Dark emotional chillout

longloststar

So I occasionally send music to this friend of mine. He is into dark metal, folk metal and generally grim stuff like that. My success rate with him has been pretty terrible, and the only music that he has liked from me is

Phutureprimitive - Sub Conscious (Whole album)

Celtic Cross - Swazz, Mundis Imaginalus

from countless of great tracks. So I ask here for recommendations for tracks similar to those above, which I think can be characterized as some kind of darker chillout with a clear emotional/melodic touch.

Thanks

So I occasionally send music to this friend of mine. He is into dark metal, folk metal and generally grim stuff like that. My success rate with him has been pretty terrible, and the only music that he has liked from me is

Phutureprimitive - Sub Conscious (Whole album)

Celtic Cross - Swazz, Mundis Imaginalus

from countless of great tracks. So I ask here for recommendations for tracks similar to those above, which I think can be characterized as some kind of darker chillout with a clear emotional/melodic touch.

Thanks

Have you sent Carbon Based Lifeforms' MOS 6581 yet? Preferably the Fahrenheit comp version?

So I occasionally send music to this friend of mine. He is into ...... My success rate with him has been pretty terrible

hahaha, this is familiar

sorry, I have no music to recommend, I mostly give up altogether.

So I ask here for recommendations for tracks similar to those above, which I think can be characterized as some kind of darker chillout with a clear emotional/melodic touch.

Ulf Söderberg aka Sephiroth? Moody and emotional with plenty of northern/folky touch, field sounds and such. I spent quite a lot of time and money to get the original CDs, and they surely were worth it.

From pitch black ambient, try Plague Recordings, for example. They've released some good stuff recently. ATOI's and Wicked Messenger's latest are on my 2009 top list. I have made a few mixes of that style too. Available by request. Or find the dark ambient threads from the "other electronica" subforum. They're oozing with recommendations.

hahaha, this is familiar

sorry, I have no music to recommend, I mostly give up altogether.

Have been quite successful with other friends actually, converting a indie popper to a regular psyhead being my greatest pride :) You have to be very careful with the track choice though, starting with highly accessible stuff (Secede - Leraine is a good first track) and then going upwards on the ladder of psychedelicness.

Anyway, some interesting suggestions here, will try a couple of them out.

Have been quite successful with other friends actually, converting a indie popper to a regular psyhead being my greatest pride :) You have to be very careful with the track choice though, starting with highly accessible stuff (Secede - Leraine is a good first track) and then going upwards on the ladder of psychedelicness.

Anyway, some interesting suggestions here, will try a couple of them out.

I have had some success as well for sure, almost none with uptempo though.

Also psychedelic House/Techno fare much better than psytrance

I agree with being careful, but sometimes i feel half is just not gonna cut it with psychedelic.

CBL is one of the things that is both very psy and very easy to digest, but it's pretty rare.

Most annoying though, is that alottt of people don't even really listen to music, try to get them to really listen to a mix or album... so at least your friend is into something.

I would be totally surprised if he's not digging Asura, i'd also be surprised if you haven't tested that already. :)

Maybe Future Sound of London - My Kingdom?

What i'm absolutly convinced of is that he'll love (not psychill though) Dead Can Dance - Indus, this is not dark, it's totally black.

Actually there are many dark moods on Ambient Meditations 3.

Goes for the other Ambient Meditaions compilations aswell.

Derango - An Ancient Tale will work too i guess.

Have you tried Tracks from, or the whole "Midnight Soul Dive" compilation by Aleph Zero?

This is still my number one choice for Chillout that is introspective, rather dark and highly emotional.

It's not exactly like the tracks you've been successful with, but you should give it a try...

You probably have tried Hallucinogen in Dub, but if not, give it a shot. I cant decide whether i should consider it as really dark, but it sure is the most emotional psychedelic Dub Album out there...

Just how dark are you talking? Dark ambient dark?

Atrium Carceri, people screaming in mental institutions and prisons, kind of dark?

For a cold (not so dark as in horror but as in not warm and bright) please check out this mix if anything tickles your fancy the tracklist is right there.

• 2 weeks later...