Alienapia - Goapocalipsis

ion1zed

I can understand that since you went for the psykovsky release, which is a substantially different style. I don't own this album myself but I was rather impressed with dharmakaya. Maybe you need to give it another chance? I also disagree with describing their style as generic neo-goa from what I have heard of them. It's much darker, and actually exactly how penzoline described the atmosphere. Maybe going for a psykovsky album and then buying this didn't really do it justice? Expectations and such.

I agree. This album is the exact opposite of generic neogoa. it's dark, agressive and metallic.

It's simply awesome!

I can understand that since you went for the psykovsky release, which is a substantially different style. I don't own this album myself but I was rather impressed with dharmakaya. Maybe you need to give it another chance? I also disagree with describing their style as generic neo-goa from what I have heard of them. It's much darker, and actually exactly how penzoline described the atmosphere. Maybe going for a psykovsky album and then buying this didn't really do it justice? Expectations and such.

I have listened to it few times. While driving, while in room, during smoking session with friends, while using the internet but the music just sounds too simple. How I also judge music is to see how it will sound on the dance floor, but this feels may be not loud enough for the dance floor.

The expectation for something similar to something Psykovsky was not there. I also bought some old progressive cd and even Joujouka cd at the same time which I have enjoyed more.

This cd for me just sounds like any one trying to make Goa trance now, but missing the magical part of it.

May be I did have high expectations after reading the reviews here in psynews.

And also having a Ra remix in the cd reminded how good RA's last album was!!

• 2 months later...

Posted Image

Artist: Alienapia

Title: Goapocalipsis

Label: Space Baby Records

Date: February, 2010

1. Distinctive Perception

2. Dharmakaya

3. Estimate of standing crop

4. High Visual Philosophy

5. Inner Poison

6. Magic Magnification

7. Fear and anger - Alienapia Vs. Psy-H

8. Reign of madness (Alienapia rmx) - Ra

9. Misterika Island - Alienapia Vs. Agneton

10. Remnant

Space Baby Records is a label out of the Ukraine which is fairly new. To date they have had 7 releases including Forest Trip by Kyoto (which I reviewed) as well as the Magic Dew compilation (also reviewed) and that was a great mix of psytrance and goa. Here we have the boys from Zymosis...waitaminute...aren't they a downtempo project? Give me a sec...yep, they released a downtempo album called Fragments. So they apparently also do some goa trance. As a lover of pretty much all things goa, I had to check this out. As all of you know goa trance is in the middle of quite the resurgence with release coming out all the time. My question is this...is new school goa the new full-on, ripe for bashing? You know the drill, someone does something and you love it, then before you know it everyone and their mother copies it, diluting the product until it was a mere shell of what it once was. Pretty soon you end up with something like this:

Posted Image

*shudder*

Here the boys from Zymo...Alienapia give you 10 tracks two of which are an intro and an outro, and 3 tracks available on other goa compilations. So...5 new tracks? Interesting...

Distinctive Perception- This is the intro and right off the bat there is a mixture of outer space feeling and mysticism. It's a breakbeat with a goa melody and let me tell you, it is just getting warmed up...

Dharmakaya- This track is also available on the Alternative Colours compilation. It is driving with screaming leads and has a scrambling bassline that keeps going into the break. A high pitched twinkling melody becomes more elaborate and the signature of this track I believe. The melodies continue to spiral upward into atmospheric bliss.

Estimate of standing crop- A nice chant has me staring at the stars as dusk arrives while I sit in a Buddhist temple in the Himalayas. This is dark revealing the brutality of man. As melodies unfold a pounding bass note thunders and the layering gets thick. The break reinforces the spiritual nature by adding whizzing and whirling sounds. The melody wails amidst melancholy strings creating a tremendous atmosphere. Superb storytelling here!

High Visual Philosophy- This track was also on the Magic Dew compilation. Ethnic clanking opens the door for scrambling melodies as they become filtered and twisted. A staggered acidic lead drops in and briefly changes the tempo; didn't see that coming. I mean I did, because I have heard it before, but you know what I mean. The break sees more sounds reach skyward as another synth uncoils revealing it's dirty nature. While not as dark or vivid as the previous track it is no less furious. Awesome!

Inner Poison- This track is also found on the Goatronika compilation...I see his their genius. Reviewers like me point this out and that is free mass marketing of other goa trance releases! They do it for the music! Hmmmm...mass marketing? How many people read this...5? 10? Don't care, that's not why I do this. This one is liquid, dripping with melody and also quite dark. The melodies swirl together then become louder as the track reaches its crescendo. Once combined it is pure goa trance magic. Superb!

Magic Magnification- Like a flower with high speed photography this one opens up with a driving beat and melody. 303's tear holes in the dark reality so massive that time itself cannot support the change. Unrelenting leads prop up floating pads right into a well deserved break. The difference between the track at full speed and the break is jarring but beautiful to hear. Skittering droplets of atmosphere dance over a breakbeat as the track resumes. Another great effort!

Fear and anger- A Russian vocal sample sets the mood as if I were in the movie Hostel. Dark, dank, and dripping with regret. An ethereal melody composed of mournful wishes sprints frantically heavenward. It's dizzying. Sounds from the past scramble and you can hear the Hallucinogen influence. With great atmosphere and ripping leads you can taste the psychedelia as sure as you put that little stamp on your tongue. I don't know what was said in Russian, but I think it was fairly evil. Holy crap that was good.

Reign of madness (Alienapia rmx)- The balls on these guys remixing one of the classics...Filtered synths roam the terrain of the mind, bubbling as if you could see each individual water droplet in a waterfall. Melancholy strings mask the fury and mystery behind the ritual you are witnessing. Big beats, scattered and scarred synths rage as 303's sear the skin on your body. F@#%ing fantastic.

Misterika Island- "I have found the bridge that spans two worlds...the link between all souls by which we cross into our own true nature."

What.The.F@#$? I want what he is having. You know that when you get an Agneton track that the psychedelic Nitzho-goa will fly. Bingo, a rapid melody gets you right here while the ringing kick blasts among the hi-hats. It is so groovy that you really cannot comprehend it until you hear it. I'd swear it was done on turntables. The break revives the opening melodic theme and if images of the Middle East don't pop in your head...More arcing melodies twist and turn their way through the wormhole soaking you with a feeling that warms the soul. F#$%!

Remnant- The outro that lets you see where you are and reflect on where you have been. A sad flute whispers above dreamy pads beckoning you to return just as the door slams shut.

Wow. Get.This.Now. Period.

Mdk

• 5 months later...

I'm pleased to see so much enthusiasm for this record. I have recently listened to it myself (quite a few times, actually!) and I think it is absolutely wonderful. The Dharmakaya track is definitely a stunner, but the beat and rhythm in Magic Magnification is above that (my opinion). Truly a remarkable release, I cannot wait for the follow-up!

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh...I still listen to this one on such a regular basis. Whenever there's a new release in the "Neo-Goa" genre, I have to compare it to this one, and I have to say that none matches Goapocalipsis' quality.

No other act has the energy, the darker approach, the super-acidic atmosphere, the sci-fi (Cybernetika does a different kind of psy) setting...it's just magnificient and I can't wait for the next releases by this outstanding duo.

By the way, this is your best review, Trance2MoveU.

The fact that you didn't use your gif-attacks just reflects the serious badass quality of this album ;)

Thank you Ionized...I think :)

The gifs served a purpose. As I have mentioned many times before, I used them to spice up boring text. As far as I know it hadn't been done before and it seemed to awaken some interest in the review section which was severely lacking. Whether you loved it or hated it, you noticed it. I just tried to entertain and make people laugh. Hmmm...maybe I should do a poll and see what the people want?

But this ain't about me, it's about this glorious piece of musical art which we have the privilege to enjoy over and over again.

Mdk

• 1 year later...

Gaah. Too much compression. I don´t know if it´s the mastering or mixing. My ears hurt!

Otherwise it´s good.

Could have been perfect though. I´ve had much anticipations for this since I really like the Zymosis-project... sad.gif

I have to agree. Another example of masterpiece destroyed by... amateur mastering?

• 1 year later...

This album is so badass. After all 3 years of almost weekly listens, I still keep coming back for more. Headphones on, eyes closed, paralyzed by the acid...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Very unfortunate there hasn't been a sequel. It's been 6 years already!

I know...

In some ways, it might be a good thing. It's hard to imagine anything improving on this. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though, if the alienapia guys are out there reading this.