Jon Cocco

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't find the story weak. I found it simple, which is not bad IMO.

And compared with other 'for the masses' blockbusters like Transformers the story was surprisingly more clever.

I didn't think the story was weak. It was good, and the guy not having legs gave me more appreciation to see the look on his face once he got legs via his Avatar, more so than when Peter Parker got his abilities in Spider-Man. Because the guy in Avatar was paralyzed. So much took place that in Avatar that was interesting, developed, and thoughtful. The whole military backdrop felt extremely present with the world today, and the CGI animation was the best I've seen yet in a film. But the story was well done, in my opinion. A few reviewers have criticized the story, possibly in part because Cameron sets the bar so high visually, that are groundbreaking. But my friends and I loved the whole film. It really wouldn't be a great film IMO if the story, script sucked.

"Strong visuals, weak story" is what the general consensus was with the Transformers sequel. I generally don't care for films with all sensation, no (or weak) story or substance, which is why I haven't seen the sequel to Transformers yet. I feel that The (first) Matrix had a good story, but amazing visuals (in its time) too. So I would compare Avatar to The Matrix in that regard, a great film overall. Both films are so different, save the essential "free your mind" theme I suppose, which was less subtle in The Matrix.

Well... saw the movie a couple nights ago. I gotta say, I didn't get the whole "best movie I've seen at the theater in a long time" feel, for me I got that with the Tarantino/Rodriguez double feature Grindhouse :)

At the same time, I thought the visuals were indeed groundbreaking, and that an alien planet has never been so realistically and beautifully rendered before. The 3d really made some scenes come alive, though felt very unnecessary during dialogue between the characters and other slow scenes. Would probably give it an 8/10 overall if I had to rate it, with my favorite part being the conversation between Jake Sully and the Spirit/Soul Tree towards the end of the movie (I was really sad when he talked about how we already killed the Spirit Tree here in our homeland :( )

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one that thinks the CG just looks shit?

I mean it doesn't for one minute look like I am watching live action here but something more along the line of CG animation (Toy Story etc) I can't see what is so groundbreaking here. It just looks like poor Disney graphics. Much less compelling than even the Final Fantasy CG.

Wow, just wow. Having watched the Final Fantasy movie when it came out, and thinking - well this is good, but it still looks like some weird CG adaptation of what a natural organic lifeforms look like to my eyes - compared to the stunning magnificence that is Avatar, I think you have to be the only one. I'm not sure where your bias is coming from, but even just comparatively this movie isn't even in the same league as every other CG animation ever created to date, period.

On another note, this movie is splendiferous. I went in actually thinking, this movie isn't going to be very good, and I had quite a bias myself against 3D CG, and it just blew my expectations into the cosmos. I was so stunned by this movie, that it restored a bit of my faith in the movie industry. What a beautiful musical score too Mr. Horner!! I go to movies (and VERY few at that) to be entertained, stunned, encapsulated, and lost in whatever world I'm thrown into. If the movie doesn't grip and demand my attention that way, it's not good. This movie not only was visually jaw-dropping, but it had a very magical and yet somewhat tangible and believable aspect to it. Who cares what plot similarities it has with other movies (which movies don't these days?), what formulaic patterns it followed, what practicabilities it had - doesn't matter. In fact, the less you think of that and focus on the present moment, the more you'll enjoy movies and life in general.

Must see, beyond any doubt.

Avatar - thank you for allowing me to escape into a non drug-induced blissful dream.

I just came back from watching it, and I liked it. As many have said, the imagery is great, but the story is kind of cliche very Hollywood style, but I guess we all knew that from the begginig, what else can be expected from the director of Titanic?

I would love to live in Pandora, such a beatiful place!! though I don't want to imagine how annoying, a glowing mosquito, would be trying to suck my blood at night time. Posted ImagePosted Image

I would love to live in Pandora, such a beatiful place!! though I don't want to imagine how annoying, a glowing mosquito, would be trying to suck my blood at night time. Posted ImagePosted Image

Well... you should be happy if it was glowing! Much easier to get rid of.. I'm mean u actually would be able to see what u were slapping :lol: and with out having to turn on the light and find the bastard!

I went see Avata for the 2nd time yesterday.. well had to see it in IMAX, and first time I was sitting too far from the screen to be really drawn into the 3D stuff... And it was as visually stunning (and more) than the first time, I had more "time" to really take in the details.. man it must have taken some man-hours to finish!

With so much attention to detail I still don't get the flux votex, why does some thinks float (the mountains) the rest not?! Waater still falling (water falls), stone falls, people fall I mean that just seem rather stupid?! Never the less it looks nice :D

With regard to the story... this is how it always is, it should not surprise anyone that the story of a Hollywood production of this size has to stay within a "simple" frame. It's always like this, to ensure that the majority of people (in the world) somehow can relate (and will pay to watch it). And I must say it has been done a lot worse (War of the Worlds, Titanic, AI, etc.) before! An updated Pochahontas, yes, but I think it still has meaning! We can still see human greed and relate to that (as when colonist took over the Americas), so it could have been a lot worse, like Pinocio or something?! :o But this doesn't mean I would not have loved a ground-breaking storyline, but it just doesn't happen, not in Hollywood! And would also have liked if the "aliens" actually acted like aliens and not just as "blue Indians" (as in native American Indians)...

DISNEY TRIPPING OUT ON LSD, GIVING BIRTH TO BASTARD CHILD OF TERMINATOR AND POCAHONTAS.

But nevertheless, visually impressive, thrilling ride in 3D World, if only he hasn't used every single clichee every 5 minutes through the whole film. 5/10

Jeez! One of the most overrated, overhyped films I've ever seen. The story was weak, predictable and FUCKING cheesy. When they flew around on those dragon-like creatures the womit was immenent. I really can't understand how this movie got so good word of mouth going. Some of my friends says it one of the best movie they've seen, and fine by me, but I can't understand it. It's really a shame that a shitty movie with a boring story has such amazing CGI, for that, I give it credit. 75% of the movie consisted of the main characters gaying it up in the forest. Boring! More action(!), better story, less preserve the nature mumbo jumbo and it might have been a decent film.

4/10 (Only because of the awesome CGI in 3D)

Jeez! One of the most overrated, overhyped films I've ever seen. The story was weak, predictable and FUCKING cheesy. When they flew around on those dragon-like creatures the womit was immenent. I really can't understand how this movie got so good word of mouth going. Some of my friends says it one of the best movie they've seen, and fine by me, but I can't understand it. It's really a shame that a shitty movie with a boring story has such amazing CGI, for that, I give it credit. 75% of the movie consisted of the main characters gaying it up in the forest. Boring! More action(!), better story, less preserve the nature mumbo jumbo and it might have been a decent film.

5/10 (Only because of the awesome CGI in 3D)

Why was I so angry when I wrote that :)

Why was I so angry when I wrote that :)

Because it was shit!!!!

I am ashamed that I bowed to public pressure and went to see this piece of garbage. Absolutely awful. The CG just pissed me off with it's fake glossiness of it all. Seriously, I don't get what people are getting so worked up about it for? I have seen much more stunning movies than this. Innocence for a start impressed me much much more visually AND had a decent story. This? This was crap, the gimmick of having it in 3D was much needed as without this would be a 1/10 instead a 2/10. At least I know who not to ask for advice about movies again!

If you give Avatar a 1/10 then I envy you, cause you really haven't watched any really bad movies.

People like Avatar for one major reason. Because unlike most of the recent blockbusters Avatar was made with a professional way.

Above all the story, the visuals, the messages and the 3D gimmicks you can clearly see Cameron's experience.

It's so obvious to me.

e: I forgot. This was the first movie ever that actually transport you to another planet. Cause Cameron was clever enough to realise that flora would make the difference.

1 out of 10... lol

I'm feeling some broken expectations! :ph34r: Are you writing in affect? :P

I can see why you dislike the whole Hollywood sha-bang/cliche/predictiveness but I mean... if u when to see and didn't sort of expect that, you only have yourself to blame (and James Cameron... did you see Titanic??!?!?!) :P

and I must say... even I really like and was really really impress first time I saw Innocence, the animation in Avatar is leagues beyond... they have with this movie done something with texture I haven't seen done better before (ever!).

ED:

e: I forgot. This was the first movie ever that actually transport you to another planet. Cause Cameron was clever enough to realise that flora would make the difference.

True that flora is very important, but in the alien animals didn't make me feel very alienated, pretty much just dogs, horses, tigers with 6 legs instead of 4... and some dino-creatures!? Nothing ground-breaking at all!!! And the NAri-dudes.. not even close to extraterrestrial!!!:ph34r: In this the movie really (also) fails, to afraid of leaving the human frame of reference?!

Actually now I come to think of it there was nothing that did not remind me of planet Earth, all flora was just super-sized and coloured plants, plankton and mushrooms... or jelly-fishes!

ED:

True that flora is very important, but in the alien animals didn't make me feel very alienated, pretty much just dogs, horses, tigers with 6 legs instead of 4... and some dino-creatures!? Nothing ground-breaking at all!!! And the NAri-dudes.. not even close to extraterrestrial!!!:ph34r: In this the movie really (also) fails, to afraid of leaving the human frame of reference?!

Actually now I come to think of it there was nothing that did not remind me of planet Earth, all flora was just super-sized and coloured plants, plankton and mushrooms... or jelly-fishes!

True but Cameron wanted to look the aliens more humanoid than extraterrestrial so the audience can draw easily the parallels between Na'vi and their world with our planet. (Which was the main motivation behind Cameron's story).

Anyway my opinion about the movie is that it was a cliche, simple movie with predictable plot and thin characters, but manage to transport the audience to a beautiful world and feel for 2 and a half hours excited. And 3D played a role in that.

What else to ask from a fantasy film?

BTW did you guys watch it in the cinemas or...? Cause especially in Avatar the cinema experience can't be replaced.

If you give Avatar a 1/10 then I envy you, cause you really haven't watched any really bad movies.

People like Avatar for one major reason. Because unlike most of the recent blockbusters Avatar was made with a professional way.

Above all the story, the visuals, the messages and the 3D gimmicks you can clearly see Cameron's experience.

It's so obvious to me.

Titanic, Hulk, fourth kind and paranormal activity all get straight 0/10 so yes I have seen some bad movies and this ranks almost as the worst but not quite.