Posted Image

Artist: Various (Compiled by Nova)

Title: Imaginary Friends

Label: Ultimae Records

Date: September 30th, 2009

Tracklisting:

1. Field Rotation - Regenzeit II (7:20)

2. Kevin Andrew - Three Weeks (5:30)

3. Rena Jones - Photosynthesis (Nalepa Remix) (7:09)

4. Offthesky - Gently, Drown The Scene (6:28)

5. Murya - Gray Daze (4:39)

6. Cell - Out Of Breath (5:55)

7. Aes Dana - Resin (7:23)

8. Hol Baumann - Handwritten Notes (5:27)

9. Asura - Longing For Silence (8:14)

10. Solar Fields - Times Are Good (Sometimes Remix) (8:10)

11. James Murray - Eleven (Decades Mix) (7:46)

(Interpretative) Review:

1. Field Rotation - Regenzeit II - Pop this baby in and your off to a nice enchanting piano start. The violin brings a sad melody to your ears but so melancholic that you skip to the next track. This is one beautiful piece. I would venture to say it captures the emotions, the feel if you will, exceptionally well. Great way to start off the compilation. Perhaps this song is a story of a boy who cannot find his friend and looking for him (imaginary or otherwise). The sound of water dripping into a pool of liquid is slow and possibly triggers the mind to think of a very slow creak or stream. Perhaps the boy is search in a forest for his beloved friend. To enforce this idea, there is also a rainy ambiance added in near the end of the track with light thunderings. I believe this track was meant to be bittersweet at it's core.

2. Kevin Andrew - Three Weeks - The piano, yet again, introduces us to this track along with a crisp, dribbling sound of pebbles (only way to describe it, I suppose). In this one, the piano takes a larger role than in the opening score along with what appears to be an acoustic guitar. The tune feels positively optimistic to me than previous; and yet, have a kind of pure grasp into your consciousness that you know there is more to this track than at first glance. Well... first listen, that is. A wholesome feeling of accepting the future to bring whatever it shall wrought on you.

3. Rena Jones - Photosynthesis (Nalepa Remix) - It has been a fair period of time since I have listened to the original track. But I do not believe this remix of it will let you done in the context of this compilation. What stands out right away is what appears to be an electric guitar addition to the track; if only a slight addition. Has a different feel to it than what the two tracks before it had in common with each other but still fit into the scheme of things. Laid-back has more emphasis here.

4. Offthesky - Gently, Drown The Scene - If you have any inkling that this one to be related to the itsy-bitsy spider diddy, then you may not be far off. With this one, you have more of a underwater sensation with the dubs and various compliments. Underwater, as in oceans-worth: You are gliding through the seas with the sun invading the elemental partition as best it can. You wonder aimlessly through the currents of the song. Gradually you rise to the surface and break through to do a flip in the hostile air before plunging quickly back into your great abyss. And then you smell something burning/burnt because you're living in a room right over the kitchen, gorramit.

5. Murya - Gray Daze - Keep with the status quo, this song is no exception to rhythmic smoothness. Keyboards are the main attraction of the track and the back-up is not half-assed, either. It gives a sense of gigantic space. Perhaps we are now exploring the cosmos and all it's wonderful, terrible mysteries. Or perhaps it's a lonely, warm night in the back yard of many acres of property and you look up to the stars and wonder if we will ever seriously venture on that frontier.

6. - Cell - Out Of Breath - We now have the return of the small pebble dribbling for this track but with variations, of course. We glide through the pebbleness to the main melody of synths that give a sense of brilliant purpose. An intimate discovery just below the surface of your consciousness that would be a break-through in today's so called "modern-world". If only the fools would realize that while speaking of the present, you can never call the world modern. Why? Because as long as the future wholes innovation and evolution, the today can never add up to modern. Anyway, this track is a reflection of that. And to try and tie the title of it to this auspicious notion... Out Of Breath could mean that the world today is out of breath from being pressured into it's new tomorrow. And that is why it is very important that you bring your wonderfully provocative idea out of your subconscious into the real word.

7. Aes Dana - And now we head towards the city with your newly formed idea to implement it. It must stand the test of "modern" (I use the term lightly, remember) technology in order to advance life. We have subtle industrial inspired sounds to accompany us on our journey in revolutionizing the earth. You have come this far, and yet there is still more ground to cover; however, you do not give up. With a little help from your imaginary friend you succeed in proving your innovation to society and all can reap the benefits. What would you ever do without your friend?

8. Hol Baumann - Handwritten Notes - Mr. Baumann now joins us with his trademark sound of xylophone and sharp electronica. I would have to only assume that he came from the future to show us why we can never say the present is modern. Could he be, in essence, a robot? I do not know. Although, he gives us a very humanistic sound in order to make us believe he is human. But those of us that are intuitive and observant enough will know the differences. For the musical assault on our minds he resonates is one of astonishment and yet so cunning that you may miss it.

9. Asura - Longing For Silence - After our eclectic counter with Mr. Baumann, we have become brainwashed by the longing for silence; a silent conference with our imaginary friend, no doubt. In this meeting we only to find Asura, who glows with a transparent aura that only the mind's eye can see. How is it that we can barely notice this? Why... the aura is expanding to encompass us as well. In this bonding we feel at peace with ourselves (as long as we remain in the aura of clarity). Finally, we have been opened up to the underlying meaning of the compilation.

10. Solar Fields - Times Are Good (Sometimes Remix) - And in our revelation, we find ourselves in a different world. A world unaffected by emotion. We see things differently, and in no way possible to explain to those not in our world. Thus, the old way of sense our emotions as fallen away and a new way has been made known to us. And our friend is there to guide us. With this new sensory understanding you realize that the way you look at life is not necessarily apathetic; but rather that you accept both good and bad situations in it.

11. James Murray - Eleven (Decades Mix) - It is now the eleventh hour. The time as come to move on into the unknown of the future. The passage is your rite. That rite given to you by your imaginary friend; to which, you do not make horrible use of it. To explore the uncharted country of possibility of what we call the future, you expanding your understanding, your horizons. That is what has been done to this track, to this whole compilation. There will never be going back now: the point of no return has come and went.

Favourites:

1!, 2, 3, 4!, 5, 6, 7, 8!, 9!, 10, 11!

Overall:

If you have not gotten your hands on this exquisite piece of musical artistry, then I highly recommend it. If love exploring soundscapes, if you love discovering new subtle ways in songs almost every time, if you just like to kick back and relax or take a snooze with music playing, then I highly recommend this compilation once again. Yes, I recommended highly twice to you; it is that good. There are no weak tracks on this album, in my humble opinion and that is why I listed them all as my favourite. That should say something.

Great album.

Favorites: Murya - Gray daze (what a track!)

Cell - Out of breath (Alex Sheffer is a genious).

James Murray - Eleven (decades mix)(Loved his debut album. This is in the same spirit, very subtle and smooth).

Arresting all the way through, although I prefer the second half (Murya and forward).

A little bit dissatisfied with the Solar fields track, gets repetitive. It´s not a bad track, but I expected more since beautiful eposes like "Feelings" and "The road to nothingness" on his last album. I was really impressed there.

Why are´nt there more magnificent labels like Ultimae in the chillout-genre!!?? Well, Altar and maybe Aleph zero, but still... I tend to love SOME tracks in this genre so much, but does´nt like most of it at all! Maybe i´m just too damn picky!

I've been bathing in warmth of this album for some time now, although I've heard negative comments regarding this compilation, I've enjoyed it tremendously and can't agree with the sceptics.

First of all, it's highest quality in any sense. Secondly, it's the first compilation from Ultimae since 2007 showcasing artists we all love and new faces like Field Rotation, who has probably the best track here. Compilation itself is well-balanced, has it's own slowly evolving and floating story.

Fav tracks: 1, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10.

What's interesting, I not only loved James Murray's album, but I enjoy it better than any of Ultimae's latest instalments, but I can't remember anything about his track here, though I listened to it more than 10 times. Also, I enjoyed Rena Jones' albums enormously, but I can't see her tracks next to Ultimae line-up. Not because of quality, they're both top, but because of the style. But that's probably taste.

I've been bathing in warmth of this album for some time now, although I've heard negative comments regarding this compilation, I've enjoyed it tremendously and can't agree with the sceptics.

First of all, it's highest quality in any sense. Secondly, it's the first compilation from Ultimae since 2007 showcasing artists we all love and new faces like Field Rotation, who has probably the best track here. Compilation itself is well-balanced, has it's own slowly evolving and floating story.

Fav tracks: 1, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10.

What's interesting, I not only loved James Murray's album, but I enjoy it better than any of Ultimae's latest instalments, but I can't remember anything about his track here, though I listened to it more than 10 times. Also, I enjoyed Rena Jones' albums enormously, but I can't see her tracks next to Ultimae line-up. Not because of quality, they're both top, but because of the style. But that's probably taste.

I have to agree with the Rena Jones track. It seems like the odd one out the bunch in terms of style, as you said.

Regenzeit II is probably my favourite track on here, maybe Longing For Silence. But yeah, Ultimae has to be my most favourite record label right now. Just love the flow that these artists possess and the quality sound. It's great.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the absolutely beautiful Murya track this is a boring compilation.

Sorry Ultimae.

While tastes differ (you and I seem to have very similar musical likes) I have to disagree with you here. This is another deep gem that only gets better with repeated listens. Try it again in the late afternoon when you want to relax. If you still find it empty, no biggie. There is always other music!

Mdk

• 1 month later...

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Released: 30th Sep 2009

Style: Ambient, Downtempo

Tracklist

1 Field Rotation - Regenzeit II 7:20

2 Kevin Andrew - Three Weeks 5:30

3 Rena Jones - Photosynthesis (Nalepa Remix) 7:09

4 Offthesky - Gently, Drown The Scene 6:28

5 Murya - Gray Daze 4:39

6 Cell - Out Of Breath 5:55

7 Aes Dana - Resin 7:23

8 Hol Baumann - Handwritten Notes 5:27

9 Asura - Longing For Silence 8:14

10 Solar Fields - Times Are Good (Sometimes Remix) 8:10

11 James Murray - Eleven (Decades Mix) 7:46

Imaginary Friends, a compilation of audio poetry collected by Nova was something I was not really expecting. I had no expectations of the album except that it would be up to Ultimae’s usual high standards. I still managed to be surprised though as this compilation is like nothing I have heard from Ultimae before yet still in keeping with the Ultimae feel. The first half at least is full of artists who have not yet before been released on Ultimae and they bring a fresh new look to it. This is a rare Ultimae release as I fell in love with it straight away. Something I am usually quite wary of as that might make me fall out of love with it just as easily. I gave it a heavy rotation in my CD player and I even played it two or three times back to back, a sure sign of a quality release. It’s a great blend of music with enticing atmospheres, melancholic melodies and cool relaxing beats.

Field Rotation’s heavy use of strings in Regenzeit II adds a nice mournful atmosphere extenuated by the sounds of rain. The piano track Three Weeks by Kevin Andrew continues with this acoustic blend of urban atmosphere’s and human weakness. Rena Jones is up next with Photosynthesis (Napela Remix) which seems to fit this album more than the original would have. The extra layer of scratchier atmosphere gives this a similar urban night time feel as the last two tracks while remaining true to the originals summery vibe, an odd mix but it works. Offthesky – Gently, Drown the Scene may be a play on words of his album Gently Down The Stream and is what you can expect from Offthesky but with an Ultimae edge to it. That is it is a glitchy scratchy track but with a deeper atmosphere than usual, very cool. My favourite track of the artists new to Ultimae is definitely Murya – Gray Daze of which I have never heard anything from before, on the strength of this track though I will be eagerly looking forward to hearing more in the future. It has a deep reverberating bass, a lush melody and cool chilled beats. It has the kind of sound that I find heart-warming in a sad kind of way and could really be a movie where the main character is in a period of depression, self-reflection.

The second half of the album contains tracks by more regular Ultimae contributors like Solar Fields, Asura and Aes Dana. Artists where you usually know where you stand, you are going to get some great deep tunes lovingly crafted by artists that really really care about the music they make. If this is what you are thinking then you wont be disappointed with the offerings here on Imaginary Friends.

Cell – Out of Breath is similar in style to his new album Hanging Masses in that it is cold and quite dark but it has more glitchy beats and scratchy atmospheres. It is nice that having a compilation track released close to his album, he didn’t just do the lazy thing a put a track from his album on this comp (or put this track on his album instead of making another). Aes Dana – Resin is another great Aes Dana track. Steady 4-4 beats in the latter part of the track, driving melodies and nice string like synths. Hol Baumann – Handwritten Notes I think has the best title for a track with a very human atmosphere, nice guitar and a bell like melody sounds very similar to his album Human and although it is very good it would be nice to see him try something a little different. Asura – Longing For Silence is making me look forward to his next album. The little ethnic melodies he puts in are great, never overpoweringly ethnic but just a nice subtle feel that makes you think of eastern culture in deep space! The best track on the compilation is definitely for me Solar Fields – Times Are Good (Something Remix) which is even better than the original which is on one of my all time favourite albums. It keeps faith with the original melody and style but adds more. More melody, more atmosphere and more feeling. I really really love this track and want to play it over and over again. We round of the compilation with another remix, James Murray – Eleven (Decades Remix) is a very ambient track to end with. It has very soft beats that just cradle your mind and stroke it softly and an atmosphere of sitting on a bench in the station watching the morning people rush by starting their day, safe in the knowledge that your day is done and only sleep beckons you.

Imaginary Friends is a great compilation, showcasing new talent along with established artists. Overall I prefer the new talent shown here, especially Murya and I hope that these artists will release more on Ultimae in the future. Their particular styles when merged with the overall Ultimae feel and mastered by Vince work wonders. The established artists are still great and Solar Fields never disappoints as the stand out on any compilation. If you like good quality downbeat then give this a chance. If you like Ultimae chances are you have already go this and have been playing it a lot.

• 3 months later...

I'm only becoming aware of this album now after seeing it in the "best of 2009" results. It won as the first "Best" Chill compilation! :o

It would be cool to have a sample link but I can find a page. :) The album sounds deep, intimate, contemplative, beautiful, and personal. Fortunately, it's available to legally download (in great quality, and for less) on Amazon here.

http://www.amazon.com/Imaginary-Friends/dp/B002QDUB30/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1272983904&sr=301-1

Samples

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=8177

• 5 years later...

p11Ph1r.jpg

Artist: Various

Date: September, 2009

1 Field Rotation - Regenzeit II 7:20
2 Kevin Andrew - Three Weeks 5:30
3 Rena Jones - Photosynthesis (Nalepa Remix) 7:09
4 Offthesky - Gently, Drown The Scene 6:28
5 Murya - Gray Daze 4:39
6 Cell - Out Of Breath 5:55
7 Aes Dana - Resin 7:23
8 Hol Baumann - Handwritten Notes 5:27
9 Asura - Longing For Silence 8:14
10 Solar Fields - Times Are Good (Sometimes Remix) 8:10
11 James Murray - Eleven (Decades Mix) 7:46

3Jm0KSs.jpg

Seriously that's her imaginary friend? You need to get that b*tch some help before you and your family get eaten. Well, at least she has an imaginary friend. I don't even have that. I'm a loner. Which rhymes with boner. Which I guess makes me a dick.

I'm cool with that.

Ultimae sets out to relax the masses with a varied downtempo compilation featuring some of your favorite artists. And the results are pretty damn good.

Regenzeit II- This is the opening credits to a movie where you see a wide shot of Pierce Brosnan driving his complimentary BMW along a snowy mountain highway. As we get closer to his very own personal whorehouse and the smooth ride passes us by we return to a wide shot and see the love nest from an elevated distance. Lucky f*ck. The tune is melancholic and thought provoking perfect for that taut, psychological thriller that a fleet of young, hipster douchebags are destined to ruin with a f*cking CGI dinosaur or some sh*t.

Three Weeks- More pensive piano and a touch of glitch as the liquid theme continues. It's pretty and more hopeful than the opener, but it didn't draw me in. Probably due to that lack of whores.

Photosynthesis (Nalepa Remix)- If you're a fan of the sad, brooding music then like me you probably have no friends. Or friends that will soon don an all black wardrobe and wax ironic about everything. Do yourself a favor and check out the music of Rena Jones. Beautiful and dark just the way we like it. With a remix of her track percussion makes its first appearance on the compilation yet it remains gentle. Dubby bass guides you and every sound is is soothing. A mellow ride that permits the mind to wander.

Gently, Drown the Scene- This is moving underwater, a super slo-mo live action with a sundry of sounds colliding without discernible melody. Picture a police chase of a guy high as a kite making his way down the interstate as the news cameras roll. On a tricycle. Everyone just sits back, relaxes, and enjoys themselves.

qGSJdso.gif

Realizing that McDonalds stops serving breakfast in 7 minutes and the dream of slathering himself in hotcake syrup was rapidly fading away, Chim-Chim dropped his poo arsenal and snatched Hillary Clinton's bicycle for a ride to greatness.

Gray Daze- Another slow jam, but with a sad melody that is easy to grab hold of. Rainy day music if I've ever heard it. Also shortest track on the compilation if you're keeping score.

Out of Breath- A project known for deep tracks and this is no exception. Lots to focus upon as it slowly unwinds. I don't think this is a grand statement, but just adds to the intensive chilled atmosphere of the album. Intense chill = sinking deeper into your most comfortable chair.

VOnMTpb.gif

Clearly Mindy needs more work on attaining that level of chill.

Resin- Aes Dana. Nuff said.

Handwritten Notes- This one had me until the lead got all weird. How instrument strangling is not a crime is anybody's guess.

Longing For Silence- Asura brings his taste for epic grandeur and he is not playing small ball. This is flying over the massive terrain of Alaska or witnessing Everest for the first time. Sound waves travel for miles and there is a sense that you are a part of something much greater than yourself.

Times Are Good (Sometimes Remix)- Epic Dream time part two. Now this was a very potent one two punch. Clearly my favorite part of the compilation.

Eleven (Decades Remix)- Welcome to the sultry aftermath where the detectives are left to pick up the pieces wondering why. Can you say outro?

What struck me about this release was the continuity of the chill vibe. Not a bad trip here yet the sum was greater than the individual parts. I felt the comp showcased different styles of chill and for me got stronger as you moved down the tracklist. Soothing and smooth from beginning to end. Highly recommended.

Digital Download at Ultimae

• 7 years later...