff except for Sita Records. If there's more, then I'm really curious to discover this 'new wave of Nitzho', for sure we don't call 5 artist releasing 500 CD's a 'new wave', or a hype? That would be a bit too much honour :)...