7. Halkidiki

DAY.DIN

8. A place to be real

DAY.DIN

9. Lost in translation

NORDLIGHT

10. Tierra Azul (Nordlight rmx)

VIBRASPHERE

German label Spintwist Records have quite busy this year putting out numerous CD releases as well as some digital media. Day.Din is Deniz Aydin who is also the other half of Nordlight. This is his 3rd full length release if you count the album of unreleaseds. He is a progressive trance guy and this is my first experience with one of his albums. I really like the cover of this CD. It's a black and white image of a mannequin staring thoughtfully off into space, perhaps pondering what might be. His sound could be described as wide open, with great groove and well-placed effects.

I am here to tell you that this album is packed with ass shaking dynamite. All of the tracks have a mysterious feel about them. What I mean by that is that they are not happy, but neither are they dark. This occupies some middle ground where, like the mannequin on the cover, you can look off into the distance and imagine. "Carnival in Xanthi" is loaded with danceable bass rhythm and also has nice pads giving the track a pensive feel. The break on "Theory of Mind" is outstandingly rich with its delayed effects and smooth stings. Very heavenly. The "Using Light" remix is a groovy monster, with nice atmospheric pads. "Haldiki" is a massive track that storms forward without asking. Great rhythm and delicious effects. "Lost In Translation" is an absoulute delight in downtempo goodness, seeming to take a page from Solar Fields with their glitchy samples. The percussion and staccato synths allow the track to appear as fluid as water. The dubby remix of "Tierra Azul" is sublime, allowing the listener to melt into their surroundings like a soft summer rain on the Earth. Some would cry foul for including this Nordlight track (released on their album "A Deep Dive") on a Day.Din album, but I'm not one of them.

That is not to say it is without its trouble spots. "Dance With Me" contains a vocal sample that is overused, bordering on annoying. But the effects and the synths are nice enough to almost make it almost a non-factor. Almost. "A Place To Be Real" has a detuned vocal that really doesn't do anything for me. But even with that minor hiccup, the music is good enough to make the bad part much less noticeable.

So what you get is a very good effort. One of the things I really liked is the length of the tracks. Sometimes lengths get out of control as if the artist was trying to create the next big epic. Most here are long enough to enjoy without becoming a tiresome burden. It's a great album, full of danceable beats for the dancer and also great for the one who likes to ponder life's mysteries. Home listening was a joy, but I imagine this would also work well as part of a Dj's set. Ending the album with two downbeat numbers was a good move as they were superb. Besides, it is always good to put a Vibrasphere track on your album. Especially one as good as this one. Don't sleep on this.

Psyshop

Mdk