PSYNEWS BEST OF 2009 RESULTS

mars

"Just my opinion". Come on, save us the disclaimer. If it was for me, then you don't know how I function. Else, who could contradict your statement? It's valid, it's obvious, there's no need for a demonstration. Anyone thinking the contrary would just be an idiot.

Henrik, it's really, really not against you, but I'm sick and tired of these "just my opinion" at the end of way too many posts. They are usually there because posters think someone's gonna complain or argue one way or another and they wanna cut the crap before it happens. Fine, but does your daily troll take these precautions? No.

By just-my-opinion'ing, you're eventually looking weaker, hence encouraging people to argue pointlessly, cause this disclaimer is now commonly interpreted as "I don't care about my opinion anyway". Do you really want to make lamers this favour?

I do believe the world needs people with an opinion. Maybe execs find it convenient that their employees are so "open", but it's just a catch. By staying right in the middle, with (almost) no opinion, by already starting a conversation with a promise for compromise, you are just making yourself look less smart, more tractable, less likely to obtain what you want. And your boss will be happy to be surrounded by wankers spending their times on silly compromises...so that he can keep control. Right.

What I'm trying to say is that, in the best case, you're not helping yourself. Are you afraid of what a bunch of idiots think? Fuck idiots, they're idiots. And I'm here to ban theirs idiot asses.

wow...

well no, it just sounded like you were stressed on finishing at some kind of dead-line (or what ever), so I just didn't want to give the impression of saying that if you didn't spend a lot time on programming, it would end up being shit! So I was not thinking about what some imaginary troll might or might not say, it was more a (maybe misguided) politenss toward your work (in proces)!

But I hear you and I kind of get your frustration of the whole imo thing, it can be rather annoying, and people might say it of different reasons. And yes it is an overuse sort of obvious lame statement. But I guess those daily-trolls you mentioned sort of spark a counter reaction maybe?! But then again, I don't really care much about this looking weaker thing, I don't see that, cus frankly, if what you say makes sense that's what matters! Sense is made by content, not lame punch-lines! But I think people should be able see pass that, otherwise, what's the point? And if not, they will in my book be the weak or less cognitive :P no?!

But I think you have a good point no matter what! I guess it sort of need it right time and place to make sense! No reason to cry wolf :ph34r:

Héhéhéhé, yes, I'm following your point.

I reckon my workplace is bleeding on me, sorry. There noone wants any responsibility for void reasons too long to explain, thus I hear and read literrally hundreds of quotes like that every day. They basically mean "I said something, so you can't blame me for not doing my job; but I can't be liable to what I said either, as the overall responsibility is yours; all the more as I'm frustrated from not having the brains to get your job, damn foreigner". At the end of the day, I truly feel like I've been working in an asylum.

It should explain. But I'm still think my points were valid.

FYI my overall issue is not code, which won't change since the 2009 bestof. My problem is data consistency: I have to fill the database with all 200x releases and it's a tremendous work if you count everything. I made some crazy-meta-script that fetches and parses the data I want but it's not always complete and there may be dupes. I'm checking if I can tune it to make it more precise but I doubt it. So I'll run it for real soon and it'll all start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great work Mars!

Glad to see Solar Fields - Movements won best Chill via main artist. That Filteria won uptempo main. And that V/A - People Walk Funny got uptempo comp (I won't argue with that; it's great).

And I just became aware of the V/A - Imaginary Friends compilation because of this thread!!! Very happy about that. :)

There's a handful of great albums here that I missed now checking out! Btw this thread should inspire artists and labels to release higher quality albums.

Not to be a pain in the a** but I still only see 2009 releases included in the Best of 2000-2009 vote. Yet people have still voted only for 2009 releases. Why not shut down that votes until its fair game for all artist involved in releases between 2000-2009? Just a suggestion :)

• 1 month later...

It's not about being fair, it's a mistake.

The vote session starts when you schedule the system to do so. As I was unable to fill the database correctly back in March (it's thousands of entries), I put a remote date, thinking "ok by then I'll have had the time". That date was May 1st. And still I haven't found the time to fill correctly the database. May 1st arrived and the system autmatically opened the votes without me noticing. Only a few including you, did, I think. I just changed the date to the end of the year, I hope to find a way to fill the database within July and maybe we can start a real vote then.

I'm really sorry this vote hasn't happened yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice work, but this is just too subjective...

There is a big difference between New school goa and Classic Full-on, albums like Hujaboy – Cut The Power and Delirious Noon – Launch For Lanctus not reaching the top 10 make me sick, because some Goa-crazy fans want Suntrip's discography on the top. Obviously some people love the goa sound and just hate everything else.

I strongly recommend for next time a separate Uptempo-Full-on/psy/whatever you call it column and another Uptempo-Goa column.

Nice work, but this is just too subjective...

A poll about musical tastes is subjective? :o

There is a big difference between New school goa and Classic Full-on, albums like Hujaboy – Cut The Power and Delirious Noon – Launch For Lanctus not reaching the top 10 make me sick, because some Goa-crazy fans want Suntrip's discography on the top.

Actually, we get paid by Suntrip to rig the vote. Nobody really likes the music. :rolleyes:

As an alternative explanation, people who like a certain kind of music will vote for it? :o

Obviously some people love the goa sound and just hate everything else.

"Hate everything else" is something you just made up. Still, it's true that people may prefer some kind of music to something else.

... :o

What's the alternative? To use a deterministic algorithm to calculate the artistic merits of every album? To ban the majority from voting because they're wrong? To replace the majority vote with your opinion, because it's less subjective?

OK, you have this somewhat sensible suggestion:

I strongly recommend for next time a separate Uptempo-Full-on/psy/whatever you call it column and another Uptempo-Goa column.

It's not as far fetched as one might think first. We are already limiting choices by only including certain genres. We are dividing stuff to up/downtempo, even though sometimes there's a grey area inbetween. However,

1) This division is even harder to make.

2) Three of top ten uptempo albums received less than ten votes. If we split stuff even further, the whole thing will be totally swinged by single individual votes. Not very feasible considering the current participation.

3) I'd say the top 20 is already about half-and-half of your suggested subgenres. It's entirely possible to reach a top spot with modern style releases. They just need to get a bit better.

If you want Hujaboy (#86, supported by one voter) to top ten, there's not much else you can do than start your private voting without letting anyone else in. Would it be less subjective then?

Then the alternative, make a single Top ten, where everyone choose a single cd/album/VA.

By "Hate everything else", i meant dislike, cuz i know some guys who miss the "old school" and still consider the full-on as non psychedelic crap (And please believe me :( ))

I didn't vote and i dont like a particular artist but i found it hard to believe that in some other places, other people (a lot more than you said) are voting differently, this means that something just dont fit....

What's the alternative? To use a deterministic algorithm to calculate the artistic merits of every album? To ban the majority from voting because they're wrong? To replace the majority vote with your opinion, because it's less subjective?

GET MORE PEOPLE TO VOTE? THAT'S ALL :) :) :) :)

PS: my best album for 2009 is Arcana_E-Mantra, but it doesn't mean that my top10 is all about Suntrip's disco, other album deserve a chance ;)

Sorry ;)

Then the alternative, make a single Top ten, where everyone choose a single cd/album/VA.

By "Hate everything else", i meant dislike, cuz i know some guys who miss the "old school" and still consider the full-on as non psychedelic crap (And please believe me :( ))

I didn't vote and i dont like a particular artist but i found it hard to believe that in some other places, other people (a lot more than you said) are voting differently, this means that something just dont fit....

GET MORE PEOPLE TO VOTE? THAT'S ALL :) :) :) :)

PS: my best album for 2009 is Arcana_E-Mantra, but it doesn't mean that my top10 is all about Suntrip's disco, other album deserve a chance ;)

Sorry ;)

You are arguing the popular (psynews) opinions.

The Psynews Best Of is what it is. Conduct this same query somewhere else and you indeed get different results(Different people, different community, different general like-dislike's). What I've learned that most here are into new school goatrance and not that much into psytrance, or full-on, aside from the occasional releases.

It's just how it is, arguing this is pointless since you won't just be able to make people vote different albums because you happen to think they're better and deserve it.

And if you want more votes, you can always promo the Best Of elsewhere, to ask people to share their top 10's.