Artha - Influencing Dreams

Guest antic

I'd be interested to know if you think the same of Disco Hooligan's albums, or the Anakoluth EP 'Beyond Reach', or the Zenon VA 'Sea of Vapors', or the Devils Mind VA 'Wasted Brigade'. Do they sound like OOOD too? Because I did nothing to Artha's music that I didn't try to do to these albums and EPs too.

Funny you mention that, because I wanted to call Disco Hooligans as another example but couldn't be bothered checking if it was you who mastered it (I'm at work). When I downloaded it couple of weeks ago not knowing what or who it was, after hearing the music I went on checking the info because I was sure it's another of your side projects! :)

Have not heard the others, so can't comment on that.

And just to make myself clear: I'm very far from saying you're not doing good job; quite the opposite - I love that chunky sound! But the "problem" (because it is not really a problem for me, merely an observation) is it is very characteristic and makes other artists sounding like OOOD/VoC.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And just to make myself clear: I'm very far from saying you're not doing good job; quite the opposite - I love that chunky sound! But the "problem" (because it is not really a problem for me, merely an observation) is it is very characteristic and makes other artists sounding like OOOD/VoC.

You think I should charge extra for this?

[E] Actually, now I think about it, it's quite a complement for my own music, because the two acts you've picked out as sounding 'like OOOD/VoC' when mastered are the ones that came to me with the best production - the clearest, punchiest, richest and most dynamic-sounding unmastered mixes. So basically you're saying that OOOD sounds as good as they do, rather than the other way round, and for that I thank you! Also I think you've perhaps finally discovered and identified what proper production and mastering sounds like on your music system ;):P

Guest antic

You think I should charge extra for this?

[E] Actually, now I think about it, it's quite a complement for my own music, because the two acts you've picked out as sounding 'like OOOD/VoC' when mastered are the ones that came to me with the best production - the clearest, punchiest, richest and most dynamic-sounding unmastered mixes. So basically you're saying that OOOD sounds as good as they do, rather than the other way round, and for that I thank you! Also I think you've perhaps finally discovered and identified what proper production and mastering sounds like on your music system ;):P

Without ass-kissing, when I think of post-millenium best upbeat goa/psy albums "We are free" and "Free Range" place themselves pretty high in the top-10, so yeah - there's something to it.

My other theory, is that your room which is supposedly 'best sounding room you ever heard/had' enforces certain techniques, that make everything you work on sound in a similar way. But if that's the case, you should patent your room ;):D

• 1 month later...

Very anticipated relase for sure, my only concern from listening to the new samples is that my ears hurts after listening, because the high end sound extremely sharp/harsch. It´s particularly noticeable on the leads.

I don´t know if this is something that occurred during the mastering process, or if the tracks had this exaggerated high end quality prior to that, and the mastering process perhaps accentuated the problem instead of reducing it. If I had to speculate I would assume that it is something that occurred during mastering, since Artha´s free live set releases didn´t sound like this. Just my small reflection on this, besides that I am really looking forward to this.

I am very, very impressed by the samples on the Cronomi site, I will get this album for sure, the first physical Goa CD I will buy (not everyone is here since the 90's). Great work Artha! I see the release has been delayed to April, the 30th though...

Now I just need an album from Artifact303 :-)