Jon Cocco

Posted Image Posted Image

I just saw Avatar the other night. Have any of you seen it yet? My friend's and I absolutely loved it. My take...

The movie is superb. I loved Pandora (their planet). It's amazing. Watching this movie was like a dream come true. It's such a beautiful, powerful, and potent, and meaningful film with elements of harmony, unity, love (deep connections), freedom, and more. Before we walked in, I was a little reluctant on the characters because they're CG (computer generated) and blue, and I heard very little about the story. Once the film began however, any uncertainties melted away. The characters (played by real people throughout, then CG'd) look and develop wonderfully. I cared about them very much, especially the man and woman as the story progressed. The story isn't groundbreaking; it's very well done though. I didn't know this is a love story!

Director James Cameron took some of the most classic elements from a handful of the best films and married them together here, through his vision, which is awesome. The visuals are groundbreaking. Score and sound is excellent. Action sequences are imaginative. They're more effective because they have substance, a good story/plot, characters to back them up. The film is passionately produced, at times magical, and made me fall in love with movies all over again. At times I wondered, how did they do that?, it's so beautiful, creative, impressive on so many levels. Avatar is, in my opinion, one of, if not the most visually absorbing films to date, and one of the most important (meaningful) films ever produced. I highly recommend seeing it in theaters, 3D or otherwise. Both have gotten great reception. Chances are you will really like and/or fall in love with this movie. Highly Recommended.

PG-13

A

Other films I enjoyed in 2009 include District 9, Star Trek, The Cove, The Road and Taken. Avatar is my favorite film of the year to date.

Trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

Critic Reviews: Rotten Tomatoes / Yahoo Movies

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809804784/info

Where it stands in the All Time Box Office

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its awesome, and you have to watch it in 3-D! I liked it so much, I`m gonna watch it again in the IMAX, which will kick even more ass.

About the story: Yes, its predictable and kinda like "Dancing with the wolves" in space, but not bad at all, its corniness kinda fits the overwhelming world of Pandora.

The blue female, don't remember their name :( She was hot though, I wish I'd had a tail, and could make intercourse with such creatures.. :)

Neytiri, played by Zoe Saldana, who played Uhuru in the new Star Trek movie.

IMDB is your friend.

I heartily approve of this movie. The story was good if not terribly original. I like that "Dances With Wolves in space" analogy.

Liked it. 3D, great animation and beautiful landscapes are a good combination. And if you like fantasy you'll love it.

What stood out for me was the way the movie made you realise what you lose when you live in a city, the primal connection to nature.

I really dug it. Captivating visuals, really beautiful CGI landscaping. The storyline was really quite predictable and cheesy, but it didn't bother me that much, as everything else held my attention all the time.

Those plants, flowers and animals were goddamn awesome. :)

+1

I believe that this was the very first time in a movie that the CGI look so ''organic''.

So true! That's were this movie really excel, nothing comes close the animated biology in this movie. I just wanted roll around in that psychedelic forest!

Am I the only one that thinks the CG just looks shit?

I mean it doesn't for one minute look like I am watching live action here but something more along the line of CG animation (Toy Story etc) I can't see what is so groundbreaking here. It just looks like poor Disney graphics. Much less compelling than even the Final Fantasy CG.

I don't think the CG was trying to look truly real. I think of the Final Fantasy movie from 2001 when it comes to CG that is really trying to look real. I'm sure CG artists know that the technology isn't advanced enough to look real on such a large scale. But it still looked good.

I haven't seen it yet but the consensus, from reviewer to reviewer to reviewer, is "strong visuals, weak story." I wonder what it's like for a producer to spend all that money and have to decide whether the story should be intelligent or for the masses. Must be a tough decision, but it's clear which way Cameron went.

I mean it doesn't for one minute look like I am watching live action here but something more along the line of CG animation (Toy Story etc) I can't see what is so groundbreaking here. It just looks like poor Disney graphics. Much less compelling than even the Final Fantasy CG.

Highly disagree.

The photorealism of the CGI was phenomenal. You can clearly see all the minor details in their skin for example.

Final Fantasy was groundbreaking back then, but the characters animation looked akward and their skins too 'glossy'. Unlike Avatar were the digital characters looked and moved realistic.

I haven't seen it yet but the consensus, from reviewer to reviewer to reviewer, is "strong visuals, weak story." I wonder what it's like for a producer to spend all that money and have to decide whether the story should be intelligent or for the masses. Must be a tough decision, but it's clear which way Cameron went.

I didn't find the story weak. I found it simple, which is not bad IMO.

And compared with other 'for the masses' blockbusters like Transformers the story was surprisingly more clever.

And let's not forget that Cameron wrote this story 15-18 years ago.

Hello everyone!

The Avatar movie is pretty good if you aren't tired with American formula. Exaggerated characters, predictable storyline and overused in American cinematography scenes that are supposed to engage attendants emotionally but are annoying just because 80% of movie hits are using them in exactly the same manner. The planet Pandora is quite outstanding, especially at night. The 3D effects look good only in some scenes (especially panoramic view of planet surface or computers used by humans) but are tiring in most cases. This whole concept of symbiosis of life on Pandora isn't original at all but I don't care just because it's quite close to my opinions on this subject.

This move is worth attending but keep in mind that it has been made for an average consumer. This whole ecological and tribal motive is very nice but everything in this movie has been kept pretty simple. There is absolutely no room for individual interpretations or deeper analysis but still it's a good entertainment.

I think you're balls crazy. Square CGI is far cry from Avatar's chime at realism. Square's CGI is more 3D-anime than a try at photorealism and anime style is where they succeed. I don't think the two CGI styles are comparable in any way. Even at a technical level, they both have different goals.

Now I don't know what version you saw, but the Na'vi looked very convincing in 3D and everything else looked freaking awesome too. Better than what I have previously seen and trust me, I love this sort of stuff.

Seriously, saying Avatar's CGI is shit and comparable to 'poor disney graphics' sounds like trolling.

Not to mention when you were talking about FF CGI, if you meant Spirits Within's CGI... Good god man.

I have never seen CGI performances so strong in a film before, though Gollum in LOTR I felt was great at the time. This felt more humanistic. It was great to see the actors not only say, but do virtually all of the movements physically (as I now saw on the link below). The general concept was like the movie 300, but this had not just great action but strong character development, emotion. The story was good, just nothing groundbreaking like the visuals. I actually loved the story, how it was executed in the world of Pandora. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within on the other hand I found disappointing because it lacked substance.

I really cared about the characters in Avatar, and what happened to them, and the story. I like films where the characters grow and develop. The antagonist felt real, relentless. James Cameron married elements from Terminator 2 (relentless villain) with Titanic (love story), and this was a great idea I felt that worked wonderfully. Naturally I realize not everyone will love/like the movie. I thought Avatar was a beautiful, awakening film and I hope it wins best picture.

Caught this link on page one, posting it again here, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c4kNLz_4E8&feature=related