alesis monitor question

hey all. im thinking of picking up a set of alesis m1active 520 usb monitors as they are relatively affordable and connect directly via usb which is a large plus for me at the moment. does anyone have any experience w/ alesis monitors? would this be a good choice or not? i am not a rank beginner at production (i know my way around the sequencers and vsts) but im by no means experienced and have never worked w/ monitors...

thanks in advance

I have never heard them specifically, but at $200 a pair for active speakers with built-in DAC, you're going to get crap on all 3 fronts (speaker, amp, DAC). I had a pair of (passive) Monitor One MkII's for a long time, and they were fine for a low-budget monitor, but packing an amp and a DAC into a monitor and charging $200 for a PAIR, I really believe you will get nothing but crap.

What is your budget, and do you already have a DAC of any kind?

• 2 months later...

They are crap... don't cheap out here, you'll regret it.

I actually snagged a new pair of Yamaha HS80Ms for about $550... got somewhat lucky with the deal, but they rock. If you can't find 'em for a price like that save up a bit longer, it's really worth it, monitors are the most important gear you'll buy.

my budget is roughly 500-600$US and no i dont have a DAC

and you may have a point about the crap, my brothers roommate apparently has the 320s of the same line and they do indeed sound pretty bad

I am no expert in Pro Audio but I've used active speakers for several years, there's no way better than Dynaudio. There's also the Genelec's active speakers, maybe too expensive.

Less than 200$ for each monitor you will get worse sound than with an hi-fi system! believe!

best wishes