Lost Season 6

Lemmiwinks

Posted Image

LOOOOL actually that makes a LOT more sense than most of the official Lost "explanations" ;) I remember when I was seeing the 2nd series I was toying with the idea that the whole island stuff was just Hugo's demented dilusions and that in the end he'd wake up back in the mental institution and realize that none of it was real :)

^Hahahaha.

Just in case someone hasn't season the finale yet, I'll wrap it in spoilertags.

Doesn't any single one of you who liked 'The End' hate the effect that none of the seemingly big and important mysteries were revealed? I just found this parallel limbo-situation so incredibly lame...

And also:

Why the Egyptian stuff? Why did the transfer of power from the mother (who was she anyway? And who was his real mother? What was that all about? Why were there 'rules'? How could Jakob leave the island to make people come there?) to Jakob have to be so ritual and in Latin and with wine? And when he transfered it to Jack it was ok with some mumbling and some water? And then all the way to Hugo with some muddy stuff and no sayings whatsoever? Why the polar bears? Why the pregnancy bullshit? Why did they steal Clare's child? Whatever happened to Walt who supposedly had really important powers? Why the hell did Desmond have to keep pressing all those numbers in the hatch? And WHY did a goddamn Atom Bomb go off and detonate the island, but all that happened was some weird timetravelling? Hadn't the island sunk in the end of season 5?

Oh yeah, why would the smoke-monster leaving the island be so bad? Everybody just kept repeating that, but in the episode where they explained his origins, he was just a little boy cheated by his mother and others around him. Not quite 'evil incarnate'.

Seriously, even if they didn't explain what the island represented or what it was, it still would've been nice to tie some ends... instead they just left the whole thing completely open. And also the fact that there was some really small group of people who all desperately needed to find each other (like there were no other people in their lives [especially for those who did indeed manage to leave the island] but found some of the series' characters completely redundant... etc.

Anyway. I just read a nice interpretation on IMDB on what the final series was supposed to represent and I kinda like that, but still, you can't base your whole series on all these mysteries and then leave most of them unclarified. Didn't work for me. :(

look mate just look at it this way: was this the best series EVER or not? And if not, then what would it be? It's as simple as that...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look mate just look at it this way: was this the best series EVER or not? And if not, then what would it be? It's as simple as that...

No, not really. It was entertaining while it lasted (and lasted and lasted...) but personally I don't really feel satisfied at all. Sure, everybody now says that the series was about the characters, but come on: a huge part of Lost was about the mystery and the promise that any sense could be made in the end. And in the end, we are none the wiser about almost anything.

Even the ending of Twin Peaks or The Sopranos made more sense to me (and I consider both much 'better' (subjective of course) series as well).

And in the end, we are none the wiser about almost anything.

I rarely get to the point of tears over any kind of show, but the Lost finale drove me there, multiple times. It was phenomenal to see the series wrapped up the way that it was, and the spiritual connections it drew from religions across the planet. That was really the biggest thing to me, was the expression that no matter what you believe, when you die what it comes down to is those who you spent the most important times with, and the show encouraged us all to build those and make ourselves better in doing so. That is the most inspirational thing JJ possible could have done to end the series, trumping any kind of Star Trek-esque explanations they could have come up with for the inexplicable phenomena throughout the series.

My two and a half cents...

No, not really. It was entertaining while it lasted (and lasted and lasted...) And in the end, we are none the wiser about almost anything.

sorry but I disagree... sure, a LOT of mysteries were left unanswered but the final answer - what is the island and why did the Oceanic flight crash there was pretty convincing to me. But of course I guess that in the end it's all subjective, if you prefer to see an ending where the main carchter smashes his face in a mirror and says "How's Annie?" repeatedly (like WTF what THAT supposed to explain? lol) then fine by me :P

Hahahahaha. True.

Okay, opinions diverge widely over this matter and that's also a good thing, but I have no clue what the island really was (care the share your opinion?) in the end... I'd be curious to know what you think.

Hahahahaha. True.

Okay, opinions diverge widely over this matter and that's also a good thing, but I have no clue what the island really was (care the share your opinion?) in the end... I'd be curious to know what you think.

Well, that seemed pretty self-explanatory to me: it was a place where an important source of energy was hidden. Jacob's role was to protect the source from being used by humans in a destructive manner and he was also searching someone worthy to be his replacement which is why he constantly brang people on the island to test them. OK, I know that when you REALLY think of it there are a million untied side stories and plot holes but still, if you just look at the big picture it's pretty convincing IMO.

I was quite disappointed with it actually. Since it is an American series and the US tends to be a very christian country, I was expecting some kind of a "godly" end to it and I don't really even mind. It's just that it seemed kind of tacked on. It wasn't really an ending. I didn't even need all the mysteries to be solved. It was just like when you were a kid and the family dog died and your parents told you that the dog had just moved out to live on a farm where he is happy now. No matter how many horrors the people suffered on the island, it's ok because they're happy now in the magical La-La Land where it's all bunnies and cotton candy for everyone. The producers are really saying "We couldn't actually think of a good ending so here's this sappy feel good moment instead". It's the old proven trick of solving all mysteries: "God did it, so don't ask any questions". I don't see how this is an end to their adventure at all. Can't you go to heaven without going to a magical island? You could have had a tv-series about a bunch of accountants balancing budgets and you still could have had a similar ending where they go to a happy place where your company is always in the black and there are no IRS agents to bother you. On the other hand... The moment when the plane takes off and carries some of the people off the island might have been a great ending... if they hadn't already done it before. Instead of feeling "Whopee! They got off the island!" you just go "Meh. So, are they finally gone or are they going to come back LIKE THE LAST TIME THEY GOT OFF THE FRICKING ISLAND?!?"

It's fine if a series or a movie leaves some open questions making you think "Hmmm, I wonder what they meant by that". It's not ok if it leaves you with a feeling that the writers themselves didn't know what the hell they were doing. This patronizing deus ex machina ending is just the writers going "none of it matters because they're happy now". They've also made a case for why all the previous seasons didn't really matter either.

It's fine if a series or a movie leaves some open questions making you think "Hmmm, I wonder what they meant by that". It's not ok if it leaves you with a feeling that the writers themselves didn't know what the hell they were doing. This patronizing deus ex machina ending is just the writers going "none of it matters because they're happy now". They've also made a case for why all the previous seasons didn't really matter either.

hehehehe well I guess it's all a matter of seeing the glass half empty or half full. For me, the ending made me apreciate my friends and family more, it made me want to show them I love them now cause you never know what might happen tomorrow. In the end I feel that much more important than giving some pseudo-scientific explanations to a chain of events that can't really be explained anyway.

I think they actually tried to explain too much. They weren't content in just wrapping up the stories of the people who were still alive, but they had to come up with this ending where the characters, even the ones that have been dead for who knows how long, all come together for this final contrived love-fest. Even some of the revelations about the island's history with jacob etc. was a bit too much. All they had to do was to wrap up the people's story in a convincing way and simply leave some of the stuff unexplained. Now they went:

Hurry, hurry! We must wrap everything up! Quickly, come up with a shoddy explanation for the island that totally destroys the mystery! How about: "There's a glowing hole in the ground and that's what's causing everything"? Yes, that's good enough! Amazingly sufficient! Mind-bogglingly tolerable! Ok! Moving on, moving on! We're on a deadline here people! How do we wrap up the stories of the people? I think last time we all agreed that Billy's idea of time traveling dinosaurs who come and eat everyone was too stupid even for this show. Any good ideas? No? Ok... any unexceptional ideas? What's that? Some of the people get off the island? Yeah ok, but that will still leave some of the viewers feeling sad about the people who didn't get out, not to meantion the people who died. Any ideas? Anything? Come on, the producers are going to have my ass if we don't come up with something! Nothing? OH FUCK IT THEN! "THEY ALL DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN! THE END!" There! So... who wants to get drunk?

I think they actually tried to explain too much. They weren't content in just wrapping up the stories of the people who were still alive, but they had to come up with this ending where the characters, even the ones that have been dead for who knows how long, all come together for this final contrived love-fest. Even some of the revelations about the island's history with jacob etc. was a bit too much. All they had to do was to wrap up the people's story in a convincing way and simply leave some of the stuff unexplained. Now they went:

Hurry, hurry! We must wrap everything up! Quickly, come up with a shoddy explanation for the island that totally destroys the mystery! How about: "There's a glowing hole in the ground and that's what's causing everything"? Yes, that's good enough! Amazingly sufficient! Mind-bogglingly tolerable! Ok! Moving on, moving on! We're on a deadline here people! How do we wrap up the stories of the people? I think last time we all agreed that Billy's idea of time traveling dinosaurs who come and eat everyone was too stupid even for this show. Any good ideas? No? Ok... any unexceptional ideas? What's that? Some of the people get off the island? Yeah ok, but that will still leave some of the viewers feeling sad about the people who didn't get out, not to meantion the people who died. Any ideas? Anything? Come on, the producers are going to have my ass if we don't come up with something! Nothing? OH FUCK IT THEN! "THEY ALL DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN! THE END!" There! So... who wants to get drunk?

hehehe you have a point there :) Although they didn't all die and go to heaven, it was more of an imaginary space where the living could meet the dead, and the people still on the island could meet the ones that went back (at least that's how I understood it). And yeah, the dinosaur ending would've been cool I mean after all, we already had mutant polar bears ;)

hehehe you have a point there :) Although they didn't all die and go to heaven, it was more of an imaginary space where the living could meet the dead, and the people still on the island could meet the ones that went back (at least that's how I understood it). And yeah, the dinosaur ending would've been cool I mean after all, we already had mutant polar bears ;)

I don't think there were any living people there. It was a place outside of time so that even though the people died at different times they went to that place at the same time. Hurley and Ben for example seemed to have memories of the time after the events of the series and it seemed they had also lived out their lives. They had just lived longer than some of the others. Hurley said to Ben something like "You were a great #2", which would imply they had gone on living on the island after the others left. Whether the place at the end was heaven or a place you go before going to heaven, I think it was clear that the people were all (by that point) dead.

I don't think there were any living people there. It was a place outside of time so that even though the people died at different times they went to that place at the same time. Hurley and Ben for example seemed to have memories of the time after the events of the series and it seemed they had also lived out their lives. They had just lived longer than some of the others. Hurley said to Ben something like "You were a great #2", which would imply they had gone on living on the island after the others left. Whether the place at the end was heaven or a place you go before going to heaven, I think it was clear that the people were all (by that point) dead.

Sorry guys, I'm with Kiph here.

And yeah, they were most definitely all in a purgatory of sorts. Dead.

well blimey I didn't see it that way... so that would mean that Hurley was dead too? motherfuckers...