Lauge & Baba Gnohm - Monolith EP

Melancholyman

Posted Image

1. Leaving the Cave 9.24
2. Structures 8.25
3. Verdens Største Satelit 10.08
4. Beyond the Peak 7.53

It was a while ago that I reviewed Daybreak EP from Lauge and Baba Gnohm. I was eagerly awaiting their upcoming album. Sadly, it seems as that project is laid on ice for the time being. But wipe your tears folks, because here is a free second EP from the duo, Monolith EP.

"WOW!" is the first thing that comes to my mind. Every aspect of the music has been improved from the previous installment. Daybreak got criticism for being a little bit repetitive, lacking in diversity and variation. On Monolith the genuine Lauge and Baba feel is here, that slow pace, mellow tone, but now in an all new package with diversity, even more originality, greater production and composition. The tone is now much darker, but not necessarily so dark as to define it as dark ambient, but there is a more serious and profound feel to it. While Daybreak was not really psychedelic downtempo, though not stepping so far that it ended up being lounge, monolith really is the far side of Daybreak, there's a ton of psychedelia here. It's powerful, yet slow and highly contemplative. It sucks you in and there really is something hypnotic about this EP. That mystical, inexplicable, ungraspable but yet so perceivable feeling that defines, and is the very essence of psychedelic music is there the entire time. When I listen to Monolith I can sometimes almost feel the very fabric of space and time literally vibrating before my eyes, this is due to the extremely hypnotic nature of the music. It doesn't force you into a mood, rather gently wraps you in. This is done so seductively that I fall for it every time. In fact, my infatuation for this EP is getting deeper every time I listen to it. The genuine essence and feel of great artists rests within the sound and silence of these tracks. What you get is a 4 track EP spinning over about 35 minutes, which is not bad when you consider it is an EP and given for free. Monolith has left me totally blown away, I'm aching for more Lauge and Baba Gnohm music. It's a shame and a real puzzling question as to why no label has contacted and contracted this duo for an album release. If I had the money and time I would, without any second thoughts. The future seems very bright for Lauge and Baba Gnohm.

Recomendation: If I say to you, this is "Ultimae standard" I guess you all know what to expect. This is not a joke or some sudden rush of enthusiasm, it's really that good. Also skeptics of Ultimae might very well enjoy this since it's not as beatless or minimal as many Ultimae releases. When I refer to Ultimae, it's not the sound I am referring to, it's the feel of extreme quality! Slow, moving, subtle, considerate, uplifting, melancholic, mystical, contemplative, groovy, the adjectives could be countless. Grab it, it's free!!!!

Find it here by Monday, December 21st! Monolith EP

• 4 weeks later...

so good that when trying to add something to my evergrowing ableton dj set I can't pick just one... and typically I dont like to have more than one from an album............ DEF the best of all the recent free chillout stuff on ektoplazm.. well done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...