• Psy Trance mostly
    • Goa Trance only
    • Psy Trance only
    • Both equally

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on the week for me. some weeks it will be all psy, some all goa. I must say, i really do like the new school goa. Goasia is amazing.

I like psytrance, and the energy it has. There is, however, a lot of really crap psy out there. I'm really digging the twilight psytrance stuff.

I voted "goa mostly". I love the melodies and the feel, and most of what I listen to is pretty clearly on the "goa" side. I would get bored with the lack of variation in it if it were the only music I listened to, but since it's not I don't have a problem with that fact.

I try not to jump into these debates, but this one seems harmless.

I do think that "Goa" or maybe better described "Classic Era Psytrance" say from 1995-1999

just for a sample era, does have a very distinct sound. The melodies and repetition were sort of standardized during this time, and I think the label "Goa" probably most appropriately applies to this sound. Some of the classic Hallucinogen, Koxbox, Pleiadians, MFG, Etnica and so on fits this.

Newer stuff that tends to experiment, mix in new sounds, new samples, different BPM or drum beats have mixed up classic Psychedelic music into some newer categories of Psytrance.

Now we have some wider varieties of Psytrance ala Darkpsy, Progressive, Twilight, Fullon, Suomi

and so on - none of which I think sound anything like what most (or lots people) would call Goa.

To say they are the same thing or interchangeable I don't think works here. Goa definitely has its sound, and all the newer styles have theirs as well. Of course there is a new arsenal of producers and DJs making new records reproducing the old sound...

for example - E-Mantra, Filteria, Alienapia, Liquid Flow, SynSUN, Merr0w & PharaOM to name some.

I would personally classify these as distinctly "Goa" or new school Goa - and not a new classification of Psytrance.

I've been wrong about many things in my life, and maybe I am again here - this is my 2 cents.

In any case...

Here is where I think the poll is served best (or better)

"Do you prefer the classic style/sound of Goa or the newer breeds of Psytrance?"

Its all good music (well mostly :)

Keep dancing and PsyON - (btw my vote goes for Goa, but I listen to a ton of Psy too !)

604ever

I don't want to arouse any controversy, but goa trance is the particular sound of music and psytrance has much more variety. Form me Goa is kind of a subgenre of psy (of course with all the respect - everything we like was started by goa). The simpliest division of psy is for me:

- goa- this characteristic sound and construction

- some kind of full on

- dark - with all of it's subs (forest, horror, space, shamanic etc.)

- some kind of progressive

- chillout

Each square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square = goa is psy, but not all psy is goa.

well for me,i can say i love all kinds of music,specialy electronic dance music,and in electronic music i like listen to:

in the goa section i like the melodic side,& from the other hand the pure acidic 303 sounds...

about psytrance in general,well i prefer more clubby trancy melodic tunes stuff then psytrance.

thats why i like to listen to club trancy stuff like: above & beyond,armin,alex morph and etc...more then other psy-trance of today...cause i found that in this melodic trancy stuff there is much more melodic gentle touch,realy atmospehric but not to much psychedelic...

i can say when i was younger i was able to listen to more psychedelic stuff...but by the years my ears want to listen to the more soft melodic trancy stuff,with not to much psychedelic crazy stuff...

so at the end,i prefer goa trance(more the melodic stuff) & club trancy stuff more then what called psytrance of today.

the best example that i can give is this track,Oceanlab - On A Good Day (Above & Beyond Club Mix) [HD]

this kind of tunes i am totally like to hear:

thats why i like to listen to club trancy stuff like: above & beyond,armin,alex morph and etc...more then other psy-trance of today...cause i found that in this melodic trancy stuff there is much more melodic gentle touch,realy atmospehric but not to much psychedelic...

the best example that i can give is this track,Oceanlab - On A Good Day (Above & Beyond Club Mix) [HD]

this kind of tunes i am totally like to hear:

+100, I love Above and Beyond and they deserve all of the props they can get. Alot of talent come from those guys and their label Anjunabeats.

The whole debate about psytrance versus Goatrance is pointless as those two "genres" basically originate from the same source and melted together from day one. You even visit a community called "Psynews" - not Goanews ;)

This site was originally called "goatrance.free.fr," Kristian.

The funny part is you guys take things way too personal. Lighten up a little :)

Yeah, and you suck at being wrong all the time. Every now and then it would serve you well to just say you're sorry and that you misunderstood. Otherwise, STFU when the adults are talking.

Some of you here have great knowledge of this genre of music and I appreciate visiting to gain a bit of insight for future album purchases.

Music aside, many of the words and attitudes that are being thrown around in this thread and beyond smell like shit.

Whether someone is out of line, or wrong, or bringing it onto themselves, you, by responding with petty immaturity and ill-directed force, end up insulting and betraying yourself and (thankfully) displaying the evolutionary stage and/or quality of your own mind/heart/being/personality etc.

The weak-minded often tend to band together and they usually deserve one another.

This post will most likely fall on deaf ears and I welcome any flaming etc with open arms, baby! Posted Image

Each square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square = goa is psy, but not all psy is goa.

This is how I have it in mind too.

But when someone says Goa I'm thinking a pure Goa track and when someone says Psy I tend to think something more psychedlic and less Goa-ish. :D

So in my mind I tend to divide those two genres, beside the fact that I believe that goa is psy, but not all psy is goa.

Yeah, and you suck at being wrong all the time. Every now and then it would serve you well to just say you're sorry and that you misunderstood. Otherwise, STFU when the adults are talking.

Why should I say sorry when all I did was making a comment that was non-personal (a comment that was proved valid looking at where the debate went after my comment)? Compared to your offensive way of talking to me I think the only one who should be more polite and apologize is you! But I wont tell you to STFU as I believe in people's right to express themselves.

Why should I say sorry when all I did was making a comment that was non-personal (a comment that was proved valid looking at where the debate went after my comment)? Compared to your offensive way of talking to me I think the only one who should be more polite and apologize is you! But I wont tell you to STFU as I believe in people's right to express themselves.

Yeah, sorry, Kristian. I was being a dick last night across the board. Not just here. I have to learn how to keep my thoughts to myself.

I'm sorry for being so intense. I shouldn't impose behavioural values onto others. Everyone learns in their own time and way, who am I to call the shots.

I was just trying to balance the thread out a little.

Jon

If I listened to Goa exclusively I'd get a bit tired of some repetitive elements. If I listened to Psy exclusively I'd miss the melodies that Goa provides.

This, pretty much. I would extend it far beyond just Psy or even electronic music though. I'd get very bored only listening to a single genre of music. Even with "non-goa" psy I usually like there to be some kind of melody though, even if it's just a simple melody with heavy effects. There's a lot of Psytrance with melodies that I wouldn't consider "goa".

Not that the name of the genre is really that important. You can call it whatever you want, if it sounds good to me, I'll like it.

if it sounds good to me, I'll like it.

Amen to that.

Can we drop all the freaking drama and like what we like already? (Of course some of you are incapable, as has been proven, but the question is worth asking)

The Psy scene is so filled with jerkoffs and trolls fighting in the forums about this and that - it makes me wanna stop listening.

For Pete's sake people - just listen to music and stop waring over what to call it.

Sheesh...

Ok I'm finished <end paroxysm>

Amen to that.

Can we drop all the freaking drama and like what we like already? (Of course some of you are incapable, as has been proven, but the question is worth asking)

The Psy scene is so filled with jerkoffs and trolls fighting in the forums about this and that - it makes me wanna stop listening.

For Pete's sake people - just listen to music and stop waring over what to call it.

Sheesh...

Ok I'm finished <end paroxysm>

Dude, I think more often than not these admittedly useless discussions (not including the insulting arguing parts) are the result of random musings that someone is bored enough to post. As Ormion said in the first post, it was just a dumb, fun poll. People who are passionate about the things they like enjoy talking about them.

Dude, I think more often than not these admittedly useless discussions (not including the insulting arguing parts) are the result of random musings that someone is bored enough to post. As Ormion said in the first post, it was just a dumb, fun poll. People who are passionate about the things they like enjoy talking about them.

I agree.. drama, I don't really see that! (well a wee bit, but nothing too serious). Other than that it's only nerds having some fun, having the endless discussions, perfectly normal :D and how it should be!

Yeah, people, stop the drama and the arguing and accept the universal truth that Progressive music is simply the best, beating Goa AND Psy!

Muahahaha :lol:

(That was a joke, mmmkay? But seriously, don't worsen the troubles that music off the mainstream has by quarreling, doesn't bring you anywhere.)

Yeah, people, stop the drama and the arguing and accept the universal truth that Progressive music is simply the best, beating Goa AND Psy!

Muahahaha :lol:

i see progressive as part of psy which as a whole is incredibly inferior to goa trance! ;)

(although i must admit that progressive is the best subgenre of (non-goa-)psy )

voted goa only, although i like a lot of psy too. but at home i have listened almost exclusively to goa for years and still vastly prefer it to psy and have never gotten bored with it. i find there's much more variety in goa than in psy (which includes progressive,fullon and darkpsy). (attention: exaggeration!) fullon or darkpsy is almost like different remixes of the same track all over to me.