How do you feel when you listen to psytrance?

Mauk

I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts about psytrance : )

-How do you feel when you listen to psytrance? If you close your eyes, what do you see?

-What makes Psytrance so unique? What's the best thing about it?

-How do you feel when you listen to psytrance?

I don't think there's an answer to this. It depends on too many other factors.

If you close your eyes, what do you see?

My eyelids.

I tend to find that the best psytrance is that which I enjoy on the conscious level rather than the unconscious level, i.e. it gives me something to think about rather than just making me want to dance. I don't think I can narrow it down more than that, since a large part of what makes good psytrance psychedelic is the fact that it sounds unlike other psytrance.

How I feel? Depends. But the universal thing with, good, goatrance is that it occupies my mind with far better things than what is there without it. It's abstract music and I have a wild imagination, perfect for me.

How do you feel when you listen to psytrance?

On average either indefferent, annoyed or depressed. Unfortunately.

Hm...the vision spilling over into the external world?

What makes Psytrance so unique?

Rarely anything.

What's the best thing about it?

Those rare bits.

When the music is good - I feel like I'm totally transported to some other place with no war, no sickness, do death, no work, no drama, no pain, no bills, no hate, no pollution and NO OTHER NOISE.

Just me and the music.

Granted, the music has to be good.

Goa/Psytrance is the greatest musical experience I've ever had, and I can't get enough.

For me the best -

Goa Trance from about 94-97

South African / Full-On Night / Twilight

Zenon style Progressive

Darkpsy ala Tumult, Sigilweaver, Shenanigans

This stuff just gets me to the right place.

When I close my eyes - I see nothing, just hear and feel the music.

PsyON

The good songs make me feel incredibly powerful emotions and vent stuff that's buried deep inside. Mostly what I'm after is those soaring staccato melodies and the acid lines or a well executed sense of a peculiar kind of progression into the unknown.

Most of it just makes me a bit stressed though.

Okay, let me answer this for me personally.

Excited, happy and mostly damn awesome, when it's good stuff. When sitting somewhere, I tap my feet or nod my head slightly. Also happens in the subway...

When I'm running to it, then I feel even more awesome!

The music generally puts me into a state of activity. Positivity. I'm excited, do things faster (housework), walk faster on the streets, am happier and more motivated to do things. It's like a magic potion, only that it works aural. I think it's because of the brainwaves ... my brain tends to think in circles, uncontrollably, various and not focused, but when the rhythm of the sound comes in, it all sort of shifts into place better and the effects are interesting.

At the moment I have to give a lot of power in my life ... I have job, girlfriend, sports, friends and family and I think I would not have had the energy to bring this all so well together without psy (well, progressive to be precise). Even though I can work without psy (as I have proven on various travels where I stayed abstinent), life is just so much better with it :)

-If you close your eyes, what do you see?

Nothing. Seriously.

Only when I have a headache, I do see things with closed eyes. Can be very lucid images and films actually. Or it's just colorful stuff ... which occasionally continues to stay there when I open the eyes again ... depends on the headache I have (seriously). I do not do illegal drugs btw...

-What makes Psytrance so unique?

Simply said, no other music gives me that energy in exactly that way. It's just that. And the fact that the music is very free and there are a lot of styles and combinations, ranging from instrumental tribal stuff (Hilight Tribe, Etnoscope,...) over twisted psychedelic trance (Hallucinogen,...) down to the old school goa trance (Dimension 5, RA) over kickass funky progressive (Pusherstreet, Magnetrixx,...) up to spacy soundscapes (S-Range), over to dark twisted stuff (Gappeq,...) till Fullon (Silicon Sound,...) and even then there's still something in between such as Atmos, Shiva Chandra, Eat Static and soooo many more...

-What's the best thing about it?

Energy.

Makes me relaxed and positive, always in mood.

Good for meditation and for mind clearing, for thinking.

If i listen intesive good goa can be in trans for about 1 hour :)

Amazing feeling, cant describe ;)

totally depends on the track

in my imagination anything from ancient temples to rainbow-coloured rotating shapes

for good psytrance (which is rare) : unique sounds and the 'out-there' atmosphere it creates

for good goatrance: the complexity. lots of different, constantly changing layers playing at the same time. it's music you can totally get lost in.

Goa and psy have the power to make me happy, give off good vibes or make me feel totally awesome.

It often gives me the "train"-feeling, as if the music were a locomotive, taking me places or just moving forward, through an everchanging soundscape.

I don't really "see" anything when I listen to the music, It does make me think about a lot of things though, like hyperspeed spacetravel, ancient shamanistic dancing rituals or really huge factories with pumping machines.

The complexity and absolute awesomeness, the "alien" feel and the sound is sometimes so spot on, it's actually hard to believe. Never has any kind of music given me the postive energy and euphoria good psy/goa gives me.

-How do you feel when you listen to psytrance? If you close your eyes, what do you see?

a real rush, floating in space sort of thing

the sheer joie de vivre or energy

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what's playing. I prefer melodies and flowing sounds, so I like to get blissful when listening to music.

I'm a music conductor (as in orchestration), so I tend to see notes flowing around me. I've been caught a few times with my eyes closed and entranced while (literally) conducting the orchestra in my mind.

I find psytrance to be music that you can easily lose yourself in your own head or be motivated to dance 'til it hurts. I can listen to a track or mix and be in the mindset to just chill out and be lost in my own transcendental universe. Other times, while listen to the same track or mix, I simply just go bonkers and dance around wildly. I like the (most) psytrance will allow you to find your bliss in either direction.

• 10 years later...

My heart rate goes fast gradually and I tend to get colder. I kinda get rigid and scared. Maybe because of the past bad experiences? But one thing for sure. I've known the darkest secrets just by feeling things during the trip. 

Used to feel excited & high but the last decade it's become so generic the majority Makes me feel bored. I've gone back to my techno & drum n bass roots as those genres have become interesting again the last few years. This genre needs a good kick up the experimental arse.

I've got Pspiralife coming over in a week or two to have a modular jam session, see if his psy style can mesh with my acid techno expirements. Plus I'm keen for him to teach me the in's and outs of Bitwig.