Posted Image

Shpongle

Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland

Twisted Records

Released 2 Nov 2009

Cover scan from Discogs

Track 1, 10:12

ELECTROPLASM

From the ethnic flavors we hear in the opening song, you can't help but wonder if the album might be similar to Tales of the Inexpressible. But it soon becomes apparent that we are in different territory; a different realm; the air of a very distinct album vision. The sample that begins mid-song gives us the first clue of the glitchy stuff we'll get into in "Shpongolese Spoken Here." But we don't cross through to Shpongleland, yet. We still circle in a whirlpool on the outskirts. There's an enchanting voice sample at around nine minutes, full of excitement and wonder. ...Just a great darkly-tinged vibe with that marks the transition back into Shpongleland--after we left its universe last, with Nothing Lasts.

Track 2, 6:38

SHPONGOLESE SPOKEN HERE

Glitch boom, glitch glitch boom for a couple minutes. I think we're at Shpongleland's customs inspection. Then a pulsating place.. maybe we are undergoing final inspection by wasp-shaped sentries upon passage of customs? As with the previous track, a glorious sample and effect smack dab in the middle, and we have now fully gained entry to Shpongleland and are just glimpsing the creatures that await us. Some wonderful melody and then we get some delightful classical guitar. It's also here that we learn that there is nothing too much here, nothing is over-kill, as with most of this aptly-described-elsewhere, "mature" album.

Track 3, 6:24

NOTHING IS SOMETHING WORTH DOING

Anything dark or edgy from the first two tracks we are gently assured by the notes of a gorgeous hang drum and their supple soundscapes won't come to us in this space now in Shpongleland. Just a happy, positive vibe. We have been initiated by the elder spirits of Shpongleland and they are ready to share with us how much we still forget--that it is only love and grace that drive every energy of Shpongleland..anything dark is purely a reflection of our fear, but necessary context for what it is light.

Track 4, 10:26

INEFFABLE MYSTERIES

I think maybe we're overhearing chatter at an nth dimensional port or something. Here, we encounter the first very strong, driving Indian voice samples (or anything truly driving, for that matter) and their effects. The tuba thread that weaves through our ineffable journey first appears here. Raja's flute magic followed by a strong voice effect in the middle of the song again, hmm. And then one of the first of the stellar, stellar female voice samples that are on this album--"a stranger in paradise," ahh! Love that! [i would have never known, had I not read the liner notes, that this sample is computer-generated!] The intensity picks back up as we are led out hearing that diminished, Vaudeville tuba droning in the background…where are we? An interstellar freak show? Ok, that's fine by me. We get an impression of the Shpongleland spirits' power in this track. Finally, there is the humble chant we are fortunate enough to hear at the end of the track.

Track 5, 11:36

I AM YOU

"Shri Ram Jayram Jay Jay Ram" ..beautiful tones on this Hindu mantra. Then, I kind of feel like I just ate a dose. Ahh, but it's gonna be nice, just nice sounds, energetic melodies and synths, a touch more glitch…then the declaration of non-duality at about three minutes that "I am you, I am you..." setting up a beautiful, healthy, earthful, warm female voice. Then some lovely riffing halfway through and some nice synths that remind you of your visit of Are You Shpongled? Oh wait, there's that tuba again. And then we feel some trance energy. I can't help but hear a little IM in this song, complete with charged guitar leads, sort of their ballad-style down-tempo, like the song "Dancing With Kadafi." Either way, this is the most epic song on the album.

Track 6, 8:54

INVISIBLE MAN IN A FLUORESCENT SUIT

A group of string instruments inhabit this portion of Shpongleland. Where are we now, geographically in our tour? What planet in Shpongleland are we on? I don't know, but I think it's spring here at this place in Shpongleland right now. And, there are old souls here; just benevolence and fellowship. ...Crescendo and decrescendo as we don't know where we're headed and then the diminished-sounding tuba, bringing back a bid of sideshow vibe and a great treat: cello and flute in the last third of the song. ...And next some gorgeous lachrymose introspection.

Track 7, 8:02

NO TURN UN-STONED

The god's of Shpongleland bless us with a talisman and send us on our way, walking backwards. Some shining vocals three and a half minutes in leading to some terrific drums and woodwinds. But, the descent has begun, we're being waved goodbye to, from the inhabitants on the shore of this isness--as we start to fade from Shpongleland.

Track 8, 8:13

WALKING BACKWARDS THROUGH THE COSMIC MIRROR

We're played out with potent energy…some electric jolts and great male voice samples here. There's some edge as we pass through the thorns which are on Shpongleland's protective outer membrane. At about 3:40 you get the feeling the credits are rolling and you're walking out of the theatre. The outro really kicks in and is so badass. This is where we say "woohooo, that was marvelous!". ..Peaking at around five minutes, we get yet another hint of the relevance that Goa has here in Shpongleland. And, hey, that makes perfect sence; isn't that where it all started for Posford and Ram? Finally we are played out by some rusty, old netherworld-squeezebox.

...and Raja Ram's trusty flute.

Overall, 70:42

If Nothing Lasts... But Nothing Is Lost can be visualized as phases of a dream sequence, which has been suggested, Are You Shpongled? might have simply been a psycho-spiritual locomotive which drove right through you and, maybe, Tales was its distant cousin-realm, well… Ineffable is, oddly, a very symmetrical cross-section or galaxy of the Shpongle universe. But that's not because it's uninspired or square in any fashion. It's just that our stewardship this time is more full-grown. There is no over-production here--which, in my opinion, has possibly been a slight mistouch of Posford's, at times. Rather, it's like there's an invisible hand working throughout the production, which has very thoughtfully removed anything which is excess.

The live band face of Shpongle has really emerged with this album and it doesn't hamper what avenues can be portrayed--just greatly expounds upon them. Moreover, it's amazing the way Posford and Ram can make the acoustic elements jive with the trancey--or otherwise electronic--foundation throughout. At first, in only certain areas were these trance elements obvious, but after each listen, you see they're everywhere--and damnit, it's awesome!

Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland is a spectacular album and, arguably, the best Shpongle album, period. Whether or not there is any point in arguing that it's the best or not, this is something special for those who have treaded through Shpongleland for over a decade, since 1998.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This album disappointed me on the first few listened... I keep hearing bits of DMT mixed in there so it seems unoriginal, and I consider the lyrics cheesy... we speak Shpongelese just seemed like a mess.

IMO Shpongle have got worse every album, even though others disagree. Are You Shpongled was an ambient masterpiece that makes my top 5 albums every time - the other two have good portions but noting like the classic that AYS? was!

Anyway I'll listen to it more, see if my opinion changes!

Where are you guys hearing this? If someone has a link to longer samples, please post. So far what I've heard sounds great.

Psyshop samples

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/twi/twi1cd036.html

Where are you guys hearing this? If someone has a link to longer samples, please post. So far what I've heard sounds great.

Psyshop samples

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/twi/twi1cd036.html

Like I mentioned in the last paragraph, this album was leaked and that's where most people have probably heard this.

I don't know if longer samples are available, but the album is now shipping from the UK and will be released soon in the States. That's where you should get it.

The thing that worries me about this is the style... whereas AYS? completely tripped on the psybient scene and the next two albums were original psy-world-chill, this seems like a horrible hybrid between psytrance and psychill... just doesn't do it for me.

Love the samples in I Am You though :lol:

Got bored very quickly with this one, quite disappointed. Most tracks are just plain cheesy and/or annyoing, 2 3 and 6 I found nice though. Not nearly as as deep and interesting as their most early work, but I doubt very many expected that.

this seems like a horrible hybrid between psytrance and psychill.

hmm could you express a little more what you mean with that? cuz i dont think it has anything of "psytrance" at all, except for the last half of I am You and the last track there is no real 4 to the floor kickdrum... in fact i think the first two albums had more tracks that could come close to your expression.. just wondering what psytrance is to be found in this one?!

as for the album, i love it, yet some it needs some time to get into (but then again, not very many albums are so open that you'd fall in love with them instantly). got it on their show last weekend and its playing ever since. love "Ineffable Mysteries", "I am You" and "Invisible Man in a fluorescent Suit" the most.

No, this is very much shpongly. If you've seen the full band live you definitively see how they interact with the music they're playing in a very shpongly way.

I'm really, really happy with this album, and it stands as the second best album to Are You Shpongled.

And - it's excellent to play with if you play the bass / guitar.

as for the album, i love it, yet some it needs some time to get into (but then again, not very many albums are so open that you'd fall in love with them instantly). got it on their show last weekend and its playing ever since. love "Ineffable Mysteries", "I am You" and "Invisible Man in a fluorescent Suit" the most.

I'm anxiously awaiting my copy in the mail. I'd just like to say that very often for me, my favorite albums- I didn't like right away. So some of the negative reviews here are in no way discouraging me. Will just have to listen for awhile and come up with my own opinions. It's rare that Posford records something I don't like. Can't wait to hear!

Well I've given it some listens and a lot more of the stuff stands out to me, although there are still tracks I'm not happy about.

Electroplasm starts with chanting that seems lifted off of ATDTTN... from AYS?, but it is more desperate. Though I like the track, it is slightly on edge and uncomfortable like much of this album. Then you also get the mucked up vocal effect, also taken straight from Nothing Lasts... already I'm thinking this album sounds unoriginal.

Shpongolose Spoken Here is kinda cool but nothing special. Nothing Is Something Worth Doing is a fine, relaxing track, and probably my favourite on the album at the moment... I actually really like this one :huh:

Ineffable Mysteries has the most AWFUL female mushed up vocals on it somewhere near the middle. This is enough to completely put me off of the whole track, even though it has some cool Indian vocals towards the end which seem to turn it into a profound track when you get there...

I Am You - the only track on the album which feels like a masterpiece. Starts off on the right foot, with some great samples. Vocals are slightly cheesy... the track gets almost psytrancey towards the end, which I like. Ends a little too soon to get into...

Invisible Man - more orchestral and nice enough, however the wailing line is COMPLETELY lifted out of DMT! It's a shame because I think of Divine Moments of Truth and I'd much rather be listening to that than this to be honest.

No Turn Unstoned - I like the vocals purely because they sound so English! The singer sounds familiar to me because of this, and when you get to "Together we'll float away... to Shpongleland" it almost made me laugh :D

Walking Backwards - a nice ending with Raja's Flute but nothing like the endings to any of the past 3 albums...

I'm still of the opinion that Are You Shpongled? completely blows this out of the water. Just listen to Shpongle Falls and compare it to this...

Tennant's verdict: Some nice moments but overall not deep enough, too vocal heavy, unoriginal

Really sorry if I'm putting anyone off and making them cynical too already, please listen with an open mind, this is just MY opinion remember, and I liked AYS? far more than Tales, if that means anything to you. This is different to both and you may well love it more than the other Shpongles.

This should have been a Hallucinogen release rather than a Shpongle release. Or perhaps even Younger Brother, because that sound is all over this album.

I agree, I can hear a lot of Younger Brother mixed in there. Just listen to Invisible Man and see what I mean. Not Hallucinogen, but it does sound psytrancey in parts.

hmm could you express a little more what you mean with that? cuz i dont think it has anything of "psytrance" at all, except for the last half of I am You and the last track there is no real 4 to the floor kickdrum...

There is far more 4/4 time and much more reliance on Rhythm. I didn't say it was psytrance, since it's not, but it seems much closer to psytrance than the other albums, and to be honest, I don't like the "grey zone" that this falls in to, it's hard to pigeonhole this one.

to be honest, I don't like the "grey zone" that this falls in to, it's hard to pigeonhole this one.

I think that's exactly why I have always loved Shpongle... it refuses to be categorized and can really not be compared to anything else. This album is still growing on me but I already really love it, and have been listening to Shpongle for years now. I don't really have a favorite Shpongle album, there are such amazing tracks off of every one that really can fit such a wide variety of moods for me. This album is nothing short of incredible, though, and I look forward to having a psychedelic experience with it.

No, this is very much shpongly. If you've seen the full band live you definitively see how they interact with the music they're playing in a very shpongly way.

I'm really, really happy with this album, and it stands as the second best album to Are You Shpongled.

And - it's excellent to play with if you play the bass / guitar.

It's not about how they play it live. It's about how it sounds.

I have just listened to the album and I must say it great. This is not the best shpongle work however, very experimental and crazy... really not where the shpongle origins came from. I would say this is a mix between younger brother and hallucinogen and less of shpongle. But still, the production and the overall quality is awesome.

I give it 9/10

Looking forward to the new Younger Brother album.

I would love another Ott album! :rolleyes:

yeah, i can definitely see how people think it sounds some kind of like younger brother and i also got the feeling that simon worked a lot more on this one than raj did. when i read the booklet i got the feeling that most of the ideas came from si, while raj mostly is named in combination with the flute.. not that i think he did that much more on the previous shpongle albums, but this time raj really got into the background i think. but to me this is not bad at all and it definitely IS different from the previous ones - but it sounds good =) lots of love for details and lots of stuff going on in the background etc..

so, yes it could also be a hallucinogen album somehow, but he's the musical genius anyway in my opinion...

I completely agree with Tennant's verdict. There isn't the depth and inspiration as before. A different artists would have this as a pretty good release, but Shpongle had set the bar too high, and held to it not just by pretty and merry music. I hope new fans will be just as good or better as the old fans were. Alternately, I'd appreciate if Martians would take their disguised agents back and return us the real Shpongle.

HAHA! I'm speechless. At first,unconcentrated and busy, i was kind of disappointed. But the first time i really listen to it, with the help of a little buzz, I realize how good this album sound. I mean, this is INTENSE! It's simply perfect. Clearly the best posford album since the tales of the inexpressible album, and this is even better. Posford stayed into the ''nothing last'' ambience, but with a big difference. It's more subtle: even the vocals don't get on my nerves, put in context, they sound incredible, besided on the song unstone, but unstoned finish so strong that we finally dont mind of the little vocals.

Posford have his own style, and honestly, theres no other artist even scratching his toes. It's almost unreal what posford is able to do; the effects are perfect, everything is where is supposse to be, nothing is too big, its still chill-out, but in a never seen before way. This album is deep! Deep in a whole new way, its dense, I can't not imagine a better album than this honestly. Honestly, i didn't expect something this good from shpongle.

After the last couple years, posford kind of dissapointed me, but with this albums, the magic is BACK. I suck in english, so i can not express enough how this album is good. You have to listen to it to understand, but boy, this is crazy, and it will please any lovers of AYS or Twisted. I'm listening to it right now, and the complexity of each songs are at the peak of what'S possible to do with a computer Posford has put ALL of his knowledge into this one, and wow he knows a lot about creating different type of sounds.