I am a Suntrip fanboy

Trance2MoveU

The title says it all, but I wanted to create a thread expressing how impressed I am with this label's incredible production. In a time when CD sales are in the toilet and everything seems to find its way onto the net, these guys continue to release top notch material. As you know they started back in 2004 with Filteria's groundbreaking Sky Input and haven't looked back. I missed the goa revolution when it first came around so when "nu-school" goa made the scene I was eager to jump aboard. Of course credit should go to the artists primarily because it is their visionary music that transports the mind, but Suntrip has shown other labels how it should be done. The quality has been so consistent that they merit a blind buy from me every time. I would say that they are responsible in no small part for the huge amount of Goa being released today. Just look at what they released in 2009 alone:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All of them superb (waiting for the E-mantra disc, but no doubt it will be stellar.) I hope that you will continue to release quality goa trance as I will be in line everytime with money to throw at you.

BTW, I don't want to offend any of the other labels as it isn't my intention. As a pioneering label in the genre of goa trance, I believe that other labels have benefited from their lead. There has been so many awesome compilations with such great artists that I feel like the kid in a my signature. Thanks for all that.

Mdk

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, and it is only thanks to people like you guys that the label and the music still exists! It is becoming harder and harder to get the necessary sales to release the next one... So it is always a pleasure to hear people still appreciate the fact you release this material on real cds :) So thanks alot! :)

We hope we can continue like this, and that many more superb young goa artists will show up! :)

The future looks bright and filled with goa! :)

You guys should go to the Suntrip (& Psynews) Party the 12 of december: Ra en Artifact303!

Loads of fun but be prepared to get a bit (or totally) crazy...

Those Belgiums know how to trancedance, hahaha.

Lol, I think I know your avatar, is it the Anoeba-elephant that ended up in my hair on the Aurora festival? :D

And well, if it is... You seem to export the old school trance and dance well to Holland! :)

Lol, I think I know your avatar, is it the Anoeba-elephant that ended up in my hair on the Aurora festival? :D

Yup!

The others are BB King (the bear) and Nonsense.

Listening to E-Mantra by the way and it is.... wooooooooww! I am dancing like crazy between typing!

The Photo:

Posted Image

I am too a fanboy, I was from the day I first heard Sky Input lol.

+1 Posted Image. Thank you Suntrip.

And some day, I'd like to have not only melodic morning goa, but also some darker music just like toi-doi, cydonia, U.X. The only album close to this is Ka Sol's-FairyTale, and I want more of this stuff. An album by Amanians would be great Posted Image

Funny someone started this topic, because for some weeks now I was thinking whether or not to write something completely opposite.

The thing is, I've been following the psynews.org and inevitably also Suntrip Rec. from the very beginning, buying blindly all the releases even if just for the gratitude to the people that run this site. The music however, started as of late become less and less interesting, with quality control for the releases highly lacking. For me the decline started with Goasia, that had just 2-3 good tunes, the rest was forgettable. From V/A Sundrops I'm unable to recall any track, even though I can't say it was bad either. Merrow - again - was very uneven, with a very good theme and general idea, but most of the songs were bordering on annoying, with very simple sounds and clumsy melodies. Then Filteria gave me some hope again, although his chaotic melodic style and forced, incoherent melodies are still a farcry of what Etnica or other old-school masters were able to deliver in the past. Afgin was boring, dull and uninspired and Radical Distortion is grating - both base on the style that is 15 years old, but they both lack the original flair, flow and musical expertise Astral Projection and MFG respectively had. Whereas Elad is able to occasionally convey some emotion in his tunes, I feel the style he took limits his creativity. The Radical Distortion guys however have no clue about music - their 'melodies' are usually out of tune and if not, are trivial / childish at best... I have really big hopes for E-Mantra, because his tune on Opus Iridium was awesome, with hidden melodies and mind boggling complexity. We'll see :)

Sorry to sound so negative, but that's just my view.

From V/A Sundrops I'm unable to recall any track, even though I can't say it was bad either.

I'm sorry but... what?

California Sunshine - Oblivion

Chi-Ad - Sight Of The Sages

Virtuart & Chronomyst - Zanchin

Ra - Gateway Eight

Filteria - Back To Earth

I don't see how you can't recall any of those tracks..

Radical Distortion have no clue about music? Uhh.. There's this thing called taste. I find RD's music fun trippy and danceable and that's what I expected. You want the old complexity, well Suntrip isn't exactly the man for the job, but what they do release(New school goa-trance), is quality.

I really don't see an artist like MFG and Pleiadians coming to this scene in a long while, if ever. We're past that, unfortunately. You're expecting a rebirth of the old complex goa-trance..

You're expecting a rebirth of the old complex goa-trance..

Then it hardly makes any sense calling this music "new-school goa trance", does it?

Should I settle for inferior quality copy of the past music and pretend it's as good, because it is in the same style but immature, simplistic and lacking the depth?! I highly appreciate that new generation is trying to revive the old styles, but hardly any of them is capable in doing so: there's Khetzal, Agneton (who's album has been strangely missed by this board, BTW), Artifact303, Artha, Filteria and Afgin; but you lot are behaving like every new release is a godsend and future classic, whereas the truth is - just like in the old days! - that for every 1 good release, there's 5 crappy ones.

but you lot are behaving like every new release is a godsend

Maybe because so little of it is being released.

Filteria - Daze Of Our Lives

Afgin - Astral Experience

Merr0w - Born Underwater

E-Mantra - Arcana

Radical Distortion - Psychedelic Dreams

Blue Planet Corporation - A Blueprint For Survival

Cosmosis - Retro Volume 1 & 2

California Sunshine - Dark Side Of The Brain

V/A - Nitz-ho-goa

V/A - Suncokreti

V/A - The Sitting Goddes

V/A - People Walk Funny

V/A - Artificial Sun

V/A - Pure Planet 3

V/A - Alternative Colours

V/A - Ya Wichna

V/A - Organic Vision

V/A - Art From The Heart

+ a few I may have missed.

That is not a whole lot of goa-trance for 1 year to be frank, not to mention this year has had the most goa-trance releases of the decade I believe(Not 100% sure, I haven't dont much counting).

I love Suntrip but I really believe that they should release more dark, complex and psychedelic goa in the future.

Unfortunately it seems that every time someone thinks of new school goa immediately he thinks morning melodic and worst of all Dimension 5 style. We need more complex and psychedelic goa trance, I think we have enough floating goa.

IMO of course :)

I think what is so fantastic about suntrip is how each artist really brings a unique sound with each release. It tells me there is real artistic freedom. However, by comparison to older material many of the suntrip artists lack the complex psychedelic sound in favor of more accessible sounds. Honestly though, if people can't get into Radical Distortion or Merr0w I don't know what say. One thing is for sure, I love having an outlet for buying psy trance that I know won't have me buying mindless dark psy (Which I enjoy at times as well). In that sense I am a suntrip fanboy. I'd beg someone to point me in the direction of another label that releases quality with each and every release and makes me feel like I am a part of a community.

I love Suntrip but I really believe that they should release more dark, complex and psychedelic goa in the future.

Unfortunately it seems that every time someone thinks of new school goa immediately he thinks morning melodic and worst of all Dimension 5 style. We need more complex and psychedelic goa trance, I think we have enough floating goa.

Very true. Amanians was a great example of darker goa but Mike A(subra, owner of cronomi) said they have stopped writing music. Another different style of goa is Artha, looking forward to that.

Agneton (who's album has been strangely missed by this board, BTW)

I do wonder about this, I've listened to it a billion times. Really awesome music..

Filteria - Daze Of Our Lives

Afgin - Astral Experience

Merr0w - Born Underwater

Radical Distortion - Psychedelic Dreams

Blue Planet Corporation - A Blueprint For Survival

California Sunshine - Dark Side Of The Brain

V/A - Suncokreti

V/A - The Sitting Goddes

V/A - People Walk Funny

V/A - Artificial Sun

V/A - Pure Planet 3

V/A - Alternative Colours

V/A - Ya Wichna

V/A - Organic Vision

V/A - Art From The Heart

From this list, found only People Walk Funny to be a really coherent, from start to finish (exclude the OOOD one) A-class material. Guess that makes me agree with Antic's view...

I have to agree with Antic even though I respect the Suntrip guys from releasing according to their taste/vision and not what's the current trend in the psytrance scene.

To me the whole Goa scene is long gone and merry memories I will always carry with me. Out of curiosity I have pre-listened to most Suntrip releases and most of these releases try too hard to sound old-school and end up being copies of something already made years back. But IMO without the magic or innovation I experienced listening to the old classic goa tunes in the 90's. It's probably just me and the fact I have "Been there done that" whereas newcomers (and a few hardcore oldies) probably will see it as a "new" genre and therefore think this is "it". But what I personally lack from the Suntrip releases are new ideas and looking forward instead of looking back repeating what others already did, IMO better.

If you have to repeat/revive something you have to make sure you do it in a unique way and not just ending up with a product too close to what’s already been explored. And IMO this has not yet happened with the Suntrip releases.

But I wish you guys and your artists the best and all the success in the World.

Suntrip shouldn't be held responsible for the whole newschool scene. They say what they do, and they do what they say: reviving melodic (positive) goa trance. It's up to other labels and artists to decide if they want to do the same, or do something different.

I really don't see an artist like MFG and Pleiadians coming to this scene in a long while, if ever. We're past that, unfortunately. You're expecting a rebirth of the old complex goa-trance..

Sounds like you've lost all hope for psychedelic trance :D

Sounds like you've lost all hope for psychedelic trance :D

Was there any hope to begin with? It's been almost a decade after the death of goatrance and 6 years after it's supposed rebirth(Sky Input year to me) and where are we at? ~20 Goa-trance albums a year. That number is laughable..