I am a Suntrip fanboy

Trance2MoveU

Was there any hope to begin with? It's been almost a decade after the death of goatrance and 6 years after it's supposed rebirth(Sky Input year to me) and where are we at? ~20 Goa-trance albums a year. That number is laughable..

Well, I agree that there are very few artists who have an original style, or a different approach to goa trance nowadays. And I also think that there isn't much experimenting going on anymore, since a lot of the artists think that long melodies are the only thing that build a goa track (at least that's how I feel and hear it). But it takes time, the whole revival is still going on, people still make music and new artists are still coming up. The golden years may be over, but I prefer quality above quantity ^_^

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there any hope to begin with? It's been almost a decade after the death of goatrance and 6 years after it's supposed rebirth(Sky Input year to me) and where are we at? ~20 Goa-trance albums a year. That number is laughable..

Well, I wouldn't say there's much more than 10 good, worth listening and lasting albums in every other sub-genre, i.e. dark or full-on (don't know about prog, because I don't listen to it), so having 20+ goa releases which you like is a good result IMO. What I'm saying though is, that in 'nu-skool goa' same truth can be applied as there is to other sub-genres: about 5-10% of releases are worthwhile and the rest is forgettable - for me this year those were 1/2 of Filteria, 1/4 of Opus Iridium and 3/4 of Afgin :)

Well, as some guys mentioned... We concentrate mostly on the positive melodic goa trance, but E-Mantra is much darker/acidic, more like a storm by night, so the lovers of more experimental and acidic original goa trance, that will probably be your cup of tea :)

Hello

Thanks for the nice words, and alos thanks for the words that make us want to be better. It's funny to read comments usually reserved to mainstream labels pointed at a non-mainstream one:)

But what is "us"? We are all talking about Suntrip like an "entity" able to release music - just like that. Actually the artists made Suntrip's catalog what it is.

So "trying to be better" would mean being more restrictive on our selection of music to release. Maybe Afgin or Radical sound like AP vs MFG, but, hell, could we possibly say no to these ones? I believe these albums rock, and not so many labels release Goatrance music out there. Don't the few of you who don't like them believe that it would be a bigger loss not to release them than to release them? "trying to be better" may also mean being more restrictive on the artists. Currently we tell them when a track sounds bad or too cliché to us, but we leave them much freedom. Wouldn't it be bad to curb that freedom?

I don't think we want to become other big labels who influence(d) their artists too much...would bring more harm than good imo.

We also believe that some people may like what other known groups used to produce and that they want more! And there are tastes, you know. And we CHOSE to be a Goatrance label after all, so we DO produce Goatrance. Agneton is more Nitzo than Goa in our opinion -we didn't have a chance to produce it and I don't think we would have anyway, even though I purchased the album, personnally- but we fully support this kind of alternatives :)

You may argue there are special cases, Khetzal for instance. But it took Khetzal years to make this album and it was in special "bliss" conditions. In other words it's an extremely rare conjunction of events when an artist creates Goatrance music these days that doesn't sound like anything that was released between 1995-1999!

E-Mantra is another example. Those who have been asking for different, darker, styles in this thread will like it. What other artist did that kind of music? Ok maybe it's originally inspipred by Etnica, but E-Mantra now has his own style...I often refer to it as uptempo made like downtempo music if you see what I mean. Just give it a try. Extracts are here: http://www.suntriprecords.com/release/cat/SUNCD17/

Lastly, we have become like every label to people. We were new to the audience, we had lots of ideas...And 5 years later, we're part of the landscape and are considered as any other label. Yet, we have nice plans for 2010, and we hope you'll be pleased with these releases.

Thanks to all.

Maybe Afgin or Radical sound like AP vs MFG, but, hell, could we possibly say no to these ones? I believe these albums rock, and not so many labels release Goatrance music out there. Don't the few of you who don't like them believe that it would be a bigger loss not to release them than to release them?

I guess that's a direct reply to my post, so I'll comment on that. No, my intention was in no way to tell you what you should do as a label, what music accept and what reject. Otherwise I'd have to spend 48h/day posting on labels I don't care about. The topic is about being a Suntrip fan boy, and I replied because in the past I was one (and to some extent still am - I'm buying all releases), but with each new release I feel less connected with what I'm hearing. My post was only a expression of my concern over what I though was one of the best things that happened to this scene in this millennium. Just keep up the great work you (Mars, Joske & the artists) are doing and don't mind comments like mine - the most important thing is you make people happy: some of them constantly, other occasionally ;):D

You may argue there are special cases, Khetzal for instance. But it took Khetzal years to make this album and it was in special "bliss" conditions. In other words it's an extremely rare conjunction of events when an artist creates Goatrance music these days that doesn't sound like anything that was released between 1995-1999!

This is one of the reasons I singled out Corolle; sadly loads of people seem to think this is a bad thing, and that if you don't do the "old skool" sound you're not really making goa. I want to see more experimentation and unusual ideas on the music, otherwise, yes, lots of tunes end up being too samey.

Goa trance is done and you guys should move on. Trying to revive old music will never work. The creativity ran its course and the good artists moved on (now many in the psychill scene). No good artists try to remake something that has already eclipsed. Of course goa trance can be built on in many ways. Ra's new album is a good example. It's not trying to be like any oldschool goa trance, it's forging something new. But there aren't many artists working on that and you shouldn't try to force it because the result will be (and has been) a lot of crap.

Nevertheless he's got a point.

So you consider music that's here for around ±15 years old? And people shouldn't create such music any more just because of that reason? I don't think there's much stuff left for you to hear then, haha.

You guys are a bit ridiculous.

Do you see people trying to revive old synthpop? Old techno & classic trance? No, they're all basically dead. Better to say they've evolved. They evolved into goa trance and other genres, which are also evolving. Goa trance is now evolved into psytrance 10 years ago. These genres are just major abstractions, just like "species" in animals. All music always changing, getting better, and you guys are like stupid people trying to "save" some species of animal without realizing that species naturally must evolve and change, that they are never static, and that trying to artificially preserve them is dumb.

bwhale/sunwolf/eiko/elysium strikes again!

It's a pity you feel it's nessesary to call me a troll. I for one is no troll. I just express my honest personal opinion. I know you disagree with me but try something new. Respect other people's opinion and debate without the namecalling every time someone does not match your opinion. This way debates become so much more polite.

So you consider music that's here for around ±15 years old? And people shouldn't create such music any more just because of that reason? I don't think there's much stuff left for you to hear then, haha.

No not at all and that's not really the point I am trying to make. My point in this "debate" is that what's now considered "New Goa" in my opinion has very little to do with the Goatrance I consider to be genuine Goatrance and used to like. I think I explained my point quite well in an earlier post in this debate. Click back and read it if you like.

Newschool - Oldschool - whats next ? a big pile of stickers beeing sticked on top of each others? enough labelling please.

/me gets a lighter and burns all the stickers.

What are you doing to those poor, little, innocent stickers!!! :(

No not at all and that's not really the point I am trying to make. My point in this "debate" is that what's now considered "New Goa" in my opinion has very little to do with the Goatrance I consider to be genuine Goatrance and used to like. I think I explained my point quite well in an earlier post in this debate. Click back and read it if you like.

Couldn't agree more with you Elysium.

Well, there are certain fish and reptiles who exist for up to millions of years actually.

..never thought I'd say that in a newschool-oldschool discussion.

Nothing exists for millions of years in a static state. Species evolve at different rates, sure. I don't see what this has to do with ANYTHING. It was just an analogy.

Goa trance has changed and you can't bring it back. But waste the next 10 years trying if you want. I find it quite funny watching your stupidity actually.