I am a Suntrip fanboy

Trance2MoveU

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing exists for millions of years in a static state. Species evolve at different rates, sure. I don't see what this has to do with ANYTHING. It was just an analogy.

Mine was too. And please, cut the flaming. It's a simple discussion, if it doesn't mean anything to you then those insults really aren't necessary.

The only thing I expect from an artist is that he's creating music he likes, and tries to express himself as much as possible. If it sounds like music made a couple of years before, what's the problem? You don't HAVE to like it. By the way, most of the new stuff being released nowadays isn't my cup of tea either - let alone what's being released in the 'evolved' genres like darkpsy and full on..

I kind of agree with this:

My point in this "debate" is that what's now considered "New Goa" in my opinion has very little to do with the Goatrance I consider to be genuine Goatrance and used to like.

But that's an other debate than Consciesness'.

It's all about the music, if it sounds good it's good no matter how old or new it is.

I could not agree more!

But the debate here is about "New Goa" artists and if they are trying too hard to sound like the old goatrance artists and by that ending up sounding un-original. In my opinion I haven't really come across any "New Goa" artist I would consider as Goatrance. I dont question their talent but I think they try too hard to re-create something I honestly think they can't re-create. We live in a very different World today 15 years later and music has evolved a lot. So has the Technology and especially the trance scene to an extend that it's a 360 degrees changed scene in all aspects. This is bound to influence the music too and the magic and creativity within the Goatrance (as I experienced it) is long gone and is not present in the "New Goa" music. In my opinion of course.

I do not say the music is no good. Of course it's as good as any other music and IMO it's better than most stereotype Full on. But until now I have a very hard time understanding those who say it's the "new" Goatrance. To me its miles away from what Goatrance was all about. Not only in respect to the sound, production, vision and creativity but also in terms of the whole spirit and atmosphere in the scene. The "New Goa" trance artists mostly play at the big Festivals and commercial parties. In a scene that has absolutely nothing to do with the Goatrance spirit and how the Goatrance scene was. Therefore and because of the sound and genre direction I cannot agree that this is the "new" goatrance.

I know I'm rambling on. Forgive me :)

The only thing I expect from an artist is that he's creating music he likes, and tries to express himself as much as possible.

Which is not what artists do if they try to express other people from 15 years ago. Moar creativity please. Less trying to fit into a certain definition, to resurrect a certain old form, to copy something already done. That's all we're saying.

If it sounds like music made a couple of years before, what's the problem?

Nothing. I love older music. None of this newschool goa stuff sounds like old goa trance. Some of it is still OK music, but let's stop pretending it's going to be the old stuff back again. That's not even desirable. The only reason I call it newschool goa is for lack of a new term for it.

I think the simplicity played an important role in oldschool goa. Tracks never start out with 20 different sounds playing at once. They start with a couple, and slowly add a couple more over and over. As they add them, they manipulate them and make beautiful music out of the sounds currently present. In this way they prove every sound belongs there and shows their brilliance at blending sounds together. Tracks were long and built up slowly throughout, allowing us to admire the artistry the whole way through. As we are able to comprehend the entire buildup of the track and the place of every sound in the whole, the music seems very deep. It's as though we are watching a beautiful thing evolve.

Newschool goa is a lot different and partly because of the new technology. These tracks are usually changing way too fast to fully comprehend them. They seem a bit more superficial because they flit all over with sounds. I'm listening to a Filteria track right now and the entire track basically sounds like the climax of a Pleiadians track. While this may seem nice, climaxes are always going to be superficial unless you get a big buildup before them. Climaxes should be your reward for paying attention for the last 5+ minutes.

Pleiadians IFO is nice, but let's not get the wrong impression from it. Stuff like THIS are the real gems from Etnica. It's only because Etnica has made tracks like this first that IFO can be appreciated. As far as I'm aware, nobody in the chill scene has even made something as nice. Nobody in the newschool goa scene has dared dropping their BPM below 150 yet (:rolleyes:), so no chance there.

P.S. I saw Agneton mentioned earlier and I agree, it's great. Since the Ethereal album, only Ra and Agneton after that are with my goa trance collection.

I think the simplicity played an important role in oldschool goa. Tracks never start out with 20 different sounds playing at once. They start with a couple, and slowly add a couple more over and over. As they add them, they manipulate them and make beautiful music out of the sounds currently present. In this way they prove every sound belongs there and shows their brilliance at blending sounds together. Tracks were long and built up slowly throughout, allowing us to admire the artistry the whole way through. As we are able to comprehend the entire buildup of the track and the place of every sound in the whole, the music seems very deep. It's as though we are watching a beautiful thing evolve.

Newschool goa is a lot different and partly because of the new technology. These tracks are usually changing way too fast to fully comprehend them. They seem a bit more superficial because they flit all over with sounds.

Thats totally right . I am glad to hear what you just said. :)

I know this isnt goa but i just uploaded a video of my own music i made just using a roland mc 505 (i stopped to rely on the computer to produce my music seriously , since i started on the groovebox i just cant use the pc , sounds flat and cold brrr).

Five On Five - Lounge Moves (Live)

Its a live session and you will see me playin on the 505 , it's 10 minutes and it's like you just mentioned above.

Here it is and hope everyone enjoys it.

Thing is if i am trying goa with my hardware most people will probably say (yea its crap because nowadays hippies just became on super hippies that want to hear 1000 sounds at a time and the whole musical sense is lost) lost buddhas maybe? (so yea seems i had the right alias afterall) .

Regards to all ,

Filipe.

The thing is, for me and I know there are others out there, goa trance never died. I was a kid when goa trance was at its height, as a genre. As a newcomer in this genre, I equally like new school and old school. I equally enjoy listening to old school classics for the first time, and listening to newer artists and I find the wealth of interesting sounds coming from each to be fascinating. Maybe after another ten years, I will look back at suntrip and remember what it was like when goa went through its first revival, and loathe those ultra new school, moontrip records copying Ra and Filteria.

Suntrip's popularity is not just from those looking to keep an old sound alive. It is also from a new wave of interest in goa trance in general and I can say I am a part of that.

Thats totally right . I am glad to hear what you just said. :)

I know this isnt goa but i just uploaded a video of my own music i made just using a roland mc 505 (i stopped to rely on the computer to produce my music seriously , since i started on the groovebox i just cant use the pc , sounds flat and cold brrr).

Five On Five - Lounge Moves (Live)

It's a pretty good track and definitely sounds oldschool. I'd say very good, but it won't hold up to much stuff released in the early 90s. Still quite jealous here. :)

Note that I'm not suggesting everyone should go backwards in technology, only that it was part of the particular magic of goa trance.

The other half of the magic to goa trance (IMO) was the abundance of creativity. Different artists and albums had such unique sounds and atmospheres. Their tracks had a real personality, which I feel is often watered down in releases these days. I like when a release stands out completely from the others having a very unique sound. That's the icing on the cake that makes a CD 5/5 for me. I hope chillout releases can distinguish themselves better in the future, because other than that a lot of them sound excellent already. We have a very wide range of possible sounds in electronic music, I wish they'd get used more! I consider something like the Will-O-The-Wisp album a great example.

It's a pretty good track and definitely sounds oldschool. I'd say very good, but it won't hold up to much stuff released in the early 90s. Still quite jealous here. :)

Note that I'm not suggesting everyone should go backwards in technology, only that it was part of the particular magic of goa trance.

Hey man thanks for watching :) . What do you mean by "it won't hold up to much stuff released in the early 90s" ?

I never done this following genres or even aiming for the 90's. It's just me that's all.

Why going backwards when the clock is always ticking forward?

I got the 505 because i like it not because i was aiming for the 90's . Is there any point on copying music?

Glad you liked it. :)

Newschool goa is a lot different and partly because of the new technology. These tracks are usually changing way too fast to fully comprehend them. They seem a bit more superficial because they flit all over with sounds. I'm listening to a Filteria track right now and the entire track basically sounds like the climax of a Pleiadians track. While this may seem nice, climaxes are always going to be superficial unless you get a big buildup before them. Climaxes should be your reward for paying attention for the last 5+ minutes.

Pleiadians IFO is nice, but let's not get the wrong impression from it. Stuff like THIS are the real gems from Etnica. It's only because Etnica has made tracks like this first that IFO can be appreciated. As far as I'm aware, nobody in the chill scene has even made something as nice. Nobody in the newschool goa scene has dared dropping their BPM below 150 yet (:rolleyes:), so no chance there.

P.S. I saw Agneton mentioned earlier and I agree, it's great. Since the Ethereal album, only Ra and Agneton after that are with my goa trance collection.

I agree with the first part of your comment. But i can't understand that you (and others) haven't found a newschool (if it was up to me it wouldn't have that name, 'oldschool' or 'newschool', it's all Goatrance to me) artists/track/album yet that you like. Are you guys so narrowminded, do you instantly dislike something if it's released post 2000? Today there is much less goatrance released than in the 90's, so it's normal there is less great stuff out there, but i can't believe there is so few to your liking.

And also there is some kind of weird contradiction, that Goatrance today should sound more like the old stuff, but on the other should sound new and fresh, and shouldn't be stuck in the past. I have never understood these new/old discussions, just listen to music you love :) I personally like old and new goatrance equally, only difference imo is production(quality), and i'm not gonna talk about what's best, there are both new and old artists i really love...

I agree with the first part of your comment. But i can't understand that you (and others) haven't found a newschool (if it was up to me it wouldn't have that name, 'oldschool' or 'newschool', it's all Goatrance to me) artists/track/album yet that you like. Are you guys so narrowminded, do you instantly dislike something if it's released post 2000? Today there is much less goatrance released than in the 90's, so it's normal there is less great stuff out there, but i can't believe there is so few to your liking.

And also there is some kind of weird contradiction, that Goatrance today should sound more like the old stuff, but on the other should sound new and fresh, and shouldn't be stuck in the past. I have never understood these new/old discussions, just listen to music you love :) I personally like old and new goatrance equally, only difference imo is production(quality), and i'm not gonna talk about what's best, there are both new and old artists i really love...

This is what i call the "Goa" Sound :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcxNS1DqTnw

Nice nice.

Well it's bound to sound oldschool since you're using older equipment, but that doesn't mean it can't sound unique too.

Good luck on your new acid/goa trance album. ;)

Well i'm old school my friend , my decade is now gone and over :) so that's why my music sounds old skool and of course the equipment i have fits me.

Anyway the Digital Era completes the last Decade , it sure gives a polish to the analogue sound and it's truly awesome.

Acid Goa album , depends on the people , but this one i might play it on December for sure.

If the people show interest in Five On Five of course i will be glad to throw a total Acid Madness album :)

For the meantime spread the word! B)

And also there is some kind of weird contradiction, that Goatrance today should sound more like the old stuff, but on the other should sound new and fresh, and shouldn't be stuck in the past.

Precisely my point. You take old classics, re-record them again with today's production, and they will sound fairly different. Not the old school sound anymore. People will moan. While I love many of the classics and more obscure old goa, the style has to evolve so that, even still being goa trance, it doesn't sound like the older music; if it hasn't it might partly be the artists not risking, and some labels pushing agendas on their artists (for what I've heard).

I think suntrip and phototropic, to name two, have this pretty well handled with most of their releases so far, or at least as of late.

Precisely my point. You take old classics, re-record them again with today's production, and they will sound fairly different. Not the old school sound anymore.

Have to disagree Black ;)

If they had the same gear and doing it today , It would definatly sound old skool , only difference is the Recording Quality of nowadays that would help to get a more crystal clear sound that they couldn't get at the time (probably due to their studios low budget) , still the fullness and the touch of the Hardware is there and that can truly be notested.

Note : only if they were using their Hardware Gear they were using at the time not Software.

Listen to my Acid Goa Trance done with hardware and take out the conclusions by yourself :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcxNS1DqTnw

Freshly made today.

:)

Forget Suntrip. This thread is now about Filipe and all his projects. The real Goa, not that fake new school shit!

You're the real Goa i guess LOL .

Jealousy is truly a ugly thing.. you notty boy. :)

I advise you to pick some good glasses and see where i said new school is shit. don't forget i have been helping and educating a lot of new school acts , remember that before pressing reply alright mate? ;)

Ok, settle down everyone. I made this thread to profess my admiration for a label that has given me music that I missed out on when it was at its zenith. To be honest, I enjoy the music. Other than production, I cannot really tell the difference between new and old school. And I don't care to. I'm not into labeling. If it sounds good and moves me, I like it.

Mdk

You're the real Goa i guess LOL .

Jealousy is truly a ugly thing.. you notty boy. :)

I advise you to pick some good glasses and see where i said new school is shit. don't forget i have been helping and educating a lot of new school acts , remember that before pressing reply alright mate? ;)

Oh, I'm jealous? Of what exactly? You are a non-entity. Here in this thread we have an ample demonstration of what is kinda sad about this whole scene. Apparently it isn't possible for someone to express their open admiration for all that Suntrip has done without the trolls such as bwhale and wannabes like you taking over :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm jealous? Of what exactly? You are a non-entity. Here in this thread we have an ample demonstration of what is kinda sad about this whole scene. Apparently it isn't possible for someone to express their open admiration for all that Suntrip has done without the trolls such as bwhale and wannabes like you taking over :rolleyes:

Dude im not even saying anything else because i'm not getting in the fights you know why? Because im not entering on the offending section where you just entered.

Congrats you just offended one of the persons that fought and fight a lot for the scene you want to praise now.

You want a perfect flowerish Scene? There's not SUCH THING.LOL go on then praise the flowers then big lady.

All the best to you too mate.

PS - I can truly see how "Goa" you are now. And you still say i am ruining the Goa Scene? LOL isn't supposed Goa to be open minded and accept people the way they are instead of go on fights just because i done a bit of promotion of my new and hard work , since some people were talking about the old goa days? It's not im my conscience for sure. I must say that the Goa Scene of nowadays is everything but NOT Goa , if everyone thinks like you.

Over and out.

Where did I say you are "ruining the Goa scene"? Don't falsely characterize me. All I said is that you're a wannabe--and a drama queen to boot, what with your "I'm leaving the scene" announcement that was so quickly followed by some rubbish about making the comeback because the people have spoken and they love your music too much for you to disappoint them... what a joke.