The good stuff from 2010...

Sawfly

Massive Attacks new album is pretty great although some people seem to dislike it.

Diaphane - Samdhya is the solo album from one half of Ab Ovo and it's superior to Jérôme Chassagnards solo stuff.

Four Tet - There Is Love In You, for all the gay moments we all have now and then :wub:

Autechre - Oversteps is pure love B)

Architect's new album Consume Adapt Create is the best I've heard this year. I fell in love w/ I Went Out Shopping To Get Some Noise instantly when I heard it, The Analysis Of Noise Trading had its moments and Lower Lip Interface was a pretty big disappointment, but now mr. Myer is back on track again ^_^

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I agree, after two listens of the new Autechre I can surely agree it's sounding very nice indeed. And yes, more easy to handle than 2009 Quaristice.

I didn't care much for Quaristice. Amber, Tri Repetae, Draft 7.30 & Untilted are my favs so far B)

I have been a fan of Autechre for years. Pretty much everything they released from 2000 and beyond was harder and harder for the casual fan to enjoy. They really had developed their own version of IDM. It was difficult to get into, but once you did, you were rewarded for your patience with a universe of layers and sounds. Now with Oversteps, it is like they went about 5 steps backwards. I don't see it as progression - I see it as giving in to all the whiney fans who wanted more mellow and ambient songs like on their 90s albums. I'm disappointed to say the least.

I have been a fan of Autechre for years. Pretty much everything they released from 2000 and beyond was harder and harder for the casual fan to enjoy. They really had developed their own version of IDM. It was difficult to get into, but once you did, you were rewarded for your patience with a universe of layers and sounds. Now with Oversteps, it is like they went about 5 steps backwards. I don't see it as progression - I see it as giving in to all the whiney fans who wanted more mellow and ambient songs like on their 90s albums. I'm disappointed to say the least.

:)

I think if they had taken the abstraction of their sound one step further I would have found it too difficult to enjoy as well. I think the quality of their sound has improved a lot over the years (especially when compared to Amber and Incunabula) and that it's not a bad thing this album is somewhat more easily comprehensible.

I say: listen to the music itself as if it were fresh and brand new and don't try to judge it by comparing it to some sort of progression they should have continued, or something. No artist is supposed to do anything, if you ask me. But you don't really think they made this album for the fans that they lost 5 albums ago, do you? Honestly? My suspicion is that they made this because they like to. :)

lol I bumped the IDM thread with mentioned pretty much the albums you've posted already except Heligoland and Four Tet's album (which aren't really IDM anyway, at leach MA isn't).

Totally forgot about Four Tet's new album. It's not bad at all. And the rest of them are great as well. Here's for setting a good mood/precedent for this year. :)

SubtractiveLAD/SubtractiveLAD

ent/welcome stranger

Another Electronic Musician/States Of Space

MMX-compilation with Near the Parenthesis,Proem, Lights Out Asia, Bitcrush and Funckarma.[/font][/size][/size]

also the first released on 2010 for Tympanik Audio with Candle Nine/The Muse In The Machine is nice

SubtractiveLAD - Life At The End Of The World is great and V/A - MMX & Candle Nine - The Muse In The Machine are good too. Haven't given them that much listen, but I surely will B)

ent's Welcome Stranger was released 2009 on Preco Records and the re-release from n5MD is from '10 although it has some bonus tracks so... :)

Haven't heard Another Electronic Musician's new album yet.

e. The latest Funckarma dubstep EP is very good also -_-

e2. And of course Deru's Say Goodbye To Useless is one of the best albums I've heard in a while.. Check the video to

:wub:

• 1 month later...

I kinda liked Lowness - Undertow pretty much when I listened to it today for the first time.

Bitcrush - Of Embers was nice also, but I think he's kinda losing his touch .___.

Higuma - Den of the Spirits is pretty friggin' great B)

The new Vex'd album Cloud Seed is fukkin huge!

Try XI's EP Atmospheric Pressure for some great dubstep.

...and Access To Arasaka - ==null is good... naturally :D

What had I been listening to again?

Oh yeah, Gonjasufi - A Sufi And A Killer is quite the special album. Crookram - Through Windows is free and excellent. Jazzy, Bonobo-ish funky hiphoppy stuff. Recommended as well.

Jimi Hendrix' Valley of Neptunes is not at all bad for a new studio-album from an artist who's been dead for 40 years. Some old classics in a new coat (Red House kicks ass!) but some tracks are a bit too 'clean-sounding' for me. Otherwise it's very pleasing to my ears. :)

Last one for today: the first full length album from these dudes from my hometown: Noisia - Split the Atom!. Check it out, very varied and thought through drum 'n' bass influenced stuff. I'm off to buy it straight away.

SubtractiveLAD - Life At The End Of The World is great and V/A - MMX & Candle Nine - The Muse In The Machine are good too. Haven't given them that much listen, but I surely will B)

ent's Welcome Stranger was released 2009 on Preco Records and the re-release from n5MD is from '10 although it has some bonus tracks so... :)

Haven't heard Another Electronic Musician's new album yet.

e. The latest Funckarma dubstep EP is very good also -_-

e2. And of course Deru's Say Goodbye To Useless is one of the best albums I've heard in a while.. Check the video to

:wub:

I'm noticing we have very similar tastes in IDM. Picked up that Deru album yesterday, by your suggestion at UO. Also picked up a couple of Funckarma albums - I'm finding those guys really transcend the genre. Not sure how they keep putting out so much giant music on a regular basis.

I've been on a Boltfish kick for a couple of months now. Have you heard Zainetica's stuff? Sublime.

What had I been listening to again?

Oh yeah, Gonjasufi - A Sufi And A Killer is quite the special album. Crookram - Through Windows is free and excellent. Jazzy, Bonobo-ish funky hiphoppy stuff. Recommended as well.

Jimi Hendrix' Valley of Neptunes is not at all bad for a new studio-album from an artist who's been dead for 40 years. Some old classics in a new coat (Red House kicks ass!) but some tracks are a bit too 'clean-sounding' for me. Otherwise it's very pleasing to my ears. :)

Last one for today: the first full length album from these dudes from my hometown: Noisia - Split the Atom!. Check it out, very varied and thought through drum 'n' bass influenced stuff. I'm off to buy it straight away.

Gonjasufi's album is awesome! One of my favorites also:). I' ll add Mulatu Astatke's ''Mulatu Steps Ahead'' (jazz), ''Earthology" by the Whitefield Brothers (jazz funk) and ''Clutchy Hopkins - The Story Teller'' (instrumental hip-hop, trip-hop) B)

I'm noticing we have very similar tastes in IDM. Picked up that Deru album yesterday, by your suggestion at UO. Also picked up a couple of Funckarma albums - I'm finding those guys really transcend the genre. Not sure how they keep putting out so much giant music on a regular basis.

I've been on a Boltfish kick for a couple of months now. Have you heard Zainetica's stuff? Sublime.

I have a very extensive taste when it comes to IDM, I pretty much enjoy all kinds :) What Funckarma albums did you get?

Haven't heard Zainetica... Any recommendations?

Ginormous' The Sound Of Love Impermanent is what I expected (although I didn't enjoy his second album as much as his debut) and wow, what a journey :)

And for my amazement The Prayer Tree album didn't have Ab Ovo written all over it :D The vocals are going to need some getting use to, but it's a great album all the same.

I have a very extensive taste when it comes to IDM, I pretty much enjoy all kinds :) What Funckarma albums did you get?

Vell Vagranz

Bion Glent

Refurbished One and Two

Haven't heard Zainetica... Any recommendations?

Redirection and Soul Paradox.

Have it. Love it. I will eventually have their entire catalog. Amazing music.

I bought it when it came out and I didn't really care for it, but it's a good thing I didn't sell it or anything because it's one of my favourites from them now :)

I bought it when it came out and I didn't really care for it, but it's a good thing I didn't sell it or anything because it's one of my favourites from them now :)

Interesting. I've had a similar experience with that album and with Funckarma in general. The stuff definitely grows, which is, to me, always a sign of good music.

I don't know if you guys are much into instrumental hip-hop or not but... Flying Lotus came out with his third album the other day called Cosmogramma and what I've heard of it, it sounds fantastic.

I don't know if you guys are much into instrumental hip-hop or not but... Flying Lotus came out with his third album the other day called Cosmogramma and what I've heard of it, it sounds fantastic.

Yeah, quite experimental stuff and surely gonna be one of my favs this year (along with already too many albums) :)

Pfff, Cosmogramma is the worst work of Flying lotus. Give a listen to his previous releases and you will understand what i mean :)