V/A - Frogology

Colin OOOD

Review by Kazuku, first posted on Isratrance here.

Artist: Various

Album: September 2009

Label: Frogadelic Records

Cat #: FGY1CD001

Cover: Posted Image

Frogadelic Records has its origins with the British party collective Tribe of Frog who are known for their indoor events and ellaborate deco work.

The line-up which is unravelled upon us by Frogadelic Records is truly monumental, with plenty of big names present. Next to classics like OOOD and AMD we are also treated to artists which represent boundry pushing, cutting edge Psytrance such as Braincell, Scorb and Tron.

1. Frogology-OOOD

2. Material World-FLIP FLOP AND TRON

3. Roadshow-AMD

4. The big trick-BRAINCELL

5. Frog addict fearsome-FEARSOME ENGINE

6. What Happened-RASTALIENS AND VIRTUAL LIGHT

7. Soothsayer-ARCHAIC

8. TOF-U-EVP

9. Malevolent Intent-SUBLIMINAL SYSTEM

10. It's about time (Frog rmx)-SCORB

1) OOOD transport us into a rich jungle setting where we find ourselves surrounded by frogs (surprise, surprise!) croaking along rhythmically in the dusk, setting the scene for what is about to break through the trees. Over the years OOOD has always managed to create a sound which always has an organic feel to it, and this is also the case here. The track simply sounds rich and bustling with energy and life like the ecosystem it is letting us envision .A playful track which coils and uncoils, winds and rolls around, plays with us without losing direction and is always good for another surprise, while croaking its way towards a wild climax of luminescent frog sex around the seven minute mark. Definetly a track that can bring smiles to any dance floor while never losing power. Great opener.

2) Flip Flop and Tron pick up the place with their driving track "Material World". The combination works smoothly and the result could be described as intelligent Full-On. Yes, in many ways it lives from a full-on style formula, long breakdown all inclusive, and it is the "ride the baseline" vibe that pushes the track forward in essence, but it does not rely on this alone. The collaboration manages to conjure up enough atmospherics to cater to body and mind. Another interesting aspect is the lead that you hear from the 2.20 minute mark onwards. As this album has been created as a concept album with many songs being specifically written for this project, many sound elements seem to flow through the album, connecting it through these somewhat similar/reoccurring elements. The rotational saw (sorry for lack of better descriptive expressions) lead I mentioned is an example of this, but maybe that's just my fucked up ears. This track has a lot of twists and turns and positive energy throughout. What remains similar to the OOOD track is the richness of the sound. I am no expert, but am sure the production must be excellent.

3) I like the last AMD a lot and Roadshow did not disappoint me either. This track continues our journey through Frogland seamlessly. The most intense track so far, we are a constant influx of subtle crackling pulses, a determined baseline yet never losing touch for humour. Again and again the organic croak-calling of the frogs patches things together. This track unfolds itself in phases, each phase being ushered in by quirky leads paving our path through the frog infested jungle. Don't you love it when tracks are brim full with ideas and creativity that lesser artists may have created 3 or more tracks out of it? This is a great example of this. Vocal sample enhances the atmosphere and does not become cheese-laden in any way.

4) I might be a bit biased here, but Braincells music is amazing to my ears. Maybe the purest Psychedelic trance that can be heard 2010 AD imo. The way Ralph manages to create tracks that flow so smoothly, moulding old-and new-school elements together as easily as if they were play dough. The stuff on Temple of One was amazing, Transformation of reality was amazing, it just keeps getting better and better. His music knows only one direction, forwards into the vortex and beyond, the spirit of Goa hovering above it, ever present. The Big Trick is no different, absolute high tech wizardry.

5) Fearsome Engine are the combo of Tristan and Laughing Buddha. These names enjoy an immense amount of respect in the psychedelic trance scene and on Frogology they have managed to contribute a very unique track which almost defines a whole new style unlike anything I have heard that I can remember. I have not heard the Fearsome Engine album, I must get round to it if it is as special as this. It combines old school elements with a very organic sound, a funky base that you have got to hear for yourself and a kind of peculiar UK club vibe (in a strange but good way). Its definitely a track which sticks in your ear and has amazing dance floor potential. I bet this has absolutely driven some dance floors completely mad. It also has an innate playfulness which is again reflected throughout this album.

6) Rastaliens and Virtual Light come crashing in at 145 BPM with a twisted yet melodic night time tune. After a short intro we are being driven a seemingly optimistic future, but chaos begins to unfold as layer over layer of mysterious effects sweep in over a bouncy baseline that never loses its humour or takes itself too seriously, another coherent theme throughout the album. Not my favourite on this album, ´for home listening at least, but should wreck havoc on dance floors at 3am (or any other time for that matter),

7) Archaic continues in a night-time orientated manner and plays with tribal elements that work nicely and give the track a lot of its personality. The Organic sounds are back again, croaking and squelching as the track gains in intensity and becomes increasingly mystery-charged. After a brief phase of clarity the relentless chattering of natural and supernatural forest animals infiltrates our brains again. Our journey through the frog-forest seems to have taken us to a strange place. For my taste the track could have gone on for a bit longer, ends kind of abruptly imo. That tribal flare really brings something to the table, need more…

8) TOF-U continues by EVP continues nicely where Archaic left off, night time sounds with a strong tribal touch, a weird symbiosis of the organic and inorganic. Definitely the most twisted track on the album, taking strangeness one step further, like having a 1980´s arcade with pinpall machines and video games and a rocket launch pad in your head over a determined baseline rushing along at 148 BPM If you have heard some other EVP stuff you have an idea what to expect. Solid track but not one of my personal highlights.

9)Our journey through Frogland is nearing an end and this is signified by a return to relative clarity courtesy of Subliminal System, I had not heard anything from Subliminal System before this and I was almost blown away. Again we are treated to a very unique style shaped from several different influences. The sound is very clean and builds very nicely with some beautiful melodies, crystal base-lines and crazy effects which are in themselves rhythmic components. The baseline and lead around the 2.15 mark really kicked my ass. Biggest suprise on the album for me.

10) Scorb is known for his crystal clear style and his contribution is the perfect way to wind down the album, the frogs have gone for a well deserved nap and we are led out of the forest on a bright and clear note, perfect for dawn. Beautiful soaring melodies and dreamy sounds capes clear away the fog, and soon the frogs will awaken to lick psychoactive dew from the leaves.

Conclusion

In my opinion this is one of the most interesting releases the last year had to offer. It comes across as a very well thought out piece of art, covering a wide variety of styles without committing to one. It is impossible to identify any tracks that drag the album down because the overall quality is so high, almost all tracks are excellent and original imho, and the album should appeal to a wide range of psy-listeners due to this.

10/10

• 2 months later...

This one went below the radar...ordered it today...this can't go wrong!