Top Psytrance Record Labels

ariScotle

I search for top 10 lists and so on all the time

and here on Psynews I have found favorite albums, tracks, djs, festivals etc

but I have not seen a good list of top or favorite record labels.

As I am always looking for great recommendations, or to see what people are in to, or to spur on a healthy conversation about things

I present the Top Psytrance Record Label list

(forgive me if this thread exists elsewhere, I just could not find it)

My list has a few different angles - and it can look like this

Current absolute favorites (a top 10 list)

-no particular order, though the top 3 pretty much are at the top for me

TOP 10:

1. Timecode

2. Suntrip

3. Zenon

4. Sonic Dragon

5. Hadra

6. Nexus Media

7. D-A-R-K

8. Phototropic

9. Glowing Flame

10. Parvati

Classics:

Dragonfly

Blue Room Released

TIP

Matsuri

Spirit Zone

Honorable Mention:

Iono

Ektoplazm

Triplag

Nano

Digital Psionics

Kagdila

Antiscarp

Underground Alien Factory (though their stock is seriously rising)

Headed in the wrong direction:

Iboga

HOM-Mega

Make your list, have some fun, start some conversation, discover new labels and new music, rediscover some classics, be nice to each other - and as always PsyON

(PS - I'm really looking for some standout Chillout labels as well (something not called Ultimae - nothing against Ultimae, but I know that one :)

Cheers

Yes wrong direction.

But Iboga is still releasing Perfect Stranger.

Ohh. I <3 Perfect Stranger..

Yeah, it really is a shame that with a resume that includes

Behind Blue Eyes

Flowjob

Antix

FREq

Ace Ventura

Beat Bizarre

Phony Orphants

Maelstrom

and ofc Perfect Stranger

that they release that new Snow Flakes VA - which is really commercial pop sounding house trance or something

too bad

long live better Iboga days

I would say:

1. Suntrip

2. Timecode

3. Nexus Media and Glowing Flame Records

4. Yabai Records

5. DAT records, Phototropic and Cronomi records.

The above 8 for me are blind buys. Period.

Mdk

Edit: How could I have forgotten Digital Psionics and the best Progressive Trance Label IONO?!?

I mentioned Insomnia and Avatar in the other thread, and I'll stick with those two as my faves.

(PS - I'm really looking for some standout Chillout labels as well (something not called Ultimae - nothing against Ultimae, but I know that one :)

Maybe try...

Celestial Dragon

Ajana

?

Nice too see that people love UAF Records.

For me best labels are:

Suntrip

Kagdila

Phototropic

Sita

Cronomi

Ezel Ebed

Space Baby

I wrote only goa because i only listening goa in last time...

The lack of Flying Rhino in your list is appalling!

Truly... and I also forgot TIP

Thanks for the reminder.

You know how it goes - blasting away on a list and just post it...

Next thing you know.

Anyway

Cheers for participating everyone.

Keep it coming

today (in no particular order):

Zenon Records

Cosmic Conspiracy Records

Electric Power Pole Records

Bio-Sine Records

the old days (in no particular order):

Blue Room Released

Koyote Records (UK)

Flying Rhino Records

POF Music

Matsuri Productions

Psychic Deli

R.I.P.

Blue Room Released

Dragonfly Records

Flying Rhino Records

Matsuri Productions

Spirit Zone Recordings

Transient Records

At this moment:

Twisted Records

Suntrip Records

Nano Records

Phototropic Records

Cronomi Records

Zenon Records

I must update my list to include

Yabai Records

Insomnia Records

two great ones that have a lot of good stuff coming out lately.

All the new SWOG (second wave of goa) labels are pretty nice too

Underground Alien Factory

Cronomi

Sita

Ezel-Ebed

Space Baby

Tranceform

cheers to all the great new goa stuff... keep up the good work

In no particular order:

"Trance"

6-Dimension Soundz

Gi'iwa Production (RIP)

Antiscarp Records

Faerie Dragon Records

Exogenic Records

Psy-Harmonics

Demon tea Recordings

Space Baby Records

Glowing Flame Records

Yggdrasil Records

Sanaton Records

Parvati Records

Schlabbaduerst Rekkords

Matsuri Records(RIP)

Tokyo Tekno Tribe(RIP)

TIP Records(RIP)

Flying Rhino Records(RIP)

Blue Room Released(RIP)

Cronomi Records

Suntrip Records

Zenon Records

"Downtempo"

Databloem

Somnia

Ultimae Records

Sending Orbs

Dakini Records

Celestial Dragon Records

Aleph Zero Records

Ajana Records

Timeroom Editions

Interchill Records

Native State Records

Liquid Sound Design

Thinner

---

I think it's really hard singling out a few top labels, many has a very good catalogue and an important input, but no-one is perfect :P well perfect makes no real sense, but that's why my list is so long (anyways :P) and I probably also forgot other labels I would rank as "top-labels".

Why? Because they look toward the future instead of staying put in the past?

You know it's good to try out new things once in a while ;)

Not because of trying new things - I'm never against that - but because its going commercial/house/pop

and getting away from some of its gritty/progressive roots.

Not opposed to new styles and different sounds, but IMO as a psytrance label they are taking a turn for the worse.

Just my opinion though.

Not because of trying new things - I'm never against that - but because its going commercial/house/pop

and getting away from some of its gritty/progressive roots.

Not opposed to new styles and different sounds, but IMO as a psytrance label they are taking a turn for the worse.

Just my opinion though.

But Iboga has not been a psytrance label for years. They have release mostly prog. trance and is still true to the prog. trance roots as well as getting into other scenes such as techno and tech house. I really do not understand why you refer to them as a psytrance label. It's like the many people confusing prog. trance with psytrance on a daily basis all over the various forums. I never understood why they never noticed the difference.

But Iboga has not been a psytrance label for years. They have release mostly prog. trance and is still true to the prog. trance roots as well as getting into other scenes such as techno and tech house. I really do not understand why you refer to them as a psytrance label. It's like the many people confusing prog. trance with psytrance on a daily basis all over the various forums. I never understood why they never noticed the difference.

call it what you like

in this forum you will see everywhere references to all the artists and popular releases on Iboga

at least here it is meant to mean "progressive psytrance" which is why I refer to them as a psytrance label

Of course I understand the difference between progressive trance and psyprog - and I believe that Iboga is starting to lean to the more prog-trance/tech-house/pop-trance side of progressive

and I happen to not like it

That's ok right?

After all this post is supposed to be just a place to list favorite labels - maybe dropping my extra 2 cents with "headed in the wrong direction" was a bad idea

Either way I still love some Iboga stuff, but I'm not sure about the new stuff

call it what you like

in this forum you will see everywhere references to all the artists and popular releases on Iboga

at least here it is meant to mean "progressive psytrance" which is why I refer to them as a psytrance label

Of course I understand the difference between progressive trance and psyprog - and I believe that Iboga is starting to lean to the more prog-trance/tech-house/pop-trance side of progressive

and I happen to not like it

That's ok right?

After all this post is supposed to be just a place to list favorite labels - maybe dropping my extra 2 cents with "headed in the wrong direction" was a bad idea

Either way I still love some Iboga stuff, but I'm not sure about the new stuff

I respect your taste that's not my issue here. My issue is the term "psytrance" misused over and over again toward music that's not intended to be psytrance. I know the Iboga guys since 1994 and also know what their release vision is. Yes they originate from the psytrance scene here in Denmark but their vision of releasing music is far from being psytrance these days (and have not been the vision for quite a while). I know many people call everything they meet in this scene "psytrance - this and that" but that does not make it correct just because it's available in this scene (another debate). Progressive trance in this scene has for many years not had much to do with psytrance. That's of course my opinion but I do analyze the music before I speak :)

this is an interesting discussion, even if it goes heavily off topic. i see your point Elysium, but just calling Iboga stuff "progressive trance" cannot be the solution, because sometimes crappy music such as Gigi D'Agostino or Ferry Corsten is called "progressive trance". and there's a big difference between Iboga Records releases and those artists. I think therefore "progressive psytrance" is a useful term, although i agree that most stuff released by european labels doesn't sound psy-ish at all even if most people call it psytrance or progressive psytrance

I respect your taste that's not my issue here. My issue is the term "psytrance" misused over and over again toward music that's not intended to be psytrance. I know the Iboga guys since 1994 and also know what their release vision is. Yes they originate from the psytrance scene here in Denmark but their vision of releasing music is far from being psytrance these days (and have not been the vision for quite a while). I know many people call everything they meet in this scene "psytrance - this and that" but that does not make it correct just because it's available in this scene (another debate). Progressive trance in this scene has for many years not had much to do with psytrance. That's of course my opinion but I do analyze the music before I speak :)

just out of curiousity lets hear what iboga records have to say to that. may be someone iboga records? may be profane, please.

btw elysium, as you say,"I know many people call everything they meet in this scene "psytrance - this and that"", that I know is because for many people psytrance is not just music but a way of life.

this is an interesting discussion, even if it goes heavily off topic. i see your point Elysium, but just calling Iboga stuff "progressive trance" cannot be the solution, because sometimes crappy music such as Gigi D'Agostino or Ferry Corsten is called "progressive trance". and there's a big difference between Iboga Records releases and those artists. I think therefore "progressive psytrance" is a useful term, although i agree that most stuff released by european labels doesn't sound psy-ish at all even if most people call it psytrance or progressive psytrance

Maybe I did not express myself correct. I am merely discussing this out from a music analytical opinionand not from a "lifestyle" etc. point of view No matter if the artists originate from the psytrance scene or not most progressive "psy" trance got very few references back to original psytrance - except for the fact many artists originate from the scene. In my opinion its simply two different genres and by that I believe it's misguiding to call it psy-progressive. There are notable differences in the way the music is composed and where psytrance is more "wild" and focus on faster BPM, yes it can also be more slow but in general we see 145+ BPM, and an overall "trippy" atmosphere (in a perfect world) Progressive trance is first of all more slow, yes some early progressive "psy" trance was faster but not really anymore, and focus much more on harmonies (big harmonic stabs etc.) and a more "sophisticated" sound (not to be misunderstood as being better in any sense).

just out of curiousity lets hear what iboga records have to say to that. may be someone iboga records? may be profane, please.

btw elysium, as you say,"I know many people call everything they meet in this scene "psytrance - this and that"", that I know is because for many people psytrance is not just music but a way of life.

Why would Profane be a better person to judge this (no offense mate)? I mean yeah he is associated with Iboga but does that make him more competent to say if I am right or wrong? As I said I also know the Iboga guys and have followed their release strategy for years now and should be just as competent to know what I am talking about when it comes to their releases. Yes as I have repeated I know Iboga originate from the psytrance scene and yes a few releases might have a few references toward psytrance (examples: Orion, Behind Blue Eyes) but the majority of their releases has now for a very long time been geared toward a much wider audience. I can give you a good example.

When Iboga started to release their material on Beatport they classified their music as psytrance (and some of their releases still end up there - in some cases wrongly) but I am quite positive Beatport at one point directed their releases into the appropriate section which was progressive house and these days into the techno and tech house sections. Because this is how everybody else beside the psytrance scene hear most Iboga releases. Not as psy.progressive but as progressive Trance/House and with the late remixes Techno/Tech Trance.

So my point still remain that 99,5% of all Iboga releases are not psy these days and by that it's misguiding to call it Progressive Psy-trance.

And as I wrote above in my reply to goa-getter I am not discussing this from a "life-style" point of view.It's from a musical point of view only.