So why exactly did the old masters conform to Full-on?

Penzoline

Pleiadians, Cosmosis, MFG, Total Eclipse, Electric Universe you name it, they all conformed to what the scene had become. Why was it so impossible to create new goa-trance for them? Pleiadians I understand, it lost it's members and they were able to cash in on the name, but honestly, I hate to see them ruin their name with full-on. Granted, the full-on these artists make is not necessarily bad, but I for one detest that rolling ugly bassline that sticks out like a sore thumb, so much that I don't want to listen to the rest of the music.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been asking myself the same question, and from what I've gathered so far, it seems that most of these artists consider their old goa work to be extremely cheesy. They probably

lost interest or evolved (like any artist), or just wanted to try something new and they liked it.

Maybe they are getting old and don't do drugs anymore like they probably used to, so there's less inspiration. Plus, let's face it, it's not a really big market

to try and make experimental dance music, so you just stick to the formula that works and hope for the best.

Also, their goa fanbase is far too small for them to care if they are 'true to the old school' when they can just make something that will certainly get them to the next festival/party.

They noticed that people liked it (wonder why) and moved there because of the money. No full on = no gigs = no worshipping on stage.

I always have said and always will say that they sold out big time.

If they really sold out they would make euro trance right now. Or electrohouse.

i must say that if these oldskool artists make oldskool sounding albums they would probably sell better then isra/euro fullon

agreed. i've never seen anyone who was not disappointed by a pleiadians/etnica liveset.

on the other hand man with no name and hallucinogen do fine by still playing goa trance.

As long as the music is good I don't have any problem with it. I don't get why people are bashing acts who changed their style to full on. A bassline doesn't make the music automatically bad and if you don't like the style you don't have to listen to it. Sometimes I have the feeling that a group like Pleiadians could make any kind of music and the people would still call it commercial crap.

Sometimes I have the feeling that a group like Pleiadians could amke any kind of music and the people would still call it commercial crap.

Au contraire, mon ami. If you've used to create high energy-music, immense powerful stuff, and then you make something complete the opposite... Then yeah, you're going to lose some fans. :)

On the other hand, after years of creating the same stuff, you want to try something different as an artist. And you've got to admit, the early full on/psytrance sounds great and had lots of potential, until the bad boys came in and TOOK OUR MUSIC *South Park reference*! Haha. You know what I mean. But I guess money is indeed a big factor.

They noticed that people liked it (wonder why) and moved there because of the money. No full on = no gigs = no worshipping on stage.

I really guess it's the money is issue then. I just don't see why even one of them couldn't have at least tried some new goa, at least they wouldn't lose their face/rep doing so.

It's simple.

Ppl like Full On.

Artists must live from their music.

They conform to Full On.

It could be worse though. They could conform to progressive. :ph34r:

Man, they're both almost as bad :(

Full on / Eurotrance same story!

I honestly agree. They're so predictable, boring and un-interesting most of the time.

I really wish at least 1 legendary old school artist would have the balls to make some new goa..

...said the guy who's now doing prog/electro house instead of goa/psy... Posted Image

...said the guy who's now doing prog/electro house instead of goa/psy... Posted Image

I do not produce Electro House or progressive House (Did some in 2006-2007 but far from the commercial sound). I make Techno and some Tribal, a lot of downbeat and occational underground House which is a 1000 times more "trance" (as in getting into the state of trance from a repetetive beat) than any full on ever will. And the music i make is quite underground. But I don't expect some people to grasp that concept as they will never understand House etc. ;)

If he prefers so....then we can't say anything against.

Its not always a matter of compromise but also of changing taste.

(hmm? Is hallucinogen still playing goa trance? i thought he also changed his style since Mi-Loony-Um!)

If he prefers so....then we can't say anything against.

Its not always a matter of compromise but also of changing taste.

(hmm? Is hallucinogen still playing goa trance? i thought he also changed his style since Mi-Loony-Um!)

I agree. But that means he should not try to judge others as well! Does he know for sure that others sold out? That they compromised and he's the only one staying true to his roots and just by coincidence he has changed style to more widely recognised housey stuff because he likes it?

And to be honest I can't really understand how anyone can complain about Cosmosis, Koxbox or Transwave adopting some of the full-on techniques into their music? Do you not see the difference between their music and Israeli full-on fodder? Would you feel better if they stopped releasing music altogether? Would you prefer them to starve to death, because 100 people on psynews (out of which just 10 will pay for the actual music) are wining that they're 'selling out' if they use rolling bassline?

Come on. Stop complaining, just listen to the music you like and ignore the rest.

musically the fullon style is so boring.

why do they just convert to do that style instead of pushing the limits and make new interesting sounds and styles.

they still get their cash from gigs just because of their name.

they can play whatever they want and they choose to do just those sounds.

Granted, the full-on these artists make is not necessarily bad, but I for one detest that rolling ugly bassline that sticks out like a sore thumb, so much that I don't want to listen to the rest of the music.

Would you prefer them to starve to death, because 100 people on psynews (out of which just 10 will pay for the actual music) are wining that they're 'selling out' if they use rolling bassline?

(Ohh! That full on rolling fat bassline i can't stand it too.)

Sometimes when i think how things are financially, the occupational difficulties, the unemployment and the uncertainty, i quit criticizing any artists (except of greedy marketing idols).

Does he know for sure that others sold out? That they compromised and he's the only one staying true to his roots and just by coincidence he has changed style to more widely recognised housey stuff because he likes it?

And to be honest I can't really understand how anyone can complain about Cosmosis, Koxbox or Transwave adopting some of the full-on techniques into their music? Do you not see the difference between their music and Israeli full-on fodder? Would you feel better if they stopped releasing music altogether? Would you prefer them to starve to death, because 100 people on psynews (out of which just 10 will pay for the actual music) are wining that they're 'selling out' if they use rolling bassline?

Rolling questions?

The irony is that a lot of the old school masters jumped on the Goa bandwagon way back when. Because of the nature of the music everyone wants to assign pure motives to Goa producers but that isn't always true.

In any case a lot of the full-on guys have jumped ship for techno. And so the cycle continues.

And to be honest I can't really understand how anyone can complain about Cosmosis, Koxbox or Transwave adopting some of the full-on techniques into their music? Do you not see the difference between their music and Israeli full-on fodder

cosmosis is a good example of how to do it right. the latest album has enough goa influence and is innovative and distinctive enough to make me happy. i don't know what koxbox is up to and tbh didn't really like any of his output after 'forever after'. but transwave?!? what i have seen and heard about their new album seems to me like pretty standard fullon plus dumbed-down versions of their old hits...

Long time ago I had conversation with one oldschool producer about this subject. He started as rock guitar player, then techno, then goa trance, now foolon and chill-out. He said:

"For true musicmakers like us there is no style importance, we will make modern music that people like. That it. Period. We don't give a f$$$ what bunch of sticked in 90x fans think about us. We prefer to live today."

I was shocked but then I realise that my map of world can be opposite to this man's map. So I can't expect of him to love goa trance as I do.

My point is - don't expect of this guys comeback, until goa will be more popular then foolon, dork, postgressive or whatever. ;)

I don't agree with the blanket assumption that somebody who changes to a more popular style must be doing so for purely commercial reasons. Popular styles get popular because people like them, it's hardly surprising that a lot of people who used to make Goa would like them too.

I honestly don't mind the rolling bass line that much. I enjoy it, but in moderation, and when properly executed. The Nommos has that rolling bass in most all their tracks, and they pull it off quite well. I find when the rolling bass line is higher pitched, I enjoy it less.

I agree. But that means he should not try to judge others as well! Does he know for sure that others sold out? That they compromised and he's the only one staying true to his roots and just by coincidence he has changed style to more widely recognised housey stuff because he likes it?

Come on. Stop complaining, just listen to the music you like and ignore the rest.

I have talked to and know many of the mentioned artists. Many have over the years said the reason why they made full on was to maintain a flow in gigs. Ergo this is selling out IMO. Otherwise you would do what you truly love and not where the money's at.

You criticize me for selling out because I shifted scene. But I never did it for the money. I came from the House scene long before I started to make music in the psytrancescene so I have always had a love for House music and Techno. Heck I dont make any money from my music at all. If I wanted money I would have followed all my artist colleagues at the time they shifted to full on or make commercial House or music in general.

I am not into talking about taste as it's very personal. But it is indeed selling out if your only purpose is to gain popularity and/or money instead of doing what you really love. And I know for a fact many of the old-school artists shifting to full on did it because of an economical matter and not for the love of the music.

Stop telling people not to complain or debate what they like to debate about ;)