suggestions for monitors?

ive been making music for about a year now and i just recently saved up some money and have thought about getting some monitors and a decent sound card. i want to mainly use the equptiment for trance but there are some non trance stuff ive been meaning to record on guitar too. i probably don't want to spend over 300 dollars per monitor but ive been looking into a few monitors, mainly the krk rokkits and just recently i was looking at the Mackie M5 active monitors which i dont know much about. does anybody have any suggestions on which monitor would be good at an introductory level without a high price? as for the sound card im thinking about the M-audio delta 1010lt. any advice or suggestion is appreciated, thanks.

If you are in any way serious about your music and you think you ll upgrade your monitors in the following year or 2 to something better i'd recommend to wait and save up until you can really buy something good. Monitors are one of the most important parts of your music making chain. So it is worth spending some bucks on imho. Otherwise there is loads of options for your budget. Yamaha hs50m or hs80m are also not a bad choice.

thanks for the advice. Im wondering on how to actually wire the monitors since ive noticed that with powered monitors i can either go balanced TRS or unbalanced RCA. is there a really noticeable difference in quality?? the M-audio delta 1010lt doesnt have any TRS outputs so how would i go about connecting my monitors to it?

thanks for the advice. Im wondering on how to actually wire the monitors since ive noticed that with powered monitors i can either go balanced TRS or unbalanced RCA. is there a really noticeable difference in quality?? the M-audio delta 1010lt doesnt have any TRS outputs so how would i go about connecting my monitors to it?

jack to TRS?

or tulip to TRS? I am sure there is an option.

i'm quite pleased with my introductory level Alesis M 520's. dirt-cheap @ €200 a pair & real nice and clear to get a balanced mix on. only downside is that they sound "too good", with that i mean: excellent clarity to get a decently balanced mix of your tracks yes, but they blatantly fail to point out some obvious resonance issues here & there.

on the plus side, they're fantastic to just listen to music on. a friend has a pair of the yamaha's supergroover mentioned and tbh those are just built to make a critical mix on, they point out & exagerate every little flaw in the sound. the downside of those monitors is that they're not very pleasant to actually listen to. very harsh resonating sound overall imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Do like the real producers and have two sets of monitors.

The reason is because the powered studio monitors most people get make the music sound too good.

The Yamaha NS10s are the standard for mastering because if you can get your music to sound good on these, it'll sound good on anything.

I have a pair of KRK RP8 G2 and it's one of the best purchases I've ever done.

me too! :D

they sounds great..maybe the bass sounds too loud than others monitors..but definitely I like them.

Before bought them I was thinking about purchase the Yamaha HS80M. I've two friends with these and they also sound great, a bit flat than the KRK ones

I paid 390 euro for the pair