Capsula - Sense of a Drop

McKennaDMT

Originally posted on my new review website: http://psyreviews.tr...of-a-drop-2009/

This is my first review. Thanks for reading.

Info

Artist: Capsula

Album: Sense of a Drop

Format: CD (Digipak)

Label: Waveform Records

Catalog #: WAV 09101-2

Release Date: 9/09/09

Posted Image

Tracks:

1. The 9 (6:57)

2. Myth (7:53)

3. Galvanizing (7:45)

4. To See I (7:02)

5. Illusion Hill (7:44)

6. Mindfulness Intention (5:56)

7. I Still Know That I Know (7:03)

8. Mundi (7:37)

9. Golden Orb (9:04)

10. Zero One Blues (6:58)

Total Time: 74:23

If you're into psychedelic ambient/chill/downtempo then you've probably heard the name Capsula. If not, now's the time. Capsula is Yosef Shamay of Israel and is one of a handful of artists that truly define what "psychedelic electronic music" is all about. I also believe he's been completely influenced by the video game music programmers of 20 years ago, especially the music from Road Rash 3 on Sega Genesis. But that's just me.

His first full-length album, Synthesis of Reality, was released on Ajana Records in 2005. He's had tracks on compilations from Ajana, Peak Records, Moonstone Records, and Liquid Records. After four long years, he's out with his second album, Sense of a Drop, on Waveform Records.

Here we go...

#1 - The 9

The album begins with a sound of a mechanized covering opening up and we are immediately ascending. Welcome to the world of Capsula. The first of what is to be many vocal samples comes in. The song takes off with the beat and bass line at :42. We are now surrounded by the (hopefully) familiar Capsula sound: psychedelic stretching, squelching, and scratching sounds floating and spinning in all conceivable directions, many layers of effected rhythms, heady bass lines, and vocal samples that spring up from the ether, pitching up and down, up and down, making the left hemisphere of your brain work just a bit. The entire song feels like an unmedicated but happy, schizophrenic watchmaker is winding up a million clocks for 7 minutes. A good primer to set the mood and style for the rest of the album.

#2 - Myth

Track 2 begins with arcs of electricity circling above, while another sample, this time about personal mythology, plays. A surprising and smokey trumpet line comes in around 3:10, which wasn't expected at all but it's lovely as the sounds of computerized beetles skuddle around in the background. The electricity arcs resurface with another sample. A few minutes later the trumpet reappears and then we're treated to a gated-melody line that will be instantly recognizable to those familiar with Capsula's first album. The song completes with a fade to silence. This is psychedelic downtempo at it's best.

#3 - Galvanizing

Galvanizing: "to stimulate or treat (muscles or nerves) with induced direct current; to startle into sudden activity".

How appropriate that this track follows the last one. Both meanings of the word are utilized in this track. The bass line and signature sound effects are definitely stimulating and for some reason the word pulverizing comes to mind too, probably because of the bass! The samples of Stephen A. Hoeller take care of the second definition: about the electrifying feeling of non-ordinary experiences. Here is our first taste of some chest-thudding bass on the album. The bass line is deep. A pleasing pad develops along with some piano melodies that will play throughout the majority of the track. At the 5:23 mark we hear a melody line that reminds me of a similar but sped-up sound from Road Rash 3 on Sega Genesis, which I mentioned at the start. It's akin to the same sounds on Retro Inversion from Capsula's first album. The song concludes with a delayed, solo piano melody. Definitely the best track of the first three.

#4 - To See I

Funky opening. Sounds are everywhere, as usual. More piano again at 1:45, wonderfully placed, especially the high notes. Some more Road Rash-effected sounds (this is a compliment!) emerge, taking us to the last third of the song, which eventually fades out with another piano melody. A nice and relaxing track that moves effortlessly the whole way through.

#5 - Illusion Hill

Track 5 begins a lot slower than the previous tracks. It's more groovy and the psychedelic sounds are held back a bit and don't really take off until about 3 minutes in. The track takes a different turn around 4:00 with a humorous sample from Futurama:

I went to another Universe and fell in love with a Giant Octopus; and now I'm Pope of a new religion.

The song then picks up steam and now we're really rocking here. The whole sound field is alive now and an electric guitar line materializes to take us to the last third of the track. The song slows back down again with some high pitched whirring sounds that pan back and forth. I really like this track. Lots going on.

#6 - Mindfulness Intention

The shortest track of the album, track 6 begins somewhat mournfully or at least more serious. The beat comes in 15 seconds later, bass line following. I really like how Capsula can create emotions with the bass lines. It's pretty unique. Around the 2:45 mark we get the requisite synth work that's Capsula's staple. Nicely played, pleasant and works well. This, however, is the weakest track in my opinion. It's the least interesting of the bunch and it's a shame that he puts it ahead of the powerhouse that is the next track. Something is missing here, but then again, maybe I'm just not being mindful enough.

#7 - I Still Know That I Know

I'll admit, as soon as I saw the track listing for this album, this track was the one I wanted to hear the most. It's the sequel to I Know that I Know, from his first album. That track was one of my favorites too. This track is immediately recognizable as a sequel because Alan Watts begins it. I'm a huge fan of Alan Watts and anytime an artist can incorporate his words successfully, it can work great. The samples are new, not seen in the first track, but the original sample is also included to remind you of it, a nice touch. This entire song has something going on at all times. When I think of Capsula, this is what I hear in my head. There are layers upon layers working here and they all belong here, everything works. The same melody lines are present from the original but expanded upon.

A second set of samples comes in half way through which, not surprising at all, are an extension of the original sample. On the original the Watts says:

We are all so fascinated with recording things. Taking photographs, writing them down and above all remembering them. Because you see if you don't remember anything, you don't know you're there. A person who has total amnesia and lived in a split second only wouldn't know he was there.

The sample here builds on the concept:

The in and the out, the raw moment and the memory.... See memory, if you didn't remember it, you wouldn't know there was going to be a tomorrow, because there isn't one. "Tomorrow" is an illusion. It simply isn't here, where is it? Now this is perfectly marvelous!

As soon as the sample ends the track kicks it up a notch and the whole sound field is alive. There's really a lot going on here! The track ends with another sample of Watts. Highlight of the album...by far.

#8 - Mundi

This track is the most interesting one of the entire album. It starts with some interesting live bass and transitions into a nice piece of music, with some ethereal female vocals singing softly in the background. I wasn't sure exactly where this going to go but it took me by surprise. The bass line is still playing underneath everything but the whole emotional tone of the song has changed. It's not at all what I expected and I like it, I like it a lot. It's very mystical and alive. I think without the bass line the track would be entirely different. It's the anchor that won't let the song, or your mind, drift off into the unconscious clouds. It keeps you grounded and focused on all of the other sounds that are playing simultaneously.

#9 - Golden Orb

Track 9 has already been featured on the Liquid Records compilation, Soul Vibration 2. Here's what Capsula had to say about the track on the Isratrance boards:

The 'golden orb' track is remastered and re-edited, minor changes in kicks and speech samples so the sound is much better and coherent with the rest of the tracks but i would say its basically the same and not a remix.

The track itself is strong. Great samples, steady guitar throughout. Squelching, hairy sounds revolving around space at all times. Again, there is a lot going on in this track, but it all fits together perfectly. A fantastic track, even if it's already been released. Who cares?

#10 - Zero One Blues

Perfect track to end a damn great album. This is about as "chilled" as I think Capsula will get. It's got some crafty guitar work from Salient Dummy sprinkled about half way through the song and to end the song, the guitar returns and returns by itself. The track ends on a sample stating:

Reality is what you make of it.

Hopefully you've picked up on the idea that I absolutely love this album from start to finish. It is utterly unique in almost every aspect you can think of. This album is the very definition of psychedelic and I'll be playing this for years to come, no doubt. Do yourself a favor and pick up this album as quickly as possible. Only $10 at Waveform!

Top 3 Tracks:

• I Still Know That I Know
  • Mundi
  • Galvanizing
External Links

Capsula: http://www.dreamcapsula.com/

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Capsula

Waveform Records: http://www.waveformhq.com/

Purchase:

Waveform

Psyshop

Amazon

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this album on iTunes a week or 3 ago. Seen the fact that I even mailed Capsula once about 'Sinthesis of Reality', I was that crazy about it. That album still holds a special place in my heart since a guy who introduced me into psy and the whole scene (;)) sent me the track 'out there somewhere' once. That, together with the rest of the album he gave me, sparked a search for other psy which results in my massive collection I have now :D Must have listened to that album a hundred times, with tracks like Human mentality and Ride the Wave as the best I guess.

So I bought this album and I have listened to it a few times and what I notice is that alot of sounds are reused from the old album. That isn't so strange since there is a continuation of a previous track (I know that I know) but it doesn't sound very new.. Untill now the album is OK and I must listen to it a few times more I guess. Will report back then. But until now it doesn't really shock me.

I bought this album on iTunes a week or 3 ago. Seen the fact that I even mailed Capsula once about 'Sinthesis of Reality', I was that crazy about it. That album still holds a special place in my heart since a guy who introduced me into psy and the whole scene (;)) sent me the track 'out there somewhere' once. That, together with the rest of the album he gave me, sparked a search for other psy which results in my massive collection I have now :D Must have listened to that album a hundred times, with tracks like Human mentality and Ride the Wave as the best I guess.

So I bought this album and I have listened to it a few times and what I notice is that alot of sounds are reused from the old album. That isn't so strange since there is a continuation of a previous track (I know that I know) but it doesn't sound very new.. Untill now the album is OK and I must listen to it a few times more I guess. Will report back then. But until now it doesn't really shock me.

I am in the process of reviewing this album. It didn't strike me either at firs, but it has grown on me. Still, I think it has great parts, and lesser good parts. What stroke me most, was I had a friend over and put on this album. Then I experienced the album in a whole new way. It seems as this album works wonders with friends, when in the background. During a thourough listen the album doesn't make it all the way, this might change aswell though. But there is no doubt that it's a good album.

• 2 weeks later...

This psychedelic dub that he employs is quite impressive. Sometimes it seems he crams either too many sounds together or the sounds he uses are a little to frenetic for my tastes. It can become tiring to the ear. However, the majority of the album is a good listen. Not many people use this style. It is very melodic and has a ton of layers to sift through. I believe this to be a great album. Relaxing and psychedelic at the same time.

Mdk

This psychedelic dub that he employs is quite impressive. Sometimes it seems he crams either too many sounds together or the sounds he uses are a little to frenetic for my tastes. It can become tiring to the ear. However, the majority of the album is a good listen. Not many people use this style. It is very melodic and has a ton of layers to sift through. I believe this to be a great album. Relaxing and psychedelic at the same time.

Mdk

You pretty much nailed my own opinon! :)

• 1 month later...

Capsula - Sense of a Drop
( Waveform , Sep. 2009 )

Posted Image

Tracklisting:
1. The 9 6:57
2. Myth 7:53
3. Galvanizing 7:45
4. To See I 7:02
5. Illusion Hill 7:44
6. Mindfulness Intention 5:56
7. I Still Know That I Know 7:03
8. Mundi 7:37
9. Golden Orb 9:04
10. Zero One Blues 6:58

Take some idm, downtempo, a big portion of dub, add a little bit of lounge, a hint of jazz, a touch of spacey atmospheres, some crisp sounds, insightful voice samples, a big load of playfulness, good production and composition. Put it all in a blender, mix for a continuous five minutes and voila! What you are holding in your goblet is no less than Capsula's Sense of a Drop. Well this is if you want to describe it the easy way. Let's elaborate....

This album is very psychedelic, not only in the structure of each track but also in regard of how Capsula presents you with different states of consciousness. The production and composition are great. Yosi does a great job twisting the sounds and making you feel like you are tumbling down a spiral, getting split into a million pieces and then pushed through a black hole and being reassembled on the other side, levitating towards some brighter place or dwindling down into the more contemplative depths of the mind. The sound and feel of the music is constantly shifting, morphing into new moods and atmospheres. The album feels very unpretentious; it's not trying to be anything fancy, or to give the listener something new or groundbreaking. I get the feeling that Capsula is trying to just give the listener a good ride. Fans of dubby downtempo will surely enjoy this, and if you have an aptitude for crisp sounds used in great production it will suit you like a glove.

Let's talk a little bit about the structure, or more precisely the form of the album. As I mentioned earlier there is a ton of variety in there. It's quite puzzling since the album throughout doesn't go from genre to genre, since in any particular track you can find a wide variety of them. But if you look at the album as an entity there is a structure to be found, beginning on the mellow side of things, gradually becoming more intense and groovy and then ending as it started. And when the last track Zero One Blues hits, it's really a relief. Not a relief because what preceded it is bad, but as having finished a long workout or finally understood a hard mathematical endeavor. A workout for the mind.

So all is bright under the sun? Well actually not, there are some problems with this release. The diversity is great, production as well. At times the album sounds great and at other times not so great, as a whole the album is a little bit inconsistent in quality. Sometimes it feels as the emphasis has been put on good production and composition rather than trying to transcend something genuine. But this can be a matter of personal taste, I rather have an artist focusing on one type of genre or direction and then perfecting it.

Recomendation: A good album made with joy spinning through extremely many different genres, it's really hard to define this, and why bother, it's music. It does not need defining. All you need to know is that this is a great album, so gather your friends around and just have a good time!
Favorite tracks:1, 2, 6-8, 10.

This review was originally written for Isratrance