Following a genre

KozmikTentacles

I never understood that behaviour - Following a genre blindly. Here, there seems to be alot of people loyal to psy/goa, which is very natural since this is a goa/psy forum. Of course there are genres that I like more than others, but I never felt loyal to any of them.

So do you tend to follow a genre? Or are you open for everything?

I'm open to everything, its just that psy/goa is so good that I end up following it more than other genres. Otherwise all good music is welcome, doesn't matter where it comes from :) I like Drum & Bass a lot, and atleast something from all EDM genres like breakcore/techno/noise/classic trance/house etc... but psy/goa provides the maximum neural stimulation ^_^

I don't follow any particular genre, but after many years I have realized that the ideal music for me is psy/goa.

Actually not just the ideal music, but everything I've ever wanted from music I get the 95% of it from psy/goa.

So normally I follow psy/goa almost blindly.

But I'm open to everything, from techno to cheesy pop.

• 2 weeks later...

it's sorta the same here ... I get over 80% of what I want in music from "goa/psy" (which is often not goa/psy anymore but prog, but it's still in this genre)...

but I don't really follow the genre anymore so much ... I have my roster of well established artists and stuff that I like ... and even though it's always a pleasure to discover something new and exciting, this sort of has declined.

Mostly goa new or old school, but here is what is on my mp3 player:

Filteria- Daze of Our Lives

Afgin- Astral Experience

Radical Distortion- Psychedelic Dreams

Amithaba Buddha- Goa Gate

Mindsphere- Inner Cyclone

Merr0w- Born Underwater

Scarface- The Diary

Filter- The Amalgamut

Depeche Mode- Violator

Crystal Method- Vegas

Prodigy- Fat of the Land

Jay-Z- The Blueprint 3

Billy Joel- The Stranger

A-ha- Scoundrel Days

Alice in Chains- Dirt

Emerson Lake and Palmer- Brain Salad Surgery

You get the idea...

Mdk

Greetings,

My exposure to dance music was House, back in the 90's - then progressed onto Trance/Tech Trance/Hard House/a lil D&B (jump up stylee) then Psytrance a few years back, i rarely listen to any other genre now, Psy has ALL the elements that hit the spot with me - i'm not really into the darker/twisted side of things, more of the uplifting melodic side of things - but hey, thats me !!

So do you tend to follow a genre? Or are you open for everything?

I'm open to almost everything, but in practice there's a much, much higher proportion of psytrance that I like than there is of any other genre. That's why I follow it - it has nothing to do with loyalty, it's just something that gives me a considerably better return on the time I invest, say, reading psynews, than I would get from listening to BBC Radio 1 or reading a general music forum.

Are we talking about just electronic or all forms of music here?

I would like to believe that i have pretty diverse taste overall. Except doom metal, gothic rock there isnt anything at all that i do not like

As far as electronic is concerned i listen to pretty much everything that is dished out except vocal trance i.e infected mushroom etc

I have to agree with most people here. I'm open to most forms of music.

But I will follow a genre if the majority of the music in it is actually good and keeps me interested. Most recently, I've been in a dubstep phase. My playlist at the moment contains 99% dubstep (or close variations thereof). And I'll poke around on youtube for more dubstep or go to sites and look for more dubstep. I do this with most genres that I am interested in.

Although, I might not necessarily call it "following" a genre more than just exploring one. Following seems to imply that one has been doing it for a lengthy period of time (to me, anyway). Which is not really the case for me unless it's things that I've been listening to since I was a kid (back then it was almost all alternative rock because I didn't have money and I didn't have a computer). And since I don't really listen to alt rock anymore, I guess I'm saying I don't really follow any genre. Provided that you define what the length of time you attribute to following a genre would be. In which case, if say you been following a genre for more than a year: then yes, I would say that I've been following certain ones more than others.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm open to everything but have my favourite genres in which I think I like more than I do with other genres.

For me average ambient is better than average rock but great rock is still great, you know?

Good question.

I followed goa trance a lot, listened to all the releases even the stuff that was crap. (But most of it is my favorite music!)

I don't follow psytrance. Listened to a few releases from here and there and only found an odd few that were good compared with oldschool goa.

Now I am following chillout. I listen to most of it that I can, even though lots of it is crap also. I try to give them all a chance.

I'm also following ambient [& ambient techno, old IDM] retroactively and discovered there are a lot of gems over the years.

I basically stop following genres that are dead (goa, classic trance), other than the odd rare release that might pop up.

The goal is to hear good music. When I find a genre with some potential for me to really like it, then I try to listen to all the stuff I might like. It's hard to find stuff outside the genres you already know because it takes many listens often to understand them.

The metal genre is going quite strong with me too ... and some dark ambient. But it has declined aswell, I do not have time anymore to follow it so much. Since it's underground and you don't get it stuffed up your arse at every radio station, staying up to date (at least somewhat) and reading reviews and stuff eats quite some time! But generally, these are the other genres I follow. Them and some other stuff, a conglomerate of indescribable stuff ranging from Attwenger up to jazz with alphorns ... but I'm not following any of that passionately, just stumble upon these artists on some occasion and then decide to keep them in my memory. There's quite a lot of that stuff too.