"V/A - Artificial Sun"

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Title: Artificial Sun

Artist: Various

Label: Phototropic Records

Date: June, 2009

1. Antares - Prophecy (10:26)

2. Amithaba Buddha - Eye Can See You (Bright Remix) (6:28)

3. Zolphinia - Elixier (8:24)

4. LandScape ObServer - Dream Flow Controls (7:13)

5. ArmagedDance - Temple of Maya (8:41)

6. Goasia - Parasomnia (8:10)

7. Party Droids - Biogenesis Blaster (6:50)

8. Astreveta - Matter Magna (10:21)

9. Psydiver - Voyage to Ohmega (7:33)

This is my 3rd review of Phototropic Records who is one of the driving forces in the resurgence of goa trance. Based in Austria they have released several quality compilations (including this one) as well as artist albums such as "Goa Gate" by Amithaba Buddha and "Utopia" by Zolphinia. Whereas Suntrip has a stable of proven thoroughbreds prolific in this genre, Phototropic seems to come up with quite a few new acts. Starting with the cover, it is another colorful and beautiful image with sunshine hues in the shape of a flower. Really gets you in the mood to hear some intricate music.

Prophecy- Simon Felix has released a few tracks professionially, but has composed many more. Check out his page at Electrobel. There is some awesome stuff there. Which brings me to this track to open things and it is one of my favorite new school releases. This has a hint of mystery and Egyptian royalty as you stare across the desert. The bass scrambles forth as strings provide the backbone. The leads are cat quick and twisted just right. Melodies swarm the senses overlapping in a ballet of blissfull awareness. This is a perfect example of a track that grips the mind and takes you to far off places without a lot of changes. Out-fucking-standing.

Eye Can See You (Bright mix)- Sure Filipe is currently involved in his acid projects as well as the 8-Bit stuff, but he always manages to keep the old school flame burning. His "Goa Gate" album continues to see heavy rotation by me. But this is the project that appeals to me most. This could've been on his album. The bass is aggressive, but pales in comparison to the power of the leads. They are agile, adapting to the bass changes without a thought. The strings provide solar winds on which to soar as new melodies are introduced. True goa feel, through and through. Superb.

"Elixier"- Zolphinia is Tiago Braga who has also released a few things, his best track being "Land of Gods" on his album and Golden Vibes III. Bubbling synths clamor over a kick as tribal percussion sets itself in. The melodies ease in and they are stealthy, as they don't hit you over the head. I imagine another desert scene where the king looks out upon his subjects surveying all that he has come to acquire. Not a bad track, but nowhere near the equal of the previous two.

"Dream Flow Controls" Landscape Observer is Kirill Yumatov from Moscow and I first heard of him on the Resonant Earth site. More eerie beginnings as the synth rolls into a glass like lead. The undercurrent is that something wicked this way comes. The break brings a simple melody as the previous lead returns, but I am not a fan of that sound. And then it comes back again. Choose another preset! There isn't too much going on. Good, but not great.

"Temple of Maya"- Artur is at it again as synths and creatures unknown scurry from the forest with some percussion sounds. This definitely has a darker element. Melodies morph into each other with wispy strings. The break at four minutes allows me to see where the path has taken me. Fluttering butterflies on gossamer wings draw me deeper into the forest. An abrasive lead takes control, but it isn't long before it disappears from whence it came. The final bubbling lead is delicious! While not as powerful, it does the job creating a delicious atmosphere.

"Parasomnia"- Goasia are Balint Tihamer & Vladislav Radulovic and we are all eagerly awaiting their new album. A speedy bassline and soft pads give way to rolling melodies. Smooth transitions here, as new leads are added putting my mind in the clouds. I'm flying on eagle's wings getting closer and closer to the brilliant orb in the sky. Totally different that the last track in that this is all light. Fantastic track.

"Biogenesis Blaster" Party Droids is Filipe and Agneton and this is their only track. But wow! You can hear Filipe's influence straight away. Massive in scope with the signature melodies from Agneton. It sounds similar to the Amithaba Buddha track on this same compilation, but whay do you expect. Wide open pads with a flanger like quality, as the lead jumps about as if on hot coals. I love the Nitzhonot touch, very goa without becoming a cheesefest. This just drips with the Middle East vibe, and makes me nod my head with approval. So detailed with melodies all over the place. Awesome!

"Matter Magna"- Astreveta are Veton Avdiu, Liridon Uka & Albert Hasani from Kosovo. Good to see something from that area. This track grows slowly as a garbled radio message tries to warn us. Two and a half minutes in the melodies arrive as a 303 growls underneath. The break at 4'20" (coincidence?) brings back the radio message along with a forlorn lead. As the beat slows down, the synths become fatter and more commanding. I felt that this track went on to long and could've incorporated more melodies. That said, still a pretty good track.

"Voyage To Ohmega"- Slower in tempo with a wicked swagger. The melodies are out front and are a force to be reckoned with. They evolve and maintain that sense of other worldliness. Climbing higher and higher, they twist into the stratosphere. New sounds join the old creating quite the mixture. If this went on for 30 minutes I wouldn't complain. I will be keeping an eye on this Russian. Awesome!

And again Phototropic Records comes through with a smash! This is as good as "Goatronika." Like the promo said, this will go from light to dark sounding goa trance. The melodies are warm and supernatural. There isn't one bad track on this disc. I highly recommend this piece of aural art, you will not be disappointed. :D

Psyshop

Beatspace

Saikosounds

Mdk