The Alice In Wonderland topic

Lemmiwinks

So who has seen it yet? I have, and contrary to what some might believe, the overall atmosphere has NOTHING to do with the Alice of our childhood memories, it is very dark (well, it was directed by Tim Burton...) and some bits are almost like a horror movie, personally I don't quite understand how Disney agreed to release this... Oh yeah and Alice is HOT, there's this one scene where she's naked but we can't see much of her body :(

Saw it yesterday and hated it. Unlike the book and the older cartoon i didn't find the nonsensical story charming, it felt more like a bizarre fantasy movie, thoroughly predictable, lacking both a real sense of adventure and likable characters. I agree about Alice being hot however.

Saw it yesterday and hated it. Unlike the book and the older cartoon i didn't find the nonsensical story charming, it felt more like a bizarre fantasy movie, thoroughly predictable, lacking both a real sense of adventure and likable characters. I agree about Alice being hot however.

yep, I agree with what you are saying, somehow this just didn't look like Alice In Wonderland... I mean, ok it's Tim Burton so you'd expect it to be dark but still, at some parts it made me think more of Harry Potter than Alice, and yes the storyline was pretty linear whereas Alice In Wonderland should've been more like "wild" in some way.

So who has seen it yet? I have, and contrary to what some might believe, the overall atmosphere has NOTHING to do with the Alice of our childhood memories, it is very dark (well, it was directed by Tim Burton...) and some bits are almost like a horror movie, personally I don't quite understand how Disney agreed to release this... Oh yeah and Alice is HOT, there's this one scene where she's naked but we can't see much of her body :(

As always, I disagree:

I found the original way darker, this is as dark as Count Chocula

and I thought Alice was ugly and British :(

On topic: the movie is bad, skip it. And if you compare it to the original, it's an abomination.

I got my money back =)

Everything's said. Disappointment of the year.

Biggest letdowns: The caterpillar doesn't blow smoke rings, and that tea party ain't no party at all. Where is the nonsense, the madness? Johnny Depp impersonates the Mad Hatter as though he were still rehearsing for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. A bleak fantasy movie, that is indeed what it is. Nothing special.

Carroll's turning in his grave.

...and 3D totally sucks. I've got this kind of vision all day long, I don't need it in cinema. Good for me that I normally prefer movies where that doesn't make no sense anyway.

• 2 months later...

I wasn't liking it. I stopped at 40 minutes in. Thought it was fairly empty and uninteresting.

Jonny Depp has done way too many off-the-wall characters, Sweeney Todds, Wonkas, Mad Hatters, for fucks sake. He should have stopped at Scissorhands and diversified more with the type of character roles he chooses to develop his damn career!

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed this more that I thought I would. I had read a lot of negative things about it one of which was that there was no reason to introduce a love interest for the Mad Hatter. After watching it I was left wondering, who the hell was the love interest and why the hell do some people get paid to right reviews when they have no idea what they are talking about. I guess that reviewer had not even watched it but heard bits of gossip from other people. It's definitely worth a watch but not likely to be a classic.