6. Mission Hard vs Soft

ZYCE AND FOX

7. Can't stop it

UNSEEN DIMENSIONS

8. Just makes me go

KALIMAX

9. Love Effect

BRISKER AND MAGITMAN

Austrian label Synergetic Records did such a great job with their compilation "Synergy" that I had to check this out. We get 9 tracks compiled by Ovnimoon, who incidentally released his fourth album the awesome "Geometric Poetry." They are all in the progressive style with some really big names. The cover is of an island forest reflected in a lake at dusk. Very relaxing.

Next (aka Midimal) starts off with an all encompassing track. Rich melody and wide open beauty. It goes down nice and easy. Ectima's two fingers felt a little thin and didn't deliver the goods. Not a lot of melody or storytelling. "Moon Mystery" by Jey & Ex seemed to drag on without a lot of direction. No twists or turns and kind of boring. The El Zisco remix of Ovnimoon's "Turn Off the Light" has thick house influences from the chopped up synth to the breathless female vocal. It's not terrible, just not a lot to it. "Final Steps" by Protonica (haven't heard his album Search yet) is an effect laden trip across the galaxy. Smooth and trance inducing with a cold and eerie break. Not a lot to this one either, but the great placement of effects and synth work really pull you in.

The vibrating synthline in the Zyce & Fox track "Mission Hard and Soft" is massive, giving way to a dancing lead, but periodically returning and morphing. I wish it could have stayed longer, but it didn't. Decent track. Mexican Unseen Dimensions has produced smashes on compilations like "Archive 9", "Carrots & Stick", and "Pathfinder." Javier is also the guy behind psytrance project Twilight. His album "Angel's Calling" was really good. This guy just has that knack to make an interesting and involving track. No exception here. Kalimax produces a decent track, but it is sparse on layers. I couldn't get into it. We end this ride with Israeli progressive house duo Brisker and Magitman who seem to have tracks on every compilation ever made. House beat? Check. Filthy bass? Check. Pristine melody with heaps of groove? Check.

This was pretty good. I love compilations because they are the best way to discover new artists. I know I will be looking at Brisker and Magitman a little more closely. There are some great tracks here and some filler. That's ok, they cannot all be homeruns. Standouts for me were tracks 1,5,6,7, and 9. Good groovy and melodic progressive. Recommended.

Psyshop

Mdk