What does Psychedelic Trance mean for you?

Guest D N H

As a cause for this topic stood many discussions' overall outcome to disputes around Psychedelic Trance, its development and soundings, like this one.

IV| And the last but most important. The stance of a desirous psychedelic trance producer(or a seeker), the intellectual attitude to create psychedelic trance. Psychedelic trance always expressed concepts of the beyond like space, cosmology, paganism, existential, extraterrestial, science fiction, exploration, intellectual progression. Psychedelic trance has always been a synonymous with mysteriousness. Which absorbs and uplifts the mind and never lacks of seriousness. "Besides the gorgeous melodies, sounds and creativity in this music, there was mysticism which is beyond words. This mysticism is what makes Goa Trance truly special, in my opinion at least". That mysticism and depth is what mostly missed.

Superficial sentimentalisms or black evil behaviors are something way foreign.

Can be psychedelic trance seen as a dance music to groove, of fluffy love lifestyle (or evil wrath), music made for the repletion of dancefloors? Remember The Future.

So what Psychedelic Trance means for you?

What's the idea of it, what's all about?

Is anything else perceived beyond the beat and the weird electronic sounds?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The question here is if there is something else beyond the sound or due to sound.

A reason, an idea, a meaning, an essence.. Or there's nothing..Or something else...

What do you think when you hear the phrase "psychedelic trance" and what do you feel when you hear psychedelic trance.

Not sure what it means to me but it made my life a lot more interesting to be frank. I was never exited about music except few rare occasions, nowadays I get all kiddy whenever someone announces a new Goa album. There's so much more depth to this music that whenever I listen to it, I just kinda lose myself in in it. It blocks a lot from my head and at the same time gives me a lot of ideas.

I can't say psytrance in general has any overall meaning, since there's a wide range of feel in the different subgenres. But goa in particular has a certain feeling (one I still can't achieve for some reason) beyond the usual trappings of the style. Not a "meaning" in any verbal philosophical sense, but a feeling.

Of course, I've never been part of any "scene", and it's usually people that are a part of scenes that attribute "meaning" to those things. I just like what I like.

Hey guys, great to hear!, but this is not a devotion's declaration topic.

This is not about how much you love psy-trance.

The question here is if there is something else beyond the sound or due to sound.

A reason, an idea, a meaning, an essence.. Or there's nothing..Or something else...

What do you think when you hear the phrase "psychedelic trance" and what do you feel when you hear psychedelic trance.

I have to say that 50% of the right drugs usage depends on the music environment.

But main benefit is the right push for the brain that fuels my inner life. It helps me concentrate on books I read or creates the shelter from the environment I am in. Change of setting, mood...

But if the music is indeed good I just listen, listen and cry, justifying past, foreseeing the next and right before the climax; I start to play....

Psychedelic Trance is just music, which give me trance alpha-state of mind. It mean no thoughts, or minimal amount. Why?

For example let's take frequency of alpha-rhythm 10hz. It is 10 oscillations in second or 600 oscilations in minute.

600! Have any ideas, what I'm talking about?

Ok, let's see it in music.

Calculate it in standard rhythm 4/4 and length of notes 1/16.

I will be 150 bpm. There is TRANCE in musical and psychological sense. 150 kick drums and 3 bass notes in middle. KbbbKbbbKbbbKbbb

So I use Psychedelic Trance for:

1) monotonous work without demanding of thinking (it can be everything including walking, sex, driving, eating, dance);

2) recreation when I lie or sit and relaxing with headphones on my head. It's some kind of meditation when my body totally relaxing, and I lost connection with this world, and go to another dimensions;

3) falling asleep!!! :rolleyes:

In past I have used it when took psychedelic substances. It is proper music, but try IDM and ethnic shamanic music too ;)

Some goa-trance tracks also give me euphoria, make me smiling :D

Because alpha-state it is most difficult music to produce...

Because alpha-state it is most difficult music to produce...

Errh... A 150 bpm kick drum does not seem that hard to "produce" in my opinion. Could you elaborate on the other characteristics necessary for this "alpha-state"?

Errh... A 150 bpm kick drum does not seem that hard to "produce" in my opinion. Could you elaborate on the other characteristics necessary for this "alpha-state"?

Ok.

It can be achieved in a number of ways and most of us achieve it at some during most days. A typical time may be just before one goes to sleep, or as one wakes.

At this time the mind is clear, receptive to information, and rapidly makes 'connections', realisations and joins up thoughts.

Many an 'AHA!' or 'EUREKA' moment comes at these times.

This was no doubt the state that Archimedes was in a good relaxed state when he launched himself out of the bath and down the street in his birthday suit.

The state is also great for releasing stress.

In music it's just proper bpm and:

1) Long time of song. Approximatively 5 minutes needed to change state of mind.

2) 16th notes repeating sequences.

That's all.

You pick only 1 thing from my post (kick and bpm) and give your wrong conclusion.

You see in fact alpha-state make you simple relaxed and indecisive. It is difficult to concentrate on production itself. It is not good state to make decisions, but production process is a number of right decisions.

For example it is like 170 IQ genius when he on strong dosage of DXM or alcohol. He think every his action have a huge sacral sense, and he think he have a lot of insights at this moment. But for sober observer this guy is just an animal. :D

I have to disagree entirely with OM's psuedo-mathematical analysis of psytrance and alpha-pattern brain waves.

The music that the term 'trance' was originally applied to was not 150bpm with 1/16 note basslines.

I'm also frightened for the people around when he's driving if he considers that a time to not think. :ph34r::D

As a general music lover, all categories have their best (almost all)

when you like 'one category' the best

theirs always one you dislike the most,

no hiding in that, c'est la vie !

to the point :)

Psychedelic trance started with Goa trance is one of, I repeat "one of" the greatest when it comes

to interaction between the listener & producers,

it feels like it has more depth...

is it placebo, coincidence I don't care, it's there....

It does not top Classical Music off course but it uses the same type of euphoria, zen state what we like to call trance nowdays...

but I think that's still the same (not 100%)

then again that's just one perspective from the ...

where will i start?

well, for me trance is more than music. much more. much much more.

this music expands your scences, your mind, thoughts and soul. i uderstood the meaning of life thanks to true trance. i discoverd true love and adoration.

i spend manny hours every day learning about the trance scene in e world, and specialy in israel- where the trance culture is very unique and specail.

this music gets in to evry aspect in my life. i take it everywhere i go and bring it to every one i meet. what can i say... trance is the most strong expirience i had so far. i can only thank god that i was born in these times when trance excists!

• 3 years later...

It's just very intense & well structured music that manages to pique my interest more than any other genre. It's not my only music but it's pretty high up there, especially the 90's works as well as some of the neo-goa like Suntrip. I never got in to the whole deep spiritual aspect nor the alternative lifestyle. I was never a big fan of camping festivals in any genre, call me a snob but I enjoy a nice shower, clean toilet and comfy bed after a night of partying.

Last time I went to a camping doof it was in Canberra and there was one toilet for the entire 30 hour event, over night someone managed to paint the toilet and entire room with diarreah. It was so bad that dogs were outside it howling & wetting themselves. It was such a nice gig but that just slayed me.

Goa and psychedelic trance are the most intense music genres for me including some ambient. The music is very alive, chaning and gets into the heart. It is much more than music because one track tells such a story like the weather or nature or technology. With trance I can fully dive into the music and let my fantasy run, I can imagine all kinds of amazing things and goa trance is also defining music. The artist tells you what to think with the music, at least for me it is like that.

For example

Astral Projection - Another World sounds cold and technologic. It reminds me of sunny winter days or rooms full of screens, lights and consoles with windows looking out to a beautiful winter day.

Hallucinogen - The Lone Derange for me is much different in sound. It sounds very mystic to me and reminds me of ghots and mystical beings, it also reminds me of some animals, some old buildings and the smell of grass. It basically has a theme of a night with full moon with mystical beings, horses, old buildings and simillar. But some tracks remind me more of a city than only a few buildings. The coverart of hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger fits the album very well.

So this is what I mean when I say every album tells a different story and has a different visual experience thanks to the deep atmosphere of the sonical imput of the album.

Goa trance is also very emotional and gives me feelings like love, euphoria, melancholia and energy, it depents on the tracks.