To All Ravers For The Love Of Electro

psycho bhangi

Dear Wonderful People Of The World,

I am conducting research for my masters thesis which involves the study of spirituality at raves, through electronic music and collective energies. The idea is to ultimately find out how many people would actually attend a DRUG FREE rave solely for the love of the music and the feeling of being connected to a greater vibe.

It would be great help to my study if you would just take 5 mins to fill out this short questionnaire and reply back to me at my email address somayehbardai@gmail.com with the answers. Your identity will not be disclosed, as this is a quantitative study, which means your name and information will remain confidential and irrelevant. But your contribution would be very very much appreciated.

1.Nationality and Age?

2.How old were you when you attended your first rave? Where?

3.Describe what you feel when you are at a rave?

4.What is your opinion about spirituality at raves? Are they spiritual? Why/why not?

5.Is electronic music enough to make one feel connected to the energy or are drugs a necessity? Why/why not?

6.What do you think of a DRUG FREE rave?

7.Would you ever attend a DRUG-FREE rave and be sober simply for the love of the music and the vibe? Why/why not?

Thank You so so soooooo much.

Somayeh a.k.a Maya :P

p.s. If you haven't been to a rave then please specify in the second question, however your opinion about the rest of the questions would still be valuable

p.p.s. For the people who have not experienced drugs, please don't feel offended by these questions.

This information is Confidential for the purpose of an academic study. I assure you your identity will not be revealed.

Please give us more infos about your thesis, like an official documeent or something, and people will be more likely to answer. From my admin console, I could only see that you're from India, that's not much.

Rave is a word that's not much used anymore you know...

Now your answers:

1) French, 32

2) I was 19, that was in Bordeaux, France

3) When I like the music, I feel Transported by it. If I don't likee the music, I feel like taking a nap :)

4) There's no short answer. Yeah imo some are spiritual. Because the story they tell please you, and you feel like you're part of its flow. But you don't need a party for that, a concert with some music you really enjoy will do that too.

5) Music alone is enough. Drugs might improve the good feelings, but might also make bad feelings even worse. My best memories are without drugs. You are uplifted by the music and at the same time aware of everything that's happening, you have nothing to fear and you're in control.

6) I strongly support it at my level. Now, it's an utopia to believe there can be a totally drug free party for all the attendance. Some people just want to be high when going out, and you can't read that on their face at the entrance.

7) Sure. "simply for the love of the music and the vibe"

1.Nationality and Age?

Greek, 28

20 in Athens IIRC

I feel good...

4.What is your opinion about spirituality at raves? Are they spiritual? Why/why not?

It depends the music.

5.Is electronic music enough to make one feel connected to the energy or are drugs a necessity? Why/why not?

It's enough, especially psychedelic trance.

I don't do drugs, so I don't really care.

7.Would you ever attend a DRUG-FREE rave and be sober simply for the love of the music and the vibe? Why/why not?

Yes and done it many times.

Thank you so much for your reply...

I will definitely send you a copy of my report once it is complete. The topic of my research is

"Ecstasy inducing abilities of trance music within a rave environment and the plausibility of Drug Free Raves. "

The idea at the end is to organize a drug free rave and make people realize that we dont need them to be high on life and energy.

PLUR

there is nothing wrong with enjoyment, the idea is to clean ones system and become open to energies rather then live in illusions. its just a theory im testing, whether we can be together and feel the energy and be connected without a harmful agent. and yes drugs are fun and enjoyable but no one can agree that they are harmless, and yes many things are harmless in our day and age, even breathing the pollution, but if we think oh well thats the way it is then we are ignoring what we have been doing to our enviorment and ourselves, we are ignoring the fact that we are ignorant and we are destroying our world. the very world we try and connect with at a rave, wont exist after a while if we dont become conscious, and in order to be conscious we need to have presence of mind, which we dont when we are constantly high on drugs and not on life....

Please correct me if u think im wrong, this is what i think and i would like to know what you think as well, i guess there is no universal truth to this matter, its just a matter of perception and opinion, but really can we be human and humane to eachother without drugs?

1.Nationality and Age?

27, Sweden.

20, Stockholm.

I feel happy.

For me they are not spiritual at all. I don't have an revelation or anything like that when I'm at a rave. I simply enjoy the music that I love and I dance the shit out of it ;)

I have never tried drugs. I don't feel connected to the energy. I don't even know what that means. I enjoy the music :)

I don't do drugs so I don't care.

7. Would you ever attend a DRUG-FREE rave and be sober simply for the love of the music and the vibe? Why/why not?

Yes. Because the love of the music.

im sorry if i seem to have offended you in anyway, that was not my intention and i do not mean to be discriminatory at all towards drug users considering i have nothing against drugs or anyone who uses them, having experienced several myself, im just trying to understand if we can connect on the same level without them.

PLUR

1.Danish (Denmark) 18

2.15, i went with my brother to a gms gig in copenhagen

3. Generally just trying to have fun, chat with friends, dance a bit. Drink

4. I don't feel spiritual. Can't say that i do-

5. I generally stay away from drugs and i don't do "party" drugs - I don't really have the necessary experience to say that i wouldn't feel spiritual in any way on drugs.

6. Fine in my opinion, But control in any way is bad, and mostly people who attend raves wonna have fun to their own extent.

7. It would really depend on the music and if i could get friends to go with me.

1) British, 28.

2) Don't remember.

3) If it's good, I feel like forgetting my worries and dancing.

4) They can be, or they can just be a bit of fun. I've only ever found them spiritual when I've been on something, as far as I can recall.

5) Electronic music is enough. Drugs help though.

6) If you mean a rave where people are somehow prevented from taking drugs, then I think it would be a bad thing; people should be able to take stuff if they want to, and if it's not hurting anyone else. If you mean a rave where everyone remains drug free out of choice then that would be fine, I wouldn't consider it somehow better or worse in principle than any other rave.

7) Yes. Because I've been drug-free at parties and had a good time.

1.Nationality and Age?

American, 30

19 or 20, Seattle

That really varies a lot. At their best I always felt the wonderful, collective energy of tightly packed people all focused on enjoying the same experience. At their worst I feel unsafe because of assholes that may or may not have weapons, or at least likely to get into a fight at the drop of a hat.

I think that is completely dependent on the individual. I can feel a spiritual connection at good raves, but that's because I'm a spiritual person. A non-spiritual person at the same rave may just be having a great time without thinking any spiritual thoughts at all. So I'd say raves are not spiritual, only people are.

Music is absolutely enough. Drugs don't make one feel connected to anything, they just help loosen the mind from the mundane, but are not necessary.

If it were drug-free by coincidence, because no on happened to be on any drug, it shouldn't be any different from any other good rave. If it were drug-free because of heavy policing to keep drugs out, it wouldn't be as much fun. That kind of thing puts strain on people who just want to have a good time.

If it were drug-free due to heavy policing then I wouldn't be interested, but were I to go to any raves I would be drug-free. There is no psychoactive substance I would be interested in doing at a rave these days.

whether we can be together and feel the energy and be connected without a harmful agent. and yes drugs are fun and enjoyable but no one can agree that they are harmless, and yes many things are harmless in our day and age, even breathing the pollution, but if we think oh well thats the way it is then we are ignoring what we have been doing to our enviorment and ourselves, we are ignoring the fact that we are ignorant and we are destroying our world. the very world we try and connect with at a rave, wont exist after a while if we dont become conscious, and in order to be conscious we need to have presence of mind, which we dont when we are constantly high on drugs and not on life....

If used wisely I think it is very possible to use drugs without any harm at all. Most scientific evidence that drugs are harmful comes from studies of people not using it wisely (addicts fe). Just check out maps.org for some examples of the benificial use of drugs.

Not everybody on a rave tries to connect with the world around him/her. It is very often just a way to enjoy yourself and be together with friends. Just an alternative to a barnight. Not every rave is a mindbending or mindexpanding experience!

• 2 weeks later...

1.Nationality and Age? American. 27.

2.How old were you when you attended your first rave? Where? 19 or 20. Los Angeles. Infected Mushroom.

3.Describe what you feel when you are at a rave? It depends. Sometimes I feel energetic and vibrant and joyous. Other times I feel depressed and bored.

4.What is your opinion about spirituality at raves? Are they spiritual? Why/why not? Nice idea but I think spirituality is secondary to partying as far as raves go.

5.Is electronic music enough to make one feel connected to the energy or are drugs a necessity? Why/why not? "The energy"? Of course drugs aren't needed for anything. Even when taken, sometimes they don't bring one closer to anything but further away from it.

6.What do you think of a DRUG FREE rave? That promoters are trying to look good so they won't get busted.

7.Would you ever attend a DRUG-FREE rave and be sober simply for the love of the music and the vibe? Why/why not? I don't believe in sober raves. I've been to raves sober and it's been fine, but I would never expect everyone to go sober even if it's promoted as a sober party (been to those, people were high).

By the term RAVE, i mean a psy trance party. (just to make it clear, cause the term RAVE contains many different styles) - this term is abadoned when it refers to a party, cause the party is defined specifically by the music that is played. RAVES used to be called in the mid 80s to early 90s when the music was one and the whole scene was not musically divided.

1.Nationality and Age?

Greek - 27

18 in Athens

one greek word: CATHARSIS

Taking into account that i am refering to psy trance music, then YES this is a SPIRITUAL GATHERING. It's all about energy and what can be achieved with this flow.

More than enough. The most imporant thing is that someone must have deep faith in this belief and be concentrated in that. It demands a certain state of mind.

I don't do drugs, so I don't really care. I don't bother about drugged dancers, unless they can't control the effect and enter my own freedom at the certain time-place.

Of course.