How would define a "classic"?

Twisted D*U*O

I've had many discussions with many different individuals about many types of music. I try not to limit myself to any one type of music as it is a universal language that envokes emotion, preference, and even a good debate. Music in a unifier and (in my belief) a catalyst to peace.

In one of my discussions, we discussed the definition of a "classic". And there are as many definitions as there are ideas (which is what makes it a good conversation piece).

My definition of a "classic" track is this...

For me, a classic track or song is a song that leaves a lasting impression on me. It's piece of music that I can listen to over and over again and still get the same feeling that I got the first time I heard it. It's something that I don't mind hearing over and over again and even if sounds dated (due to recording or production), I can still get something from it.

• 1 month later...

I have two definitions of "classic"

One is a general classic and that is something that is still popular a long time after it was first popular. Examples are Mozart, Elvis & The Beatles.

The other is a personal classic and this is something that the individual still aodres after a long time. Examples for me are Atmos - Klein aber Doctor, Solar Fields - Air Song (I have no a good one hour mix of this track) and Secede - Friday Fall as well as many many more.

Popular classics I am not too bothered about and I am not worried about why I like my personal ones but I still love them years after I first heard them so they are my classics.

Right now I am listening to

:D

Classic :P

Well I conform to your definitions, I only have an addition. "Popularity classics" within' communities, but I guess that's just an extension of that term. In the old times they also sort were defined by how many different compilations they ended up being on :P, compiler's classics if u will!

I have two definitions of "classic"

One is a general classic and that is something that is still popular a long time after it was first popular. Examples are Mozart, Elvis & The Beatles.

The other is a personal classic and this is something that the individual still aodres after a long time. Examples for me are Atmos - Klein aber Doctor, Solar Fields - Air Song (I have no a good one hour mix of this track) and Secede - Friday Fall as well as many many more.

Popular classics I am not too bothered about and I am not worried about why I like my personal ones but I still love them years after I first heard them so they are my classics.

friday fall! A classic.

A classic is something too personal too be able to qualified it. I can define what I mean by a classic, but it's likely to be different for another person. B.P. Empireis a classic for me, but because I started my psychedelic journey with this album, so its likely to be different for someone else.

Like abasio said, there's the common classic album, and those that are classic for us personnaly. Dave matthews band-crash into me is a classic, and I doubt a lot of people consider it classio.

For me, a classic album is an album that brought something GOOD and ORIGINAL to the music scene, otherwise, its just a good album of psytrance, while hallucinogen twisted is a classic: he brought something the scene didnt expect. Something new.